Ryan Lowe, Wednesday legend

On 10/09/2021 at 17:01, Ian said:

Interesting comments about Catterick so I’m wondering where Wilkinson and Atkinson fit in to your list?

Brilliant managers both of them BUT unless you saw the 1960’s team that Catterick built and finished runners up to Spurs in 1960/61 then you may have second thoughts. I have mentioned this prior to today but he asked the board to buy 2-3 players and he/we would win the League- their response was

“you have a good team, keep it”. 

History often repeats itself.

Chris Turner took us down with a bunch of largely overpaid wasters after fluffing chances to stay up. He was then given the opportunity to bring in new recruits, and they initially looked good additions, but he couldn’t get them to gel. We were hammered 3-0 by a Plymouth side and shortly afterwards CT was sacked and the Plymouth manager, Paul Sturrock, recruited who then got us promoted.

Will Ryan Lowe will be our new Paul Sturrock?

More seriously, early days for DM with his new recruits but he knew the pressure would be on if we were outside the top 6.

On 11/09/2021 at 13:49, owlsruleok said:

Brilliant managers both of them BUT unless you saw the 1960’s team that Catterick built and finished runners up to Spurs in 1960/61 then you may have second thoughts. I have mentioned this prior to today but he asked the board to buy 2-3 players and he/we would win the League- their response was

“you have a good team, keep it”. 

Youre right in that I didnt see the Catterick team, however Wilkinson said almost exactly the same and went on to prove it by taking most of the team to Leeds, adding Strachan and a couple of others and winning the league. Personally given his playing time and recent involvement I'd have to have Wilkinson at the top of any managers list (whilst being aware that I wasnt around in the Catterick days)

• Like 2

The signs are that Ryan Lowe has adapted Argyle's style a bit this season, having been criticised for too much 'tippy tappy' football, playing it out slowly from the back etc. (Ring any bells?)

They now mix it up a lot more and can be very rapid and direct on the counter attack. Striker Ryan Hardie looks like he is one to watch as well as his manager.

On 13/09/2021 at 11:10, Ian said:

Youre right in that I didnt see the Catterick team, however Wilkinson said almost exactly the same and went on to prove it by taking most of the team to Leeds, adding Strachan and a couple of others and winning the league. Personally given his playing time and recent involvement I'd have to have Wilkinson at the top of any managers list (whilst being aware that I wasnt around in the Catterick days)

The thing is, though, that Wilko could never have had that sort of backing here because of the system we then operated.

Leeds had an owner, Leslie Silver, who was pouring cash in, whereas our board couldn't.

Atkinson wanted Strachan, but we couldn't match what Leeds were offering him, even though they were in a lower division.

Even his Man Utd ex-team mates were surprised at what he was on at Leeds.