On this day in 2019 - Garry Monk…

13 hours ago, 83owl said:

Show me one of my posts where I’ve said I think he’s a good manager.

Jesus f’in Christ. Why do you keep banging on about him if you don’t?

13 hours ago, 83owl said:

The article below shows the lifespan of managers at the start of the 19-20 season. The average of championship managers was 1year and 1 week so your “evidence” of him being sacked typically before 18 months showing him to be a poor manager quite simply isn’t true, in fact it shows he lasts longer than average.

https://sqaf.club/average-premier-league-championship-manager-time-in-job/

That’s a logical fallacy.  The fact that he lasted longer than the average doesn’t mean he’s not a poor manager. Lot’s of things play into when a chairman pulls the trigger. Even if everything was equal (which it isn’t) the best you could argue was that he was better than the others. A crap car that’s better than the other crap cars in the showroom is still a crap car.

Look, I’ve got nothing personal against Monk. On a human level I hope he learns from his experience here and in other jobs and goes on to be successful at whatever he chooses to do.

As the managers here, it didn’t work out. He’s gone. It’s history. Personally I think he has significant failings as a manager which he needs to work on if he is to have a successful career.

You might think different. You are entitled to. I don’t care.

16 hours ago, jamthesun said:

Jesus f’in Christ. Why do you keep banging on about him if you don’t?

That’s a logical fallacy.  The fact that he lasted longer than the average doesn’t mean he’s not a poor manager. Lot’s of things play into when a chairman pulls the trigger. Even if everything was equal (which it isn’t) the best you could argue was that he was better than the others. A crap car that’s better than the other crap cars in the showroom is still a crap car.

Look, I’ve got nothing personal against Monk. On a human level I hope he learns from his experience here and in other jobs and goes on to be successful at whatever he chooses to do.

As the managers here, it didn’t work out. He’s gone. It’s history. Personally I think he has significant failings as a manager which he needs to work on if he is to have a successful career.

You might think different. You are entitled to. I don’t care.

You’re the one who brought up “typically he’s been sacked after less than 18 months” as some kind of yardstick to measure him by. After all your posturing about providing “evidence” which I duly did you then just shift the goalposts again so it’s no wonder he’s a poor manager if every time you get proved wrong you just shift the goal posts to suit your agenda.

I don’t particularly like or dislike him, he’s just another run of the mill efl manager the same as many others.
What I do dislike however are the constant baseless throwaway comments by the same posters that have nothing more to say other than “Monk is a terrible manager” or “worst manager ever”

The same posters who then just disregard any evidence that is contrary to their opinion, The same posters who were spaffing their pants when we brought Pulis in as now we had a “proper manager” then we’re suddenly less excited once results didn’t go our way which is starting to look like a familiar pattern.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 83owl said:

You’re the one who brought up “typically he’s been sacked after less than 18 months” as some kind of yardstick to measure him by. After all your posturing about providing “evidence” which I duly did you then just shift the goalposts again so it’s no wonder he’s a poor manager if every time you get proved wrong you just shift the goal posts to suit your agenda.

I don’t particularly like or dislike him, he’s just another run of the mill efl manager the same as many others.
What I do dislike however are the constant baseless throwaway comments by the same posters that have nothing more to say other than “Monk is a terrible manager” or “worst manager ever”

The same posters who then just disregard any evidence that is contrary to their opinion, The same posters who were spaffing their pants when we brought Pulis in as now we had a “proper manager” then we’re suddenly less excited once results didn’t go our way which is starting to look like a familiar pattern.

This will be my last comment on this thread. I've spent far too much time on Monk than he deserves.

Monk's history shows that when things are good he can achieve results. He did that here, at Swansea and at Leeds. Unfortunately when things aren't good he doesn't know how to change things positively. He was sacked from Swansea after a run of one win in eleven. He missed out on promotion with Leeds after a terrible run in the last 8 games. Same here - a good run followed by 6 months of purgatory.

He can't seem to get the best out of players - freezing senior plyers out of the team which he did here and at Birmingham is not good management.

So I think he's a poor manager because he has shown in most of his managerial positions that he can't manage effectively consistently, and when the pressure is on he doesn't know what to do.

You might think I'm being unfair. I don't care.