Jump to content

ENGLAND VS HUNGARY matchday thread


Recommended Posts

The golden generation teams of 02, 04, 06 had some good individuals but couldn’t keep the ball and manage a game to save their lives. This lot are better at that and are a much stronger squad - Maddison can’t even get in it. Essentially they have a way of playing which they all understand and it is a system that can wear the opposition down - tonight was a good example.

I just hope Southgate has the cojones to play enough creative players to actually win games unlike the semi against Croatia and the final against Italy, both of which he bottled. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

 

There are two stages to qualifying:

 

Group stage

 

Teams will be split into ten groups of five or six (the four teams who reached the 2021 UEFA Nations League finals – Belgium, France, Italy, Spain – will be in the smaller groups). The ten group winners qualify for the World Cup.

 

Play-offs

 

The ten group runners-up are joined by the two best group winners of the 2020/21 UEFA Nations League overall ranking that have neither qualified directly for the final tournament as European Qualifiers group winners, nor entered the play-offs already as European Qualifiers group runners-up. The 12 teams will be drawn into three play-off paths for one-off semi-finals and a final. The three path winners qualify for the World Cup.

 

 

Could you maybe explain quantum theory instead please

 

The world cup quali is too complicated...

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Owl Be Back said:

Well played England. Tougher game than the result suggests and abhorrent crowd behaviour. Sick of the booing, monkey chanting and racism.

Will UEFA ever get tough with the low lives? Another 10 grand fine coming no doubt. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Will UEFA ever get tough with the low lives? Another 10 grand fine coming no doubt. 

Just read that UEFA actually banned the supporters following incidents at the euros but as this is a FIFA game they were allowed back in. Absolutely incredible. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So if England are Black Balled in one of them egg thingies we are doomed. Is that correct.?

 

The whole process should take two full days and all FIFA execs will be put up in 5 star luxury together with an open Bar.

During the draw Topless Bunny Girls will serve Wines, Spirits and a range of Beers from all over the world with a range of soft drinks.

Food will be unlimited from an extensive range of Shell fish from Winkles to Snow Crab Legs & Claws. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Owl Be Back said:

Well played England. Tougher game than the result suggests and abhorrent crowd behaviour. Sick of the booing, monkey chanting and racism.

 

Yep. 

 

It's the same old story, it's just utterly pathetic and boring. Ban fans from thier games until they can garentee it doesn't happen. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, DeBilde'sTea said:

 

Yep. 

 

It's the same old story, it's just utterly pathetic and boring. Ban fans from thier games until they can garentee it doesn't happen. 


Or ban the country altogether that’s the only thing that might make them think twice. 

  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, owls maniac said:

Just read that UEFA actually banned the supporters following incidents at the euros but as this is a FIFA game they were allowed back in. Absolutely incredible. 

Let’s all stand together against racism! Kick it out! 

 

FIFA ‘well they weren’t racist at any our our competitions’ 🤷🏼‍♂️
 

Fantastic message to send.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sefton owl said:


Or ban the country altogether that’s the only thing that might make them think twice. 

Has to be done. Nothing else has worked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It needs investigating before deciding on what punishment to give. I don’t think you should ban a whole country because of the actions of a few mindless idiots. 
 

How many were doing it and can’t they just be identified and banned.. when we played Bulgaria a few years ago it was so bad that you could hear it on TV and see them making the gestures. Last night the players said they didn’t hear it as did Southgate and if it wasn’t for the media going on about it nobody would have known. 
 

Sky and ITV love stirring the pot on this so if you had one idiot doing it they’d give them the oxygen they’re looking for.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Last night the players said they didn’t hear it as did Southgate and if it wasn’t for the media going on about it nobody would have known. 
 

Sky and ITV love stirring the pot on this so if you had one idiot doing it they’d give them the oxygen they’re looking for.

Totally 100% 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

It needs investigating before deciding on what punishment to give. I don’t think you should ban a whole country because of the actions of a few mindless idiots. 
 

How many were doing it and can’t they just be identified and banned.. when we played Bulgaria a few years ago it was so bad that you could hear it on TV and see them making the gestures. Last night the players said they didn’t hear it as did Southgate and if it wasn’t for the media going on about it nobody would have known. 
 

Sky and ITV love stirring the pot on this so if you had one idiot doing it they’d give them the oxygen they’re looking for.

Agreed its a real dilemma. My experience in Hungary (holiday) was of a very friendly and polite people. They do seem to have an 'Ultra' element though that lets down the majority. Most of them quite likely only attend matches as a platform for their bile. Ban the country from tournaments or ban spectators will see the decent majority of fans suffering whilst the racists move on to another venue to exhibit their toxic attitudes  and behaviours.

Hungary is not alone in this either as you've hinted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, scram said:

 

 

Could you maybe explain quantum theory instead please

 

The world cup quali is too complicated...

 

It's all about quarks, especially Strange and Charm, and leptons.  They are just the Flavours. Then there are Colours to bring in to the equation. It is a complicated. But that's FIFA for ya!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We, as a Nation,  cannot hold the hihj ground on this, unfortunately> A lot of this is simply Football Hooliganism' in a different disguise. Calling a black playyer a 'monkey', whilst being most offensive, isn't institutionally racist. It's no different from calling a player names becuse he played for anaother club, or stuck the boot inseveral times.As for throughing paper cups etc , I believe that it occured once a long time ago, when a club's supporters bombarded the pitch with seat cushions. For some reason, football seems to attract the dregs of humanity far more than any other sport. Maybe the time has come to ban football. paricularly in its international form, all together .

Or maybe, the problem lies elsewhere. Maybe in the publicity it receives. Last night's coverage concentrated more on the aggro than on the football itself. Much was made of the name calling than the fact that Harry Kane made a complete ass of himself by scoring a relatively hard chance whilst missing 3 complete sitters that even a Wednesday forward would have found it diffivcukt to miss.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Sefton owl said:


Or ban the country altogether that’s the only thing that might make them think twice. 

 

Why should millions of decent Hungarians have their joy stripped away because of a tiny minority?  When Tango was banned, should we all have been banned or should SWFC have been kicked out?  

 

His/their actions, him/they to be punished.    Anything else is just nonsense and a massive regressive step because it tars people as a group based on the actions of individuals.  Imagine expanding that viewpoint to other things in society.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

We, as a Nation,  cannot hold the hihj ground on this, unfortunately> A lot of this is simply Football Hooliganism' in a different disguise. Calling a black playyer a 'monkey', whilst being most offensive, isn't institutionally racist. It's no different from calling a player names becuse he played for anaother club, or stuck the boot inseveral times.As for throughing paper cups etc , I believe that it occured once a long time ago, when a club's supporters bombarded the pitch with seat cushions. For some reason, football seems to attract the dregs of humanity far more than any other sport. Maybe the time has come to ban football. paricularly in its international form, all together .

Or maybe, the problem lies elsewhere. Maybe in the publicity it receives. Last night's coverage concentrated more on the aggro than on the football itself. Much was made of the name calling than the fact that Harry Kane made a complete ass of himself by scoring a relatively hard chance whilst missing 3 complete sitters that even a Wednesday forward would have found it diffivcukt to miss.

 

The euros final did show we can't hold moral high ground in some ways. That behaviour was embaressing and I hope he find the nobs that did that. 

 

I do think on the racism front, though we have a way to go our racism is at a different level. When a player of colour is abused on a match day here the single perpetrator (usually) is found, outed on social media, banned and ostracised (rightly so). There's a certain degree of self imposed justice we apply. 

 

It doesn't make the offence any less but it isn't entire section of the crowd doing it over and over and over like we see with games like last night. 

 

Our bigger issue is social media. I wish those cretins who send monkey emojis to Rashford, Sterling, Sako could be found and punished but as these nitwits often don't use personal details znd media companies don't clamp down as hard as they can its more difficult. 

 

Racism not only has no place in football, it has no place in society. Being racist and a football fan is about the stupidest thing you can be given the unparallled contribution that player from all backgrounds have made to the sport.  

  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

We, as a Nation,  cannot hold the hihj ground on this, unfortunately> A lot of this is simply Football Hooliganism' in a different disguise. Calling a black playyer a 'monkey', whilst being most offensive, isn't institutionally racist. It's no different from calling a player names becuse he played for anaother club, or stuck the boot inseveral times.As for throughing paper cups etc , I believe that it occured once a long time ago, when a club's supporters bombarded the pitch with seat cushions. For some reason, football seems to attract the dregs of humanity far more than any other sport. Maybe the time has come to ban football. paricularly in its international form, all together .

Or maybe, the problem lies elsewhere. Maybe in the publicity it receives. Last night's coverage concentrated more on the aggro than on the football itself. Much was made of the name calling than the fact that Harry Kane made a complete ass of himself by scoring a relatively hard chance whilst missing 3 complete sitters that even a Wednesday forward would have found it diffivcukt to miss.

 

So basically you are saying it's no big deal, it's only the same as other kinds of crowd behaviour that could be construed as ' impolite' and has been happening for ages, and you might as well ban football if you are going to make a big deal of this? 

 

Also, somehow, it's been blown out of proportion because some people actually rate this disgusting behaviour a lot more newsworthy than another straightforward predictable win in qualifying for England?  

 

I should bloody well hope that bigotry in the game that reflects a huge problem in society, gets more publicity than the latest flat track bullying by Harry Kane as he stumbles towards the national goal scoring record.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...