OFFICIAL BERAHINO SIGNS FOR SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

His history makes Nile Ranger look like a saint. But I guess that’s not the whole picture. Absolutely cannot condone drink driving for any reason… it literally destroys lives.

on the flip side he has had it harder than most and I’m sympathetic about that.

I think he needs Sheffield Wednesday and DM more than we need him right now for that last chance saloon, but that will change if DM can get a tune out of him as he is different to the other striking options we have

wish him well, as it sounds like he needs good people and pros around him and at the club we have those. Also needs a manager who can help him get back to where he once was and I believe we have that too.

hopefully the worst is behind him and he absolutely rips this league a new one

• Like 1

Nile Ranger was much worse and in with a bad crowd. But was a cut above in league one also.

The relationship with DM has promise. He seems hard work and WBA tolerated that, no one else has seemingly done so. But assuming this is a short term deal, SB has much more to lose than Wednesday who can simply play one or two others if he’s not at it and then where does he go?

He has to at least put a shift in and if the quality is there then you’d hope that would begin to show. Whilst he hasn’t torn up the Belgian league he hasn’t exactly flopped either so I’d expect him to get a few goals. 

• Like 1

It's exciting having a player of potentially Premier League quality in the side. I wouldn't say we had that before Berahino joined, and when was the last time we could? Even when we were lucky enough to have players like Ross Barkley, Antonio and Martinez at Hillsborough they were all very raw.

There's a high chance he'll not reach his previous levels with us, of course, otherwise he wouldn't be in League One. But he's proven that he once had it in him, and there's an actual possibility of Moore pulling it out of him again. He should be in his peak years at his age, and at this level he won't even need to be at his best to look like a world beater.

This is the kind of signing that could put thousands on the gate if it works out. I don't think that's an exaggeration, if anything it's an understatement if he contributes towards us challenging at the top end of the division.

Edited by Dan™
  • Like 5

On 31/08/2021 at 21:11, Rogers said:

A player I have disliked in the past for many reasons 

Refusing to play to force a move 

Drugs and getting banned from playing 

Starting a charity and keeping the money

Drink driving

Generally being rubbish and not scoring for 2.5 years 

And he’s one of these types that says he’s religious and does bible studies; born against Christian type.  But still acts that acts like a complete idiot

Good luck SWFC with this signing 

I’m amazed he’s not joined us with that record.

We know how to deal with drink drivers.

sack the injured passenger (club captain) for gross misconduct and make the driver the new club captain 👍

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 01/09/2021 at 08:11, Rogers said:

A player I have disliked in the past for many reasons 

Refusing to play to force a move 

Drugs and getting banned from playing 

Starting a charity and keeping the money

Drink driving

Generally being rubbish and not scoring for 2.5 years 

And he’s one of these types that says he’s religious and does bible studies; born against Christian type.  But still acts that acts like a complete idiot

Good luck SWFC with this signing 

Think he's kept out of bother for a couple of years now. The Rio podcast certainly changed my perspective on him. You should give it a listen oh righteous one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest LondonOwl313
2 hours ago, Weshallovercome said:

He'll be vaccinated, we're well up to his age group and I believe footy players have to be vaxed to play.

They don't have to be because I saw when the premier league managers did their weekly press conferences Sky were asking them about whether all the players were vaccinated and they were mainly saying the clubs are encouraging them to take it but its a personal choice.

Sums him up really if he's refused to have it.

1 hour ago, Dollydaydream said:

Think he's kept out of bother for a couple of years now. The Rio podcast certainly changed my perspective on him. You should give it a listen oh righteous one.

Same here. It’s a very interesting watch. As someone who was a complete tail in my 20s ( and there’s some that will say I still am in my sixties) I can sympathise if not condone what he did.

But understanding why someone’s behaviour is poor, and the individual recognising it, is a major step in resolving it.

That podcast to me says the lad is desperate to be loved. I really think DM and Wednesday can provide that.

If he is going to change. This could be the best place for him.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

They don't have to be because I saw when the premier league managers did their weekly press conferences Sky were asking them about whether all the players were vaccinated and they were mainly saying the clubs are encouraging them to take it but its a personal choice.

Sums him up really if he's refused to have it.

There was an article about this recently in the Guardian. Loads of footballers are unvaccinated:

Despite intermittent Covid-19 outbreaks, vaccine coverage in English football remains patchy. Newcastle manager, Steve Bruce, said last week that many of his players have refused the vaccine, citing “conspiracy theories”. Ole Gunnar Solskjær has revealed that several of his Manchester United squad remain unvaccinated. And anecdotal evidence suggests vaccine take-up remains a major problem at many clubs.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2021/aug/23/anti-vaxx-athletes-stance-show-myths-cut-across-boundaries-privilege-covid

5 hours ago, Sensible Soccer said:

His history makes Nile Ranger look like a saint. But I guess that’s not the whole picture. Absolutely cannot condone drink driving for any reason… it literally destroys lives.

on the flip side he has had it harder than most and I’m sympathetic about that.

I think he needs Sheffield Wednesday and DM more than we need him right now for that last chance saloon, but that will change if DM can get a tune out of him as he is different to the other striking options we have

wish him well, as it sounds like he needs good people and pros around him and at the club we have those. Also needs a manager who can help him get back to where he once was and I believe we have that too.

hopefully the worst is behind him and he absolutely rips this league a new one

would say watch rio interview as signposted on this page, doesnt condone but for sure mitigating as is the bbc article at the time

1 hour ago, Emerson Thome said:

There was an article about this recently in the Guardian. Loads of footballers are unvaccinated:

Despite intermittent Covid-19 outbreaks, vaccine coverage in English football remains patchy. Newcastle manager, Steve Bruce, said last week that many of his players have refused the vaccine, citing “conspiracy theories”. Ole Gunnar Solskjær has revealed that several of his Manchester United squad remain unvaccinated. And anecdotal evidence suggests vaccine take-up remains a major problem at many clubs.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2021/aug/23/anti-vaxx-athletes-stance-show-myths-cut-across-boundaries-privilege-covid

Without wanting to make this into a covid thread, I’m sure lots of fully fit people under 30 ( not just footballers) will not be inoculated. It doesn’t make them anti Vaxers they just probably don’t see it as important, as statically they are at very little threat. To use that as a reason to have a pop at Berahino as London owl did is a bit pathetic. Have a go about his drink driving by all means but say it’s typical of him, without even knowing if he is or isn’t is just plain crazy. 

• Like 4

Guest LondonOwl313
2 hours ago, Plonk said:

Without wanting to make this into a covid thread, I’m sure lots of fully fit people under 30 ( not just footballers) will not be inoculated. It doesn’t make them anti Vaxers they just probably don’t see it as important, as statically they are at very little threat. To use that as a reason to have a pop at Berahino as London owl did is a bit pathetic. Have a go about his drink driving by all means but say it’s typical of him, without even knowing if he is or isn’t is just plain crazy. 

I’m not much older than 30 and I’ve had the vaccine as have most of my friends.. I just think the evidence is clear and it’s stupid to not have it. It protects against long covid and reduces transmission which slows the spread, so it’s not just important for your own health but for the health of everyone around you. They need to spend less time of social media and more time listening to medics.

Berahino is unavailable for us because he’s not bothered to have it so he has to self isolate. It’s just lazy

10 hours ago, Bluesteel. said:

assuming this is a short term deal, SB has much more to lose than Wednesday who can simply play one or two others if he’s not at it

Whether he plays or not is one thing. Issue could be his effect on the dressing room and the club in general. DM seems to have created a good spirit amongst the group. We don’t need dressing room bust ups or ill-discipline. The last thing this club needs is more negative press if he hits the drink, drugs and courts again. It’s not as simple as whether he plays or not based on the negative impact he’s had at other clubs. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, runningaround said:

would say watch rio interview as signposted on this page, doesnt condone but for sure mitigating as is the bbc article at the time

TalkSPORT interviewed him yesterday. He displayed no remorse for any of his actions instead blaming literally everyone else (former teammates, managers, owners and his upbringing). Although he said he’d learnt his lesson and was determined to take his chances he didn’t demonstrate the personal responsibility required to achieve this. 

Let’s hope Moore knows best

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bluesteel. said:

Nile Ranger was much worse and in with a bad crowd. But was a cut above in league one also.

The relationship with DM has promise. He seems hard work and WBA tolerated that, no one else has seemingly done so. But assuming this is a short term deal, SB has much more to lose than Wednesday who can simply play one or two others if he’s not at it and then where does he go?

He has to at least put a shift in and if the quality is there then you’d hope that would begin to show. Whilst he hasn’t torn up the Belgian league he hasn’t exactly flopped either so I’d expect him to get a few goals. 

Agree with this.

Much more for Berahino to lose than the club. It will be a short deal with incentives to perform.

Open that ability once again, the rewards for both parties is a fantastic prospect.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Weshallovercome said:

Why is he isolating?

I'm looking to come over soon and as I understand it(which to be fair is tricky because it changes weekly) you only need a Covid test within 2 days of coming to the UK, then another within 2 days of getting there, no quarantine necessary.

DM has said that like Kamberi and Sow he's had to spend 5 days in quarantine and thus will not meet the squad before next week.

I assume he knows the situation as far as anybody can keep track of the rules these days.

10 hours ago, Dan™ said:

It's exciting having a player of potentially Premier League quality in the side. I wouldn't say we had that before Berahino joined, and when was the last time we could? Even when we were lucky enough to have players like Ross Barkley, Antonio and Martinez at Hillsborough they were all very raw.

There's a high chance he'll not reach his previous levels with us, of course, otherwise he wouldn't be in League One. But he's proven that he once had it in him, and there's an actual possibility of Moore pulling it out of him again. He should be in his peak years at his age, and at this level he won't even need to be at his best to look like a world beater.

This is the kind of signing that could put thousands on the gate if it works out. I don't think that's an exaggeration, if anything it's an understatement if he contributes towards us challenging at the top end of the division.

I think the acid test for him will be what he's like on a cold and windy Tuesday night at Mansfield in the PJ trophy.

1 hour ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

TalkSPORT interviewed him yesterday. He displayed no remorse for any of his actions instead blaming literally everyone else (former teammates, managers, owners and his upbringing). Although he said he’d learnt his lesson and was determined to take his chances he didn’t demonstrate the personal responsibility required to achieve this. 

Let’s hope Moore knows best

I think that interview was from a while ago when he first went to Belgium, after Glen Johnson gave an interview on TalkSPORT basically digging him out for being an awkward little git. 

Ultimately, despite all the positivity surrounding our squad at the moment, this is the market we are operating in. Moore is taking chances on a lot of signings if were honest (Sow, Corbeanu, Kamberi spring to mind), and this is another. I for one hope it works out for the lad because that year at West Brom he was excellent, but the fame went to his head clearly. Time will tell.