OFFICIAL BERAHINO SIGNS FOR SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, ChapSmurf said:

According to the ONS, and taken from their site - https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19latestinsights/infections#infections-by-age

"The percentage of people testing positive increased for those in school Year 12 to age 24 years and those aged 50 to 69 years (week ending 20 August 2021), with early signs of an increase in those aged 70 years and above. The percentage of people testing positive decreased in those aged 2 years to school Year 6 and aged 25 to 34 years. Trends were uncertain in all other age groups."

So being double vaccinated clearly isn't stopping the spread, otherwise there would be no increase. I didn't say it wasn't reducing the spread. There is a big difference between stopping and reducing.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.imperial.ac.uk/news/227713/coronavirus-infections-three-times-lower-double/amp/

This says that double vaccinated people are 3 times less likely to catch it then unvaccinated people.

So with the delta variant, the R number without vaccines is probably like 4 or something. To be honest I’m losing track because I’m sure R was about 3 for the first wave and then the Kent and Indian ones were more fast spreading. 

So if R was 4 normally and taking the jab reduces 75% of transmission doesn’t that reduce R to 1 so without any restrictions at all it’s easy to keep the size of the pandemic the same as it’s neither growing or shrinking.

Clearly if only 70% get jabbed then this is diluted and you end up with R something like 1.5 which makes lockdowns more likely as it grows.. that’s why it’s important they get jabbed  

1 hour ago, ChapSmurf said:

According to the ONS, and taken from their site - https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19latestinsights/infections#infections-by-age

"The percentage of people testing positive increased for those in school Year 12 to age 24 years and those aged 50 to 69 years (week ending 20 August 2021), with early signs of an increase in those aged 70 years and above. The percentage of people testing positive decreased in those aged 2 years to school Year 6 and aged 25 to 34 years. Trends were uncertain in all other age groups."

So being double vaccinated clearly isn't stopping the spread, otherwise there would be no increase. I didn't say it wasn't reducing the spread. There is a big difference between stopping and reducing.

Strange post. It's like you want to say the vaccine has lower efficacy than most people think, without outright saying those words. No-one is under the illusions that it has 100% efficacy, but we know that it's relatively speaking highly efficable.

Anyway, as for this "increase" do you not think you're cherrypicking there a wee bit? You put that quote from the ONS on here without context, and someone would imagine that there is a strong trend of increase. Let's actually look at the graph for Year 12 - 24 year olds.

20210902_235053.jpg.869f59184fe14e837d0c2f381247dc7b.jpg

Now I'm not going to be disingenuous and say there isn't a recent trend of increased rate of positive tests in this age group, but I'm also not going to be disingenuous and pretend that there is, generally speaking, a trend of increased +ve test %. It goes in at ~3.2% and give weeks later at ~3.5%. To me, that looks like statistical noise, but fluctuating by much more than ~10% of its total value.

And then again for the 50 to 69 year olds

20210902_235513.jpg.2ccad8f96b89f33bc741ffd346741c27.jpg

Well, I could repeat myself almost verbatim with what I said about the younger age bracket, so I'll save us all some time.

Basically, we know the vaccine isn't 100% efficable, however we know it's pretty darn efficable, and the gnats fart increases in positive of % tests that fall well within the bounds of statistical noise is no argument at all against their efficacy.

Edited by StudentOwl

8 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.imperial.ac.uk/news/227713/coronavirus-infections-three-times-lower-double/amp/

This says that double vaccinated people are 3 times less likely to catch it then unvaccinated people.

8 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Strange post. It's like you want to say the vaccine has lower efficacy than most people think, without outright saying those words. No-one is under the illusions that it has 100% efficacy, but we know that it's relatively speaking highly efficable.

Guys, I'll let you both have the last word on this part of the thread, purely because we are losing track of the original thread here.

As for Berahino, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can bring to the team and wish him the best of luck.

I personally welcome this signing.

I see it as a low risk, potential high reward kind of move.

Given Moore's seemingly solid connections with players and his top reputation, I can only imagine Berahino will knuckle down. This is the opportunity for him to silence the doubters. Let's hope for our sake he does.

• Like 3