Saido Berahino

I’m sure we will be signing a sensible contract with him, lessons learned etc, and if Moore can get him firing, it could be a master stroke. If he can’t-nothing lost…we don’t depend on him. Even if it takes a month or two to get him up to speed, could be like having a new striker after Xmas. 
Could be ace this one! 28, get his career back on track, knows where the net is - needs an arm around him - and Moore is the man to do it.

Guest Jack the Hat
10 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Me too, the letters were stuck over some others. Not done a bad job but I could still read Simon Stainrod underneath.

Funnily enough I've always been FIRMLY on team "no positives to relegation" and that nothing about our rebuild is any easier at this level than if we'd survived.

Until now. Being linked with Berahino would have stunk this place out last season. Would have felt like a Ravel Morrison level resignation towards relegation. Just an available name to fill a shirt. 

League One though.. what an opportunity to find his feet a bit and put something together. If he can carry some sort of re-established form back into The Championship, I'd fancy him a lot more at that level as well.

All the signings we make at this level have some element of risk. They are in the main youngsters who haven’t quite made it for their clubs, players who are surplus to requirements, players with patchy track records, players who’ve struggled at higher levels etc etc. 

Strikers in particular are hard to get for free, so I can’t see how we can get anyone decent in other than by taking a gamble such as this one. Might work or it might not. But we’ve got to give it a punt IMO. 

• Like 1

I’d be concerned if we were overly reliant on this one working out.

The reality is he either does well or he’s barely plays and is potentially shown the door in January/next summer.

Reminds me of the Nile Ranger loan. If he scores 2-3 important goals, like Ranger did, you’ve got to say it’s a success. 

Guest Jack the Hat

If this one come off its a real coup for a league 1 side. Some of the players we already have are ridiculous for this league. From about game 10 in we should start to fly.

Good luck to him.

It's a decent and positive environment for him to come into, and maybe that's what he needs in order to thrive again.

Sounds like he's finally done some growing up, and playing for one of few people he actually respects it could be a decent fit. Also, being in a foreign country might have helped him get away and adjust, but a return to England might help.

Anyway, Donny fans wouldn't have been keen on Jon Bostock recently, but DM brought in the forgotten man from Europe and they'd probably agree he's one of there better players.

Who knows, random signing, but must be pretty low risk, we'll see!

Do we need to roll the dice on a gamble like this? I feel like this is a risk we don’t need to take, we’re trying to rebuild a positive culture around the club - former ‘stars’ with notoriously bad attitudes could jeopardise that.

We already have Windass/Kamberi/Gregory/Paterson do we really need a 5th striker?
Plus, how big is the upside here? He hasn’t been a prolific goal scorer in England for over 5 years now. Surely Windass & Gregory have the most upside when they are up to speed and getting the service? 

Edited by Lionel Fessi
  • Like 1

6 Years ago this lad was England international level. His issues have been with mental health, which I'm in no way belittling, not muscle injuries or breaks etc. If he's got his head in the game and has a managaer and team mates he respects he could be a phenominal signing. Could.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, jp1981 said:

Just been confirmed on talk sport, that the contract is an incentive based deal.

probably like the one Hutchinson was on last season.

That would make sense. Get in the team and make enough appearances and you get rewarded by a longer and better contract or a way back into English football.

As free agents go we either get a grafter who has no room for improvement but may win a few battles or someone who has struggled recently but has done well in the past. At least with this it is not a signing we have to hang our hat on. More a roll of the dice.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bluesteel. said:

That would make sense. Get in the team and make enough appearances and you get rewarded by a longer and better contract or a way back into English football.

As free agents go we either get a grafter who has no room for improvement but may win a few battles or someone who has struggled recently but has done well in the past. At least with this it is not a signing we have to hang our hat on. More a roll of the dice.

Not a free agent is he. Admittedly they may want him off the wages so it could be a free

2 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Not a free agent is he. Admittedly they may want him off the wages so it could be a free

Not sure if I heard correct but I'm sure it said he was a free agent, so it wasn't departmental that the deal was done today.