Saido Berahino

The fella Chesterfield signed on a free in non league has a great record. Surprised someone in the EFL never took a gamble.

But then again when there are so many free agents and players like Gregory and Berahino available cut price you can see the temptation to go for experience 

On 07/09/2021 at 00:44, legendaryswan said:

For me it all comes down to a more defined recruitment criteria and how you identify or source a player to give them a chance of success.

If you analise the hell out of a player the risk should in theory be reduced, then you factor in the playing style, like a dna and if they match then thats surely a better mode of recruitment, than, well he worked with him years ago back when he WAS successfull, thats just lazy recruitment and is packed with risk for both parties.

I hope it works and the kid bags hatloads of goals Il toast his name every saturday night if he does, but I reckon we could have done better, and for the same amount cash wise, had we been a bit more savvy when we were searching.

Personally, I think management is about people. Now I’m sure Klopp and Pep both use stats and analysis etc. But all managers now have those tools in their locker. But you talk to most players who have been in successful teams, and not many will put their success down to the analyst or the chef, they will put it down to the manager. Good managers, in any business, know how to get that extra few percent out of their staff. That’s what makes their business marginally better than their competitors.

They know when an arm around the shoulder, or a kick up the arse is needed.

Players talk about being frightened of Fergie, but they also talk about him as a father, guru, mentor.

I think we have a manager in that mould. I don’t think DM has brought Berahinio to the club because “:he was a good lad a few years ago” he has brought him here because he has confidence in resurrecting his career.

Lets face it, both of them are right under the spotlight with this. And neither of them needed to put themselves there. 

And before anyone starts I’m not comparing DM to those great managers, I just think he has those interpersonal skills from listening to how players talk about him.

15 hours ago, Plonk said:

Personally, I think management is about people. Now I’m sure Klopp and Pep both use stats and analysis etc. But all managers now have those tools in their locker. But you talk to most players who have been in successful teams, and not many will put their success down to the analyst or the chef, they will put it down to the manager. Good managers, in any business, know how to get that extra few percent out of their staff. That’s what makes their business marginally better than their competitors.

They know when an arm around the shoulder, or a kick up the arse is needed.

Players talk about being frightened of Fergie, but they also talk about him as a father, guru, mentor.

I think we have a manager in that mould. I don’t think DM has brought Berahinio to the club because “:he was a good lad a few years ago” he has brought him here because he has confidence in resurrecting his career.

Lets face it, both of them are right under the spotlight with this. And neither of them needed to put themselves there. 

And before anyone starts I’m not comparing DM to those great managers, I just think he has those interpersonal skills from listening to how players talk about him.

I watched Wootton at notts Co the other night, v wrexham and the kid was very impressive, best player on the park @ 24 hes room to improve, think he was originally a wide player thats now moved uptop, power, pace, work rate movement found space, was a handfull all night, not saying we should sign him, but for 60K the lad looked a no brainer, not much of a gamble really.

But thats the type of deal in our current position we need to be pulling off, planning ahead, not just thinking short term.

Guest hirstysfags
16 hours ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

I’d push Barry out of the room, bend them all over, do the drummer, the lead singer, and that one who plays violin.

Tip of my tongue....who said it???

8 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

I watched Wootton at notts Co the other night, v wrexham and the kid was very impressive, best player on the park @ 24 hes room to improve, think he was originally a wide player thats now moved uptop, power, pace, work rate movement found space, was a handfull all night, not saying we should sign him, but for 60K the lad looked a no brainer, not much of a gamble really.

But thats the type of deal in our current position we need to be pulling off, planning ahead, not just thinking short term.

Agree totally about him ....but we can’t pay a fee for a player whether it’s down to efl or us that’s that ? Think moore has done better than I for one ever thought we’d get this summer. I expected fee young loans from prem couple of freebies and not much else tbf! I don’t this saido will knuckle down and fire us up the league he has the ability but think he’ll be another Nile ranger ? Hope to be proved wrong btw. And who’d have thought buying the kid with one of the best goal ratio records outside the prem would flop so dramatically!!! That’s probably because in no way was Rhodes gona fit into our style of play at that time . Let’s hope this kid proves us all wrong would love it if he does