TRANSFER DEADLINE DAY

2 minutes ago, prowl said:

If we get the chance of a young  top quality Premeirship loan in need of games I'd take it. Either a CB or CF particularly. Got to be cheap though.

Who you dropping to play them? 

Cos PL would expect them to play week in week out, not if we have injuries. 

Hutch or Iorfa, who have both just signed new contracts

Gregory or Windass?  Again Windass just signed a new contract, and we also have Kamberi and Paterson 

17 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

We play 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 buying another striker is a non starter for that alone. 

Given that as stated a decent goalscorer would also cost money, which we are unable to spend, and that we have Windass to come back then its a no goer. 

For left back, we have Palmer who at this level is one of the top 5 in the league, then Brown is primarily a LB and Johnson can do a job there, as can Gibson. 

If you have too many players keeping them all happy ais a challenge and you run the risk of creating 'bomb swuads' in the coming windows which is never a good place to be and leads to the cycle we have had to wait 4 years to break 

I agree with your point about too many players. 

My point about the player to partner Gregory relates to my (albeit early in the season) observation that we have plenty of players to create chances but not many to convert them. Maybe Windas is the player to do this plus we haven’t really seen Kamberi yet. 

My comment about a left back relates to the fact that we are currently playing Palmer there - I agree that Palmer is one of the top five fullbacks in the league but he’s a right back. Very few people have supported Palmer more than me over the years but I’d much rather see him competing with Hunt at right back than being asked to do a job at left back. 

20 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

That's not that bad really is it considering we've won three of em.

Issue is we’re rigid in one system. Need to be able to change it to two up top and 4 strikers (including Paterson who isn’t one) isn’t enough. Defence has won us games so far. Not strikers. Morecambe game we were crying out to be able to change it and throw the lot at it. Didn’t have enough answers to the questions. Need a striker who is a bit more mobile at least until Windass is back. 

I’m not convinced it’s worth bringing more players in unless they’re going to be first team regulars. We’ve got a pretty deep squad and the likes of Windass, Shodipo, Gibson and Sow to hopefully start getting involved soon along with younguns like FDB, Brennan and Adedoyin who are at an age where they should be pushing for first team football, either with us or on loan. 

Another point to consider is we can only have 5 loans in the matchday squad. We’ve got BPF, Wing and Gregory who are nailed on to be involved if fit and then Corbeanu, Shodipo and Gibson who are highly rated but we’ve not seen much of yet, plus Kamberi… I’d be fine with us staying out of the deadline day circus and reassessing in January

• Like 2

Doncaster getting Grigg is an excellent signing for them. Surprised someone higher up in the league hasn’t took a chance. Was on fire (see what I did there) at MK at the end of the season and at this level has done it for everyone expect Sunderland. 

6 minutes ago, ThaiWife said:

Issue is we’re rigid in one system. Need to be able to change it to two up top and 4 strikers (including Paterson who isn’t one) isn’t enough. Defence has won us games so far. Not strikers. Morecambe game we were crying out to be able to change it and throw the lot at it. Didn’t have enough answers to the questions. Need a striker who is a bit more mobile at least until Windass is back. 

Throwing more players at it for the same position just makes it a tad harder to get strikers to gel/understand each others strengths,its cool,if Moore brings one in its possibly for the reason you said.................lets see what today brings.

13 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

I’m not convinced it’s worth bringing more players in unless they’re going to be first team regulars. We’ve got a pretty deep squad and the likes of Windass, Shodipo, Gibson and Sow to hopefully start getting involved soon along with younguns like FDB, Brennan and Adedoyin who are at an age where they should be pushing for first team football, either with us or on loan. 

Another point to consider is we can only have 5 loans in the matchday squad. We’ve got BPF, Wing and Gregory who are nailed on to be involved if fit and then Corbeanu, Shodipo and Gibson who are highly rated but we’ve not seen much of yet, plus Kamberi… I’d be fine with us staying out of the deadline day circus and reassessing in January

Gregory isn’t a loan is he?

14 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I agree with your point about too many players. 

My point about the player to partner Gregory relates to my (albeit early in the season) observation that we have plenty of players to create chances but not many to convert them. Maybe Windas is the player to do this plus we haven’t really seen Kamberi yet. 

My comment about a left back relates to the fact that we are currently playing Palmer there - I agree that Palmer is one of the top five fullbacks in the league but he’s a right back. Very few people have supported Palmer more than me over the years but I’d much rather see him competing with Hunt at right back than being asked to do a job at left back. 

Personally don't think it's realistic to have 2 players of Palmer and Hunts quality and experience competing for 1 place in league 1, and fresh out of an embargo. 

Both need to be playing more games then they miss at this level. 

I think we're OK unless Paterson moves on, but could see a couple of January additions depending on what the season brings 

• Like 1