BBC: Football's most controversial transfer deal?

bobness

11 hours ago, bobness said:

Football's most controversial transfer deal?

Typical agenda-driven media pretending we don't exist! Headline corrected below.

lol

image.png.51f4d286c53a484cb8daf90fdafe0aa0.png

Always thought it was strange that this was "controversial" yet when Teves went to Man U he was sign "on loan" but from an unknown team.........then it goes quiet and nobody cared.

Without googling this as I'm old and this was years ago.......it seemed that all West Ham "got collard" for was a paperwork or administrative error, and Man U made the same "signing" under the same circumstances.......and it was fine.

City then buy him from his "Owner" and that was that.

11 hours ago, helmut_rooster said:

Always thought it was strange that this was "controversial" yet when Teves went to Man U he was sign "on loan" but from an unknown team.........then it goes quiet and nobody cared.

Without googling this as I'm old and this was years ago.......it seemed that all West Ham "got collard" for was a paperwork or administrative error, and Man U made the same "signing" under the same circumstances.......and it was fine.

City then buy him from his "Owner" and that was that.

Teves at West ham was apparently "owned" by an agency - or sporting group and technically not a West ham player - the so-called 3rd party ownership was was (probably still is) rife in football

Such a non story tbh and although West ham paid out big bucks the feeling in legal circles was that if it went to court there is no way West Ham would lose the case

The CEO lost his position over it

14 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Which?

What about that milkman who signed for Bostock Stanley?

If you haven't already watched Bostock's Cup, give it a look-in when you have an hour to spare. One of the best bits of football telly I've ever seen, but I'm yet to meet anyone else who's watched it! After decades of searching for it, I couldn't believe my luck when someone had uploaded the full thing to YouTube. Should be mandatory viewing.

11 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Well I’m not going to name them on here, but I can think of some examples of players moving to strange places some unbelievable fees and wages that seem out of kilter and then players who never really play

I think an element of the controversy is the impact they had; it wasn't just that the signings were dodgy, but that the result of the signings contributed to a club staying up and another club getting relegated.

Edited by bobness

1 hour ago, bobness said:

I think an element of the controversy is the impact they had; it wasn't just that the signings were dodgy, but that the result of the signings contributed to a club staying up and another club getting relegated.

In some cases sure, in others it felt a bit like people just needed rid of some £££

On 31/08/2021 at 09:28, McRightSide said:

Well I’m not going to name them on here, but I can think of some examples of players moving to strange places some unbelievable fees and wages that seem out of kilter and then players who never really play

International player signed for us, stayed one season and only played in the last game if the season, played pretty regularly after too elsewhere.