Vigil

6 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Prentice, the Executive Officer, turned up and switched off the flooding procedure (for reasons I can't quite figure out). And although he didn't realise she was inside, Silva then alerted the sonar operators by banging her torch against the inside of the torpedo tube.

At the end of the day, the underlying concept was original but highly implausible. But sometimes, you've got to accept it's entertainment and just enjoy the ride.

Lucky escape then for her 🙂

Yeah you have to just let things flow sometimes, it looked an interesting concept but not down my street

35 minutes ago, darra said:

Me and the Mrs thought that but I reckon there's a lot that goes on that we don't know about and never will. We live near a front line RAF base which has fast response jets. About 2am the other night you could hear them taking off. Usually the next day there's a report in the media that they were scrambled because a Russian plane or something had entered UK airspace. This time nothing.

In 1983 the world came about the closest it's ever come to all-out nuclear war.  They USA had been playing silly buggers for a few years by that point, doing psy-ops such as launching flights of nuclear bombers that turned away just before entering Soviet airspace, messing about with submarines in the Black Sea and the Baltic, etc.  They Soviets got extremely paranoid and rattled, and genuinely suspected that the West was planning a surprise nuclear attack.  At one point they even shot down a South Korean passenger airliner that had accidentally strayed into their airspace.

Then one of their early warning satellites malfunctioned and reported that a single ICBM was inbound from the USA.   The standing orders at that point were for an immediate full-scale retaliation using the Soviets' full nuclear arsenal.

Fortunately for the world, the man on duty, Colonel Stanislav Petrov, used common sense and refused to pass on the alert, reasoning that an attack with a single missile made absolutely no sense, and that it was probably a false alarm.  If a less cool head had been in that position, or someone who was too caught up in following procedure to the letter, human civilization could have ended right then and there because of nuclear powers dicking with each other like it's all a big game.

That's why, despite the fact that Russia absolutely does like to send it's fighters to keep the RAF on their toes over the North Sea, and is perfectly willing to blatantly send assassins to murder Putin's personal enemies on foreign soil like the bunch of organized criminals they are, some things are absolutely off-limits to mess with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Prentice, the Executive Officer, turned up and switched off the flooding procedure (for reasons I can't quite figure out)

Doward said he was flushing the suit that had been exposed and Prentice said they may need it so turned it off.

• Like 1

6.5/10 from me.

A different concept from other police show.

Military v civilian authority and who's in command

Cover ups and paranoia

A wasted final 15 minutes if new family reunion.

I would ask why Surrane Jines was already to marry her man before he got killed in the car crash and after became a lesbian. This didn't make sense

40 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

I would ask why Surrane Jines was already to marry her man before he got killed in the car crash and after became a lesbian. This didn't make sense

People fall in love with different people. It was one of the least farfetched parts of the show.

Let down of a final episode for me. I thought there'd be another twist, and that someone else would have been involved.

The Suranne Jones/lesbian copper storyline added absolutely nothing. Really tedious flashbacks throughout.

6/10.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

People fall in love with different people. It was one of the least farfetched parts of the show.

You're on the wind up with that.

She was a lesbian before she met the bloke but she wanted to marry anyway. So she wasn't a lesbian anymore.

Then he gets drowns and now she's back to being a lesbian having and up and down affair with the copper and none of that had anything useful to add to the story.

Its daft.

Just tries to shoehorn in a gay reference for the sake of it. If it hadn't been included no one in the audience would've missed it.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, darra said:

Me and the Mrs thought that but I reckon there's a lot that goes on that we don't know about and never will. We live near a front line RAF base which has fast response jets. About 2am the other night you could hear them taking off. Usually the next day there's a report in the media that they were scrambled because a Russian plane or something had entered UK airspace. This time nothing.

Yeh think they tease each other a fair bit. Not sure of late but often they would allegedly fly into Finnish air space etc

11 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Absolutely. You could probably have boiled it down to 5 episodes if you deleted the superfluous backstory.

Even 3 episodes TBF.

Definitely lots of filler like many USA series. Prefer silent witness when they do each story over two episodes.

14 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

You're on the wind up with that.

She was a lesbian before she met the bloke but she wanted to marry anyway. So she wasn't a lesbian anymore.

Then he gets drowns and now she's back to being a lesbian having and up and down affair with the copper and none of that had anything useful to add to the story.

Its daft.

Just tries to shoehorn in a gay reference for the sake of it. If it hadn't been included no one in the audience would've missed it.

What? 

She was in a relationship with a man. The man died. Then she had a relationship with a woman. Then they split up. Then she went on a submarine. Afterwards they got back together. What is wrong with that? 

"She's not a lesbian then she is a lesbian". Wah, wah, wah. Your poor offended sensibilities.

Was wasted tbh..  had lots of bad references..  non of this would ever happen.  You have to be positively vetted by the RN/Goverment

to serve on Nuc's for a start, which means going into very details background checks.  I was done and they went to interview

school friends and family.  Any hint of "red" thoughts or ties and you was not going to be vetted.

Some of the command decisions were a joke and made the RN look inept just for a story line.

4/10

1 hour ago, Screen Door Slams said:

Someone being bi-sexual is totally believable...............just wasn`t integral to the story really and TBF had the air of BBC box ticking......

That's the thing.

I had no problem with the two police officers being in a same sex relationship. It's just that their relationship was inflated way beyond any relevance or value to the plot. It would have been easy enough to make clear they were a couple without all the tedious flashbacks to their life together.

• Like 1

Why would the Russians need to take pictures of a submarine when one of their agents is a sonar operator trained for that submarine who can presumably give them whatever technical specifications they want?

22 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Why would the Russians need to take pictures of a submarine when one of their agents is a sonar operator trained for that submarine who can presumably give them whatever technical specifications they want?

I think it was more of an attempt to damage the Trident program politically then to gain technical information.

By showing that they could a) insert an asset into a british nuclear submarine, and b) force it to abandon it's mission, the Russian intention was to demonstrate that our nuclear deterrent was compromised and pointless and thereby put the government under pressure to abandon it.

• Like 1

Finished watching this last night. Couldn't get on with it at first that's why it's taken me so long but thought it improved.

I enjoyed the lesbian romance bit but that's just me.