Vigil

2 hours ago, Arthur Bach said:

Our lass been watching it.

Walked in the room to find that somehow a nuclear submarine has been able to install a kind of spacious  reception area where people can casually walk around.

The Weetabix advert has a more convincing sub.

Have you been in one of these boats?

These things are twice the length of the pitch and wider than a bus is long.

• Like 1

On 16/09/2021 at 21:13, Flat Owl said:

Have you been in one of these boats?

These things are twice the length of the pitch and wider than a bus is long.

At the start when she first went in the sub they said it was the length of 4 football pitches

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darra said:

At the start when she first went in the sub they said it was the length of 4 football pitches

It’s really disorientating Darra.

Coming down from the conning tower is a two storey vertical ladder in a surprisingly tight tube.

Mrs Flat Owl was a Lieutenant in the RN and finished at Devonport after 20 years service - she managed to get me in on a tour on a Resolution Class Nuclear boat that was being decommissioned.  Most of it was off limits or with sensitive stuff covered up but astonishing never the less.

What struck me was that despite its size, this massive thing was controlled from a gimballed Helmsman’s position that was no bigger than a Spitfire cockpit….

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Flat Owl said:

It’s really disorientating Darra.

Coming down from the conning tower is a two storey vertical ladder in a surprisingly tight tube.

Mrs Flat Owl was a Lieutenant in the RN and finished at Devonport after 20 years service - she managed to get me in on a tour on a Resolution Class Nuclear boat that was being decommissioned.  Most of it was off limits or with sensitive stuff covered up but astonishing never the less.

What struck me was that despite its size, this massive thing was controlled from a gimballed Helmsman’s position that was no bigger than a Spitfire cockpit….

Read an article a while ago about something in the military where they spent  a ton of money producing a joystick for manoeuvring something drones maybe?. One day a joystick stopped working so one of the operators suggested using a console joystick which worked just as well. Probably an urban myth

• Like 1

My Godsons father was a submariner I'm talking about 40 years ago. He told me that subs are bigger than people imagine. Like he said if you're on patrol for months many of that underwater you need somewhere to "get away" for a while if you lived in each other's pockets you'd soon have problems.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, darra said:

Read an article a while ago about something in the military where they spent  a ton of money producing a joystick for manoeuvring something drones maybe?. One day a joystick stopped working so one of the operators suggested using a console joystick which worked just as well. Probably an urban myth

They are based on the PlayStation type.  They fly drones over Afghanistan from a portacabin in the UK.

F1 cars, 200m long subs - these controllers have been around long enough now that for most of the younger generation now serving, they are second nature….

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Night King said:

Bit of a boring final episode. 

What? Silva trapped in a flooded torpedo tube, an armed saboteur running amok on a nuclear submarine, Russian vessels stalking the sub, the dash to prevent a defection to the Chinese. Thought it all built up quite nicely myself. I could have done without all the emotional baggage between Silva and Longacre, though; that really didn't add anything.

• Like 2

So.

Are we to believe that Russia would risk inadvertently setting off a nuclear war by dicking about with the UK's nuclear deterrent, just for the sake of taking a few photos of a decades-old, soon to be replaced submarine, and creating the opportunity for a PR stunt?

Also, did they ever explain how the Americans were able to shadow them without them noticing?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owlinexile said:

So.

Are we to believe that Russia would risk inadvertently setting off a nuclear war by dicking about with the UK's nuclear deterrent, just for the sake of taking a few photos of a decades-old, soon to be replaced submarine, and creating the opportunity for a PR stunt?

Also, did they ever explain how the Americans were able to shadow them without them noticing?

Me and the Mrs thought that but I reckon there's a lot that goes on that we don't know about and never will. We live near a front line RAF base which has fast response jets. About 2am the other night you could hear them taking off. Usually the next day there's a report in the media that they were scrambled because a Russian plane or something had entered UK airspace. This time nothing.

10 minutes ago, Jimothy said:

Glad I have avoided this now, between this and gogglebox seen enough to not have to watch it

Out of interest, how did she get out of the flooded torpedo tube?

Prentice, the Executive Officer, turned up and switched off the flooding procedure (for reasons I can't quite figure out). And although he didn't realise she was inside, Silva then alerted the sonar operators by banging her torch against the inside of the torpedo tube.

At the end of the day, the underlying concept was original but highly implausible. But sometimes, you've got to accept it's entertainment and just enjoy the ride.

• Like 3