Win or learn?

12 hours ago, Dunkstar said:

I think this is the main learning point from this game.

We were totally in charge up until they scored but lost any composure after the goal. That's a mental thing as much as anything.

Exactly how I saw it.

We’d been patient, probing and totally dominant until the goal, then lost all composure and intelligence. Definitely a lesson to learn there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

2nd in league going into the break

Hutch, Gibson , dunkley , Shodipo all be back , potentially luongo , 2 weeks on the training field .

a defeat also frustrating but not like we deserved it , 

That is also what he will have to contend with - We played them off the park really but never converted any chances. Reset learn from the experience and we go again

13 hours ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

2nd in league going into the break

Hutch, Gibson , dunkley , Shodipo all be back , potentially luongo , 2 weeks on the training field .

a defeat also frustrating but not like we deserved it , 

Clearly a class above morecambe, need to put it in onion bag!

1 hour ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

I still don't feel like we create anywhere near enough clear cut chances. We didn't make their keeper do anything today.

Our number of goals scored so far this season indicates that.

I feel like that, we seem to have plenty of the ball but for the attacking options we have dont seem to look that threatening 

2 minutes ago, nile said:

We need to be ruthless in games like these, start with 2 up front, command the game, take the lead, then manage the game out with the subs.

play to win, not chase a win.

I don't think we were playing for a draw buddy - we were all over them just didn't put the ball in the net

• Thanks 1

Just now, soldierboyblue said:

I don't think we were playing for a draw buddy - we were all over them just didn't put the ball in the net

Im not saying we were, but we aren’t creating enough chances.

just like to see us mix it up sometimes formation wise, we know teams will sit deep, we need to be far more positive in our set up

3 minutes ago, nile said:

Im not saying we were, but we aren’t creating enough chances.

just like to see us mix it up sometimes formation wise, we know teams will sit deep, we need to be far more positive in our set up

I agree with that but we created 12 yesterday that just weren't put away. I think that we will come good as players settle in and get to know each other better.

We are second having signed 14 players I'm well chuffed

3 hours ago, Marro said:

Agree.  The result is a setback and extremely frustrating but it isn’t as though we were outplayed or didn’t play well.  

We are going to have to get used to teams dropping deep and being defensive if they go a goal up against us.  We will have to learn to be patient and break these teams down.

I like Gregory as a striker and I like the industry of Kamberi but I don’t think Kamberi is going to weigh in with loads of goals.  We need another out and out striker IMO if we can find him.

What is a bit of a concern from yesterday is our lack of attempts at goal.  If we have aspirations of automatic promotion we have to address that quickly.  

And before the Owlstalk police start, I am not having a go at the team.  As a club we are in a much better position than a few months ago, Moore is doing a good job so far and I can’t wait for the next league match at Hillsborough.

Sensible assessment, agree with much of this.  In particular I think lack of goal threat will hold us back - need to find a Billy Sharp type from somewhere, but obviously not that easy.  Whilst yesterday was disappointing, it’s been a much better start to the season than I expected, believe we will improve further and be in with a shout at the end of the season when it comes to promotion.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Spot on.The psychological aspect of going a goal behind and then not coming back from it has a devastating effect on the team in the last few months.

2016 was the last time we went a goal behind away from home and won. Birmingham. Its been a long time since this was a problem and sooner we sort it the better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

2016 was the last time we went a goal behind away from home and won. Birmingham. Its been a long time since this was a problem and sooner we sort it the better.

Didn't realize it was that long ago the last time we came from behind to win.Also Alex Ferguson was a master of inspiring his teams to come back from behind to win cricial games. Most notably, the 1999 Semi Final against Juventus and the Final Itself against Bayern Munich. DM can take inspiration from Sir Alex. :tango:

• Like 1

There’s usually the line of “we will learn from this” but we all know if you don’t score you leave yourself open. They just weren’t lucky/good enough to break through yesterday. 

If we were able to pay a fee I think Michael smith at Rotherham would be just what we need for games like that.  

20 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

Except we are largely a different team to what I think you are referring to last season and probably the 2 seasons before that as well.

Here's the only nagging doubt until they do from a goal down to get at least a point or win, we don't know for sure if they are, but all the intangibles suggest they are.

It was really hard not to type 'come from behind' in this post!

Also we don't get points for intangibles!

13 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

I agree with that but we created 12 yesterday that just weren't put away. I think that we will come good as players settle in and get to know each other better.

We are second having signed 14 players I'm well chuffed

This no way a dig at Moore or the squad, it’s more a mentality thing,  we need to believe we are the best in this league, in that instance you gain the upper hand, play on the front foot and be ruthless, go in with caution and it instantly makes things edgy.

we need to realise how strong we are and scare the opposition from kick off

• Like 2