Win or learn?

Usually in football you get a positive result or learn something about your players and team when you don't win.

Regardless of the result ,which is hugely disappointing, lets hope DM has seen some things that give him more insight into this group. The only concern I have is that yet again we have gone behind and not got back into the game, we need to fix that.

Five game, ten points, second in the league, new players coming in and now two weeks to work with the players: I wasn't expecting such a positive start which makes the loss today probably seem worse that it is. Everyone has bad days and lets hope that's all it was.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, eightbelow said:

Usually in football you get a positive result or learn something about your players and team when you don't win.

Regardless of the result ,which is hugely disappointing, lets hope DM has seen some things that give him more insight into this group. The only concern I have is that yet again we have gone behind and not got back into the game, we need to fix that.

Five game, ten points, second in the league, new players coming in and now two weeks to work with the players: I wasn't expecting such a positive start which makes the loss today probably seem worse that it is. Everyone has bad days and lets hope that's all it was.

' The Going A Goal Behind and Not Coming Back From It  'Mentallity  Is where i reckon DM will focus on the most.tbh

• Like 4

1 minute ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

' The Going A Goal Behind and Not Coming Back From It  'Mentallity  Is where i reckon DM will focus on the most.tbh

I think this is the main learning point from this game.

We were totally in charge up until they scored but lost any composure after the goal. That's a mental thing as much as anything.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Dunkstar said:

I think this is the main learning point from this game.

We were totally in charge up until they scored but lost any composure after the goal. That's a mental thing as much as anything.

Spot on.The psychological aspect of going a goal behind and then not coming back from it has a devastating effect on the team in the last few months.

• Like 2

Always hated going into a break on a defeat last season. Now we have a defeat in L1 going into the same. Difference is, I think we will have a team to be proud of. You can see what we're trying to do and despite a defeat we sit in 2nd position. It's not all bad. Not at all. 

I mean we could be 2nd bottom with 2 points.😂

• Like 2

We have lots to learn but this is a new squad and it will take time.

Today’s result is frustrating but it’s swings and roundabouts…….if Rotherham had scored that penalty last week…….that could have been a totally different story.

Lets see what September brings.

• Like 2

We should have been out of sight in that first half

And what’s more the interviews with Moore and Byas after the game showed it

Cant put my finger on it but listening to them and seeing their demeanor in those interviews tells me they are smarting and will be itching to put it right

Ok it’s stuff we’ve heard before from previous managers and players in after match interviews but I’ve no doubt in my mind that this time is different I think we will put this right and quickly

We could be in for a great season

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blatter said:

Interesting ‘fact’ from the commentary today. 
‘Wednesday haven’t come back to win a match after going behind since 2016’

Can that really be true ?

Away from home, Giddings said.

Last time we came from behind to win at home was against Brentford in December 2019 I think, which is also píss poor

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Away from home, Giddings said.

Last time we came from behind to win at home was against Brentford in December 2019 I think, which is also píss poor

Ah that makes sense. I was sure we’d got a win after conceding more recently but couldn’t remember a single game where we had.

The away statistic is shameful though if it’s correct considering the travelling support. 

6 hours ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Spot on.The psychological aspect of going a goal behind and then not coming back from it has a devastating effect on the team in the last few months.

Except we are largely a different team to what I think you are referring to last season and probably the 2 seasons before that as well.

2 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Except we are largely a different team to what I think you are referring to last season and probably the 2 seasons before that as well.

Definitely this. I think we lost composure after going behind today, but at least we kept trying. Last season the heads would have dropped and the white flag raised. Same result, different response though.

We didn't lose any composure after going behind. 

They popped another defender and dropped even deeper. Can't pass around a back 9.

Balls into kamberi and corbeanu weren't sticking. 

So had to go route one .

Bad result. But Jesus we are starting to look like a side again 

#wawaw

• Like 5

2 hours ago, reggae said:

We didn't lose any composure after going behind. 

They popped another defender and dropped even deeper. Can't pass around a back 9.

Balls into kamberi and corbeanu weren't sticking. 

So had to go route one .

Bad result. But Jesus we are starting to look like a side again 

#wawaw

Agree.  The result is a setback and extremely frustrating but it isn’t as though we were outplayed or didn’t play well.  

We are going to have to get used to teams dropping deep and being defensive if they go a goal up against us.  We will have to learn to be patient and break these teams down.

I like Gregory as a striker and I like the industry of Kamberi but I don’t think Kamberi is going to weigh in with loads of goals.  We need another out and out striker IMO if we can find him.

What is a bit of a concern from yesterday is our lack of attempts at goal.  If we have aspirations of automatic promotion we have to address that quickly.  

And before the Owlstalk police start, I am not having a go at the team.  As a club we are in a much better position than a few months ago, Moore is doing a good job so far and I can’t wait for the next league match at Hillsborough.