Saudi Arabia

It’s obviously not the hotbed of tourism, but has anyone ever lived and worked there?

We’re thinking of relocating there for work for a few years and apart from no booze (not a major issues nowadays) I’m struggling to see many negatives. The salaries are huge. 

Not much fun for the women. But if some quick fast money is your aim then it’s probably worth doing for a few years. 

the expat standard of living is high (gated communities, villas and pools etc) 

is it worth considering living in Bahrain and commuting to SA? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jamsandwich said:

Not much fun for the women. But if some quick fast money is your aim then it’s probably worth doing for a few years. 

Depends where the job is. Might work for Dammam. 

But if it’s in Riyadh that’s 250 mile drive each way.

The owls are not what they seem.

On 01/09/2021 at 04:09, jamsandwich said:

Yeah I agree about the women stuff, although my wife is very interested in it for a few years and can work remotely whilst I work there. 

The places I would apply to provide free accommodation for staff in those gated communities so we would live in there as they look fantastic. I am looking at Jeddah or the Damman / Dhahran areas as they look nicer and nearer the coast. Riyadh would probably be the final choice.

The Damman / Dhahran area has the benefit of being very close to Bahrain so easy for a weekend trip on the beers. 

On 01/09/2021 at 19:46, Neal M said:

Depends where the job is. Might work for Dammam. 

But if it’s in Riyadh that’s 250 mile drive each way.

The desert highway is a decent road to be fair but driving that everyday is not what I'd even think about. The standard of driving out here is horrendous and you see fatalities quite regularly 

On 03/09/2021 at 09:04, Orlando_Trustful said:

Yeah I agree about the women stuff, although my wife is very interested in it for a few years and can work remotely whilst I work there. 

The places I would apply to provide free accommodation for staff in those gated communities so we would live in there as they look fantastic. I am looking at Jeddah or the Damman / Dhahran areas as they look nicer and nearer the coast. Riyadh would probably be the final choice.

The Damman / Dhahran area has the benefit of being very close to Bahrain so easy for a weekend trip on the beers. 

The women stuff is nowhere near as bad as is reported in the west. Riyadh is a bit conservative but all your wife would have to do is wear an Abaya over her western clothes. As my female colleague who is sat next to me right now does

On 28/08/2021 at 12:54, Orlando_Trustful said:

It’s obviously not the hotbed of tourism, but has anyone ever lived and worked there?

We’re thinking of relocating there for work for a few years and apart from no booze (not a major issues nowadays) I’m struggling to see many negatives. The salaries are huge. 

I've lived and worked there.

I found the petty restrictions on everyday life (places you can't go, being thrown out of shops at prayer time, newspapers / magazines being heavily edited to remove 'offensive' articles and images) quickly became tiresome, but you learn to live with it.

As already pointed out, assuming your employer provides accommodation, the quality of housing is high. If you live on a compound, you can pretty much enjoy life as normal. Alcohol is prohibited, of course, but people find a way round it, either through unofficial channels or brewing it themselves, and provided it stays within your residence no one should mind. 

I think life for western women has improved since I lived out there. Probably still need to be accompanied by a man and to dress conservatively in public, but I believe the reviled 'religious police' have been cut down to size (maybe even removed from the streets altogether).

I would recommend the Eastern Province (Dammam / Khobar being the major population centres). More westernised than Riyadh probably due to oil workers and military, and if it all gets a bit much and you need to let off steam, Bahrain is on your doorstep.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I've lived and worked there.

I found the petty restrictions on everyday life (places you can't go, being thrown out of shops at prayer time, newspapers / magazines being heavily edited to remove 'offensive' articles and images) quickly became tiresome, but you learn to live with it.

As already pointed out, assuming your employer provides accommodation, the quality of housing is high. If you live on a compound, you can pretty much enjoy life as normal. Alcohol is prohibited, of course, but people find a way round it, either through unofficial channels or brewing it themselves, and provided it stays within your residence no one should mind. 

I think life for western women has improved since I lived out there. Probably still need to be accompanied by a man and to dress conservatively in public, but I believe the reviled 'religious police' have been cut down to size (maybe even removed from the streets altogether).

I would recommend the Eastern Province (Dammam / Khobar being the major population centres). More westernised than Riyadh probably due to oil workers and military, and if it all gets a bit much and you need to let off steam, Bahrain is on your doorstep.

Cheers. Great info. I was ideally looking at the Eastern Province or Jeddah. 

On 15/09/2021 at 18:02, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Probably still need to be accompanied by a man and to dress conservatively in public, but I believe the reviled 'religious police' have been cut down to size (maybe even removed from the streets altogether).

No need for accompanying anymore. No more religious police. Chop chop square no more public executions 

I was there a couple of years ago, funny how the west has you believing one thing, but the reality is very different. 

Found it to be a very interesting place, met with a couple of royals who seemed very liberal and understanding that SA needs to be more progressive and they were intent on being part of seeing that through. 

On 21/09/2021 at 11:44, 0742 said:

I was there a couple of years ago, funny how the west has you believing one thing, but the reality is very different. 

Found it to be a very interesting place, met with a couple of royals who seemed very liberal and understanding that SA needs to be more progressive and they were intent on being part of seeing that through. 

It's changed in the couple of years since you have been here the place ain't the UK so anyone who comes out thinking that will be disappointed