Morecambe - V - Wednesday OMDT

Games in this league seem to be very tight. Hardly any team in this round of fixtures outclassed another team. Think only Charlton can be called a convincing victory. After Charlton, three of the best four teams, xG-wise, lost:

Round 5 - Best xG

+1.23 : Charlton (won 2-0 vs Crewe)

+0.75 : Wycombe (lost 3-1 vs Sunderland)

+0.67 : Shrewsbury (won 2-1 vs Gillingham)

+0.63 : Sheffield Wednesday (lost 1-0 vs Morecambe)

+0.50 : Bolton (lost 1-0 vs Cambridge)

+0.43 : Rotherham (won 2-0 vs Doncaster)

+0.38 : Plymouth (drew 1-1 vs Fleetwood)

+0.31 : Portsmouth (lost 1-0 vs Wigan)

+0.29 : Burton (drew 1-1 vs Cheltenham)

+0.17 : Ipswich Town (drew 2-2 vs Wimbledon)

+0.05 : Lincoln City (lost 3-1 vs Oxford Utd)

+0.01 : MK Dons (won 2-0 vs Accrington)

image.thumb.png.4a0e0d4752fe29d203f055e80d5eb23e.png

And yes, I know the usual issues with xG not being perfect. But in this case I would argue the xG under-estimates Wednesday's chances - neither the Gregory one in the first half (missed the ball across goal) or the Brown one in the second half (didn't shoot first time and got smothered) are counted as shots, but they were arguably our best two chances in the game.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Games in this league seem to be very tight. Hardly any team in this round of fixtures outclassed another team. Think only Charlton can be called a convincing victory. After Charlton, three of the best four teams, xG-wise, lost:

Round 5 - Best xG

+1.23 : Charlton (won 2-0 vs Crewe)

+0.75 : Wycombe (lost 3-1 vs Sunderland)

+0.67 : Shrewsbury (won 2-1 vs Gillingham)

+0.63 : Sheffield Wednesday (lost 1-0 vs Morecambe)

+0.50 : Bolton (lost 1-0 vs Cambridge)

+0.43 : Rotherham (won 2-0 vs Doncaster)

+0.38 : Plymouth (drew 1-1 vs Fleetwood)

+0.31 : Portsmouth (lost 1-0 vs Wigan)

+0.29 : Burton (drew 1-1 vs Cheltenham)

+0.17 : Ipswich Town (drew 2-2 vs Wimbledon)

+0.05 : Lincoln City (lost 3-1 vs Oxford Utd)

+0.01 : MK Dons (won 2-0 vs Accrington)

image.thumb.png.4a0e0d4752fe29d203f055e80d5eb23e.png

And yes, I know the usual issues with xG not being perfect. But in this case I would argue the xG under-estimates Wednesday's chances - neither the Gregory one in the first half (missed the ball across goal) or the Brown one in the second half (didn't shoot first time and got smothered) are counted as shots, but they were arguably our best two chances in the game.

When i looked the above results, the early indications state that L1 will be a difficult league to get out of.That's why i don't go for the ' HMS PI55 THE LEAGUE ' and expect to brush aside L1 teams every time we take to the field.We clearly found that out today at Morecombe.

4 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

It’s appalling if this is something we (or indeed any teams fans) are up to. Absolutely no call for it whatsoever! If there is footage of people doing this they should be banned from going to games. It’s vile behaviour and anyone who does this kind of thing is an animal and doesn’t deserve to be allowed to enjoy going to matches. 

And would risk spreading covid, 

more serious now than just disgusting 

• Like 1

Got a bit carried away there, unbeaten, clean sheets, top of the league, Well done Morecambe no ill feelings there, but this defeat will have done us a lot of good, we won't be making certain mistakes again, we'll be back top of the league soon enough, and I will be crashing back down to Earth once again, it's what Wednesdayites do, we have a monopoly on it, COME ON WEDNESDAY

So the predictable meltdown on Owlstalk is not as bad as expected.

Look.....we lost to an enthusiastic bunch of part-time duffers and it won't be the last time this season. We need more fire (maybe more meat on the fire - plus a few potatoes and some fish) but it was going to happen sooner or later. 

Learn, Wednesday, learn. This can be more valuable than the three points lost, if we learn.

1. Keep the formation better

2. Be faster in attack

3. Buy a proper f*cking midfield general instead of relying on some poor sod to do three jobs at once

I haven’t crashed down to earth. 

We dominated the game and, had plenty of opportunity win it. On another day we’re 2-0 up at half time.

Carry on as we are and, there’s a very good chance we’ll be in the Championship again next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I felt we were a slightly mixed bag yesterday.

The positives were our general play which was tidy at times although is did become predictable.

Adeniran progressed the ball exceptionally well at times although a couple of poor touches took the edge of his performance slightly.

The two efforts that hit the woodwork are slightly misleading, one being a fluke and the other a great effort but from real distance, a low percentage effort. Our best chance fell to Brown but he doesn’t look a natural finisher despite finding good positions.

After the goal I felt we lost our way and was a little disappointed that DM couldn’t effect more change in the game. Hopefully that’ll improve over time.

We weren’t exactly mugged by Morecombe, they did something I think we’ll see time and again this season. They tried to stay in the game and hope to get something from a set piece. We will need to be better at mixing things up against the perceived “lesser teams”. Ironically, playing the top teams may be easier in some ways as they won’t be so defensive.

• Like 4

On 28/08/2021 at 07:51, horny owl said:

We’ve had a tremendous start to the season

We’re playing some good football and have yet to concede a goal

The optimism in the fanbase has returned

This is Sheffield Wednesday we’re talking about

1-0 to Morecambe 

Bloody knew it lol 

2 hours ago, Morepork said:

I felt we were a slightly mixed bag yesterday.

The positives were our general play which was tidy at times although is did become predictable.

Adeniran progressed the ball exceptionally well at times although a couple of poor touches took the edge of his performance slightly.

The two efforts that hit the woodwork are slightly misleading, one being a fluke and the other a great effort but from real distance, a low percentage effort. Our best chance fell to Brown but he doesn’t look a natural finisher despite finding good positions.

After the goal I felt we lost our way and was a little disappointed that DM couldn’t effect more change in the game. Hopefully that’ll improve over time.

We weren’t exactly mugged by Morecombe, they did something I think we’ll see time and again this season. They tried to stay in the game and hope to get something from a set piece. We will need to be better at mixing things up against the perceived “lesser teams”. Ironically, playing the top teams may be easier in some ways as they won’t be so defensive.

Bang on with that last part. Shrewsbury which is our next home game will do exactly the same thing and put men behind the ball to try and frustrate us.It may well take 65/70 minutes into the game to unlock them. Also Shrewsbury is our perpeptual Bogie team along with Burton Albion.:tango:

• Like 1

Overall, disappointing not to score, or even create any clear cut chances, but there were probably more shots or half chances than the other games combined. Any other day and Wednesday could have had 2 or 3

with Dunkley or Hutchinson to return in defence, that adds more stability (not that Palmer was poor, but he isn’t at that level) and Shodipo, Sow and Windass to return up front, I’d expect more chances to be created.

it does seem Gregory is the only outright goal scorer, so if he is having an off day, goals might be harder, but that is why we need more from midfield or the wide players.

I watched it live on I follow and have just watched the extended highlights.

I got to say we played some excellent football going forward. There were some twitchy moments in defence but overall I’m hugely optimistic if we can carry on with the standard of passing and movement shown.