Carlos on Talksport

1 hour ago, York_Owl said:

Transfer fees have gone through the roof in the last few years so you can't really compare then with now.

We were paying good money back then to a level where players were choosing to come to us rather than clubs like L**ds (Forestieri).

The market hasn’t shifted since 5 years ago, it’s been like this for years now. At the top of the game I’d agree yes with players going for £150m plus 

I liked Carlos. That first season was really exciting and he was a breath of fresh air. However, he got schooled by Bruce in the final but I lost faith in him after the Huddersfield debacle. It was really there for the taking. 

12 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

The market hasn’t shifted since 5 years ago, it’s been like this for years now. At the top of the game I’d agree yes with players going for £150m plus 

The increase in premier leagues fees has an impact on the leagues below.

If you have a top young (ish) champoinship striker who could potentially be worth 100m plus if he signs for a premier team that will have a big affect on his transfer value.

Also I'd very much doubt you would be able to pick up proven forwards like Hooper and Forestieri for the 2-3m we paid back then.

2 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

The increase in premier leagues fees has an impact on the leagues below.

If you have a top young (ish) champoinship striker who could potentially be worth 100m plus if he signs for a premier team that will have a big affect on his transfer value.

Also I'd very much doubt you would be able to pick up proven forwards like Hooper and Forestieri for the 2-3m we paid back then.

I hear you. But FF was a bit part player for Watford & Hooper was way down the pecking order at Norwich, but you’re right they’d probs go for more in today’s market 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRADDO said:

I liked Carlos. That first season was really exciting and he was a breath of fresh air. However, he got schooled by Bruce in the final but I lost faith in him after the Huddersfield debacle. It was really there for the taking. 

When Fletcher got the goal I thought let's put it to bed, but we let Huddersfield dominate, we never looked confident with the pens

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

When Fletcher got the goal I thought let's put it to bed, but we let Huddersfield dominate, we never looked confident with the pens

Dominate? They had a bit more of the ball without creating hardly anything and got back into it with an own goal. It's easy to say with hindsight (and I'd agree with you) that we should have kept up the pressure in that game, but the fact still stands that Carlos gave us two successful seasons and we've not even come close to touching those heights since.

I can't get my head around the people treating it so black and white that promotion=success and anything else is a failure. If we were a Newcastle coming down after decades in the Prem and a budget dwarfing the rest of the league then sure, success for them that year had to be storming the auto spots, but that was never the definition of success for us. We got too big for our boots too quickly and started to think we deserved promotion after one good season. The same thing happened to Derby and we both imploded.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dan™ said:

Dominate? They had a bit more of the ball without creating hardly anything and got back into it with an own goal. It's easy to say with hindsight (and I'd agree with you) that we should have kept up the pressure in that game, but the fact still stands that Carlos gave us two successful seasons and we've not even come close to touching those heights since.

I can't get my head around the people treating it so black and white that promotion=success and anything else is a failure. If we were a Newcastle coming down after decades in the Prem and a budget dwarfing the rest of the league then sure, success for them that year had to be storming the auto spots, but that was never the definition of success for us. We got too big for our boots too quickly and started to think we deserved promotion after one good season. The same thing happened to Derby and we both imploded.

I actually agree with you, so do you reckon we have turned a corner? It feels different this season, there's a feel good factor around the club and fans

Guest T Hardy
7 hours ago, owlsdreamer said:

Was a big game bottler

Hull and Huddersfield stand out

Huddersfield 1st leg. They had a rookie goalie and we couldn’t get 1 shot on target

Huddersfield game plan was a 0-0 at theirs and a scruffy 1-0 at ours.

we all know the rest of the story.

let’s move on please

The ‘big game bottler’ won the Portuguese cup last season. 

Wembley proved too much for everyone after the season we’d had, not one person had predicted us to get there. The occasional overwhelmed everybody. 

Yes, the Huddersfield games could have gone better, but don’t forget half our squad was crippled - in the same way Brighton’s was the season before that we benefitted from.

Let’s be honest, most fans who dislike him only do because of the 2-4. If we’d beaten them, all you in here slagging him off would be saying at least he beat the pigs and you know it 

Guest T Hardy
2 hours ago, quinnssweetshop said:

It is...  But I slagged him off when things started going pear shape very quickly.. I got grief then too. But hated to say I was right. 

It's the way he is idolised... For

Nothing. 

A play off final one season and play offs again the next, how have we done since?

No matter how much you try to play it down, those are achievements that surpass any manager we’ve had for a very very long time 

Guest T Hardy
3 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

Wembley proved too much for everyone after the season we’d had, not one person had predicted us to get there. The occasional overwhelmed everybody. 

Yes, the Huddersfield games could have gone better, but don’t forget half our squad was crippled - in the same way Brighton’s was the season before that we benefitted from.

Let’s be honest, most fans who dislike him only do because of the 2-4. If we’d beaten them, all you in here slagging him off would be saying at least he beat the pigs and you know it 

occasion not occasional 

6 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

And not to mention its blatantly obvious he didn't dictate the signings. So these accusations that he left us with a crocked ageing squad is detracting from the obvious truth. 

Players like Jones, Abdi, they weren't his signings. 

Look back, he said in an interview he wanted a championship proven centre half, Morrison and Keogh were the ones. 

He ended up with Joost Van Aken for £4m!

He wanted Guedioura, powerful player, didn't get him. We then sign Abdi. 

If anything, that recruitment model and approach actually COST HIM and made his job harder. 

Edited by WhiteOwl91

Guest T Hardy
23 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

And not to mention its blatantly obvious he didn't dictate the signings. So these accusations that he left us with a crocked ageing squad is detracting from the obvious truth. 

Players like Jones, Abdi, they weren't his signings. 

Look back, he said in an interview he wanted a championship proven centre half, Morrison and Keogh were the ones. 

He ended up with Joost Van Aken for £4m!

He wanted Guedioura, powerful player, didn't get him. We then sign Abdi. 

If anything, that recruitment model and approach actually COST HIM and made his job harder. 

I know mate, and I know CC really tried to get us to sign Scott Malone, Kevin McDonald and Hourihane too 

1 hour ago, T Hardy said:

Give it a rest mate, he’s not going to shag you.

• Love 1

I liked Carlos. I echo @T Hardy in that, being in my 30s, we have had naff all to be cheerful of during out support period and he gave us results to cheer

However

Objectively speaking, with those signings and the team we had I'm sure any manager worth their salt would have done the same if not better

And that's the rub of it all really. If a manager being a "success" would have been interchangeable with any other decent manager then does that make him a decent manager? Or just better than what we had been served

• Like 1

I remember when Carlos first arrived at Hillsborough, i asked one of my English Language students here in Istanbul who used to play under him at IBB Spor (now known as Istanbul Başakşehir) about him. He kind of sighed, said he is a good coach but doesn't seem to be able to turn things round when on a losing streak. I mentioned this in a thread at the time, and i guess he was right.

I liked Carlos but he frustrated me and when i realised the extent of the lack of fitness training he did with players and the damage it did to players such as Keiran Lee i found it unforgivable. I enjoyed the first season, 2nd season was effective but so frustrating, and i agree with many on here that he should have gone after the bottle job against Hudds (and took Rhodes with him).

• Thanks 1

Guest T Hardy
2 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Give it a rest mate, he’s not going to shag you.

You’re the one with the unhealthy hateful obsession pal, not me 😉