Carlos on Talksport

50 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The only thing he achieved was recruiting loads of nodding lapdogs who applaud his every word and nosh him off any chance they get

29 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

He gave us hope and we believed and for a season and bit we could dream again.

See above for perfect example 👆👆

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

There were plenty of positives to CC. Unfortunately he simply stayed too long.

Ironically, the biggest failing of that period was his relationship with DC. They were too friendly. Had he been prepared to challenge the decision making process behind transfers instead of just accepting what was put in front of him and the Frankenstein squad, things may have panned out a little different 

Edited by Morepork

Guest T Hardy
36 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Both achieved exactly the same as Pulis and Jos Luhukay

As someone in their early 30s, seeing Wednesday walk out at Wembley and that win away at Brighton are my best memories as a fan. It created hope and expectations like I’ve never had before, although we didn’t get over the line, those are my best memories, and for that reason he achieved more than any other manager in my memory, and I’ll be fond of him for that reason until a manager takes us into the Premier League - only then we can play down what CC achieved here. Until then, his time here is the best memory that a lot of us have, you can start comparing him with other managers when we have a manager who gets us to Wembley or better 👍

Guest T Hardy
22 minutes ago, Morepork said:

There were plenty of positives to CC. Unfortunately he simply stayed too long.

Ironically, the biggest failing of that period was his relationship with DC. They were too friendly. Had he been prepared to challenge the decision making process behind transfers instead of just accepting what was put in front of him and the Frankenstein squad, things may have panned out a little different 

I defend CC but I think you’re right. Carlos favours the European model too much where transfers are handled behind the scenes and he’s more interested in the day to day management of players and training 

Carlos Season 1) Awful first halves. 'Why do we never start on the front foot?' Second halves were indeed brilliant.

Season 2) Saw how boring, defensive minded teams like Boro and Burnley got promoted and thought that was the way to do it.

Had one of the most attackingly gifted bunch of players in the league and castrated them of their creativity.

So very, very frustrating.

And he shagged my missus.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

I defend CC but I think you’re right. Carlos favours the European model too much where transfers are handled behind the scenes and he’s more interested in the day to day management of players and training 

Yep and it hurt us. He’s a good, experienced coach, there’s no way he assembles or sanctions such an imbalanced squad.

Guest T Hardy
2 minutes ago, Buck Rogers said:

Carlos Season 1) Awful first halves. 'Why do we never start on the front foot?' Second halves were indeed brilliant.

Season 2) Saw how boring, defensive minded teams like Boro and Burnley got promoted and thought that was the way to do it.

Had one of the most attackingly gifted bunch of players in the league and castrated them of their creativity.

So very, very frustrating.

And he shagged my missus.

Season 2 - don’t you think the way we wanted to play was countered well by teams who figured us out and just put men behind the ball and we struggled to adapt to that? I think that was the case rather than choosing to be defensive. Still got us 4th though

15 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

Season 2 - don’t you think the way we wanted to play was countered well by teams who figured us out and just put men behind the ball and we struggled to adapt to that? I think that was the case rather than choosing to be defensive. Still got us 4th though

Six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Opposition teams could well have figured us out as we were the media darlings under Carlos and opposing teams didn't really have to do much homework as we were laid bare and analysed to the nth degree on Sky every other week.

But still feel we had the talent to adapt to that and we were playing within ourselves far too much.

Just frustrating as most people could see we were just a few players and a more positive approach short of being truly awesome.

Here’s a quote from his book…. Can you imagine what his team talks must’ve been like.

“Tactical Periodisation is a practice concept that has a Conceptual Matrix – the play, the collective intent, the Tactical, supported by the Game’s MacroPrinciples; it’s operationalised based on another matrix, the Methodological that is supported by its own Methodological Principles, respecting a Standard Morphocycle in building a Specific style of playing.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of his biggest failings for me was his persistence with that narrow 4-4-2 (ironically for an overseas coach).

He did play 3 central midfielders v Arsenal; Bannan, Hutchinson and Lee which worked brilliantly but then, for some reason, never played it again.

Had we gone in with three central midfielders I think we'd have given Hull a better game and I think we would have beaten Huddersfield.  As it was playing 4-4-2 allowed Huddlestone to run the game for Hull and Mooy to run the game for Huddersfield.

1 hour ago, T Hardy said:

As someone in their early 30s, seeing Wednesday walk out at Wembley and that win away at Brighton are my best memories as a fan. It created hope and expectations like I’ve never had before, although we didn’t get over the line, those are my best memories, and for that reason he achieved more than any other manager in my memory, and I’ll be fond of him for that reason until a manager takes us into the Premier League - only then we can play down what CC achieved here. Until then, his time here is the best memory that a lot of us have, you can start comparing him with other managers when we have a manager who gets us to Wembley or better 👍

I remember Ron Atkinson who actually managed a winning cup final team.  Also Wilkinson and Francis mixing it with the big boys in the top flight.  Carlos doesn’t come close in my view although I am in my mid 40s!

• Like 2

I’m 51 so seen the early 80s under wilko then early 90s under big Ron then tricky trev, then the 90s where we still beat the big sides until relegation in 2000. Cc have a generation of fans something to believe in and very nearly pulled it off..or in my opinion fluked it off?  Came in when we started to spend and all the better players arrived , had a bigger budget and better players than most Wednesday managers ever dreamed of and still messed it up. Lots of those games first season could have gone either way ...never really went for it at Wembley 2nd season seemed to play with handbrake on most of the time . Injuries mounted up when rumered players weren’t training properly? Bottled it against hudds in play offs and finally looked like he’d lost dressing room before he got the sack whilst taking to Swansea at the same time! Well thanks cc gave us some good times but ultimately failed and that’s that move on 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Carlos was an excellent manager. Gave us 2 great seasons. And fell just short twice. 

He wasn't signing the players.  He was advising a sports management set. 

They bought the players. They agreed the wages. 

Progressive football was new to our fans. And when winning it's great. When we play 45 passes across back and into midfield. And don't move forward. The wednesday crowd don't like it. 

Big Ron was my fav. Sturrock. Megson and Jones. Also I loved. 

Cc was the one that we maybe needed if we had gone up. 

Swings and roundabouts. 

Darren Moore is getting us back to where the fans and club bond. 

That's priceless

#wawaw

• Like 3