Carlos on Talksport

2 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

I walked out of Wembley thinking we were a midfield anchor and a forward player with genuine pace away. 

We didn't get them, and for me the Huddersfield games are the perfect example of why we needed them. For all the quality that squad had, it still had a couple of glaring weaknesses. Stick a commanding centre mid to disrupt their play and some genuine pace to serve as a counter attacking out ball, and for me we win that semi-final - especially the home leg - and probably the final against Reading. 

Don't get me wrong I was fuming with Carlos at the time for those 2 games, but we didn't get the recruitment right after Wembley and in hindsight I don't think that was Carlos' fault. 

I seem to remember Carlos made it clear who his targets were and what type of player he wanted… He didn’t get them. I’m not even sure Carlos was ultimately responsible for the players we signed …. From what people were saying on here at the time, Carlos requested the type of player that he wanted and the powers above provided them. 

One example was Austin, the midfielder who left L**ds, but we couldn’t get a work permit for him. Big strong battling box to box midfielder

Fans can debate whether he was the right player or not but that’s ultimately irrelevant, it was who Carlos wanted … who did we end up with instead? 

1 hour ago, TodwickOwl said:

So Carlos comes into a job where the gaffer goes - here, there's pretty much unlimited spend to go at in the next 1-2 years - do as you please. 

And HE was the issue? 

As above, can we truely say that Carlos signed all those players? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Miffed said:

I seem to remember Carlos made it clear who his targets were and what type of player he wanted… He didn’t get them. I’m not even sure Carlos was ultimately responsible for the players we signed …. From what people were saying on here at the time, Carlos requested the type of player that he wanted and the powers above provided them. 

One example was Austin, the midfielder who left L**ds, but we couldn’t get a work permit for him. Big strong battling box to box midfielder

Fans can debate whether he was the right player or not but that’s ultimately irrelevant, it was who Carlos wanted … who did we end up with instead? 

As above, can we truely say that Carlos signed all those players? 

Carlos is our King...welcome back in my book. Whatever you say, I was a good couple of seasons.

I don’t know why people keep quoting this great job he’s doing at Braga. He took a team who finished 3rd and won a cup, to 4th and won a cup. I’d call it solid work but it’s difficult to say he’s doing a great job when they actually finished lower.

For me I really enjoyed the first 10 months of his reign. He was a big character, brought us all together and we really felt on a roll.

The second season was turgid but efficient. I can’t say I enjoyed it and it always felt destined to fail. I think that Brighton away semi always effected Carlos, we got battered and could have been 7/8-0 at half time. It never felt the same after.

The transfer is a difficult one, but I’ve been told he was very friendly with Paxiao and for that I personally, maybe if I shouldn’t, hold him accountable for the waste. Unless he categorically comes out and says he wasn’t signing players he will always be responsible in my head.

The other real annoyance with him is his treatment of Paul Smith and the medical team. Our injury record since has been horrific and that has to be related to some extent. 

Ultimately it’s fond memories at the start but heavily tainted by the stuff above.

Edited by boxing_day
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Should have left after the Huddersfield debacle.

After a home draw against Huddersfield, where we went out on penalties?

Darren Moore should have gone after the first game this season, then, following that daft logic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

He’s had 19 different managerial stunts since 1998.

That's true.   Far too many.

But his managerial record is....

Played 691   Won 304.  D 180.  Lost 207.   GF 987.   GA 772.

Wish we had that record in our last 691 matches.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

After a home draw against Huddersfield, where we went out on penalties?

Darren Moore should have gone after the first game this season, then, following that daft logic.

Yeah, they’re exactly the same🤣
The away leg at Huddersfield was more an issue. But it was also the fact that we needed a new broom after that, move some players and manager on.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

That's true.   Far too many.

But his managerial record is....

Played 691   Won 304.  D 180.  Lost 207.   GF 987.   GA 772.

Wish we had that record in our last 691 matches.

What is our record in our last 691 games?