Italy's Euro win is an inspiration

From doom and gloom they rose from the ashes and triumphed, Roberto Mancini the saviour, now we also are rising from the ashes slowly slowly, Darren Moore 'our' saviour, putting out the fire that nearly destroyed this great Club. Comparing Italy to Wednesday is nonsense, but nobody gave the Azzurri a chance until the Turkey and Switzerland games, 3 wins on the spin, no goals conceded, there is a lot of comparisons there, nobody gives us a chance, you just wait and see, WAWAW? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

From doom and gloom they rose from the ashes and triumphed, Roberto Mancini the saviour, now we also are rising from the ashes slowly slowly, Darren Moore 'our' saviour, putting out the fire that nearly destroyed this great Club. Comparing Italy to Wednesday is nonsense, but nobody gave the Azzurri a chance until the Turkey and Switzerland games, 3 wins on the spin, no goals conceded, there is a lot of comparisons there, nobody gives us a chance, you just wait and see, WAWAW? 

Also I believe they will get promotion with 9 games to spare

Guest T Hardy
5 hours ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

2 penalty shootout wins though 

I don’t think that’s the genius some are making out. England could have easily won that shootout had Saka scored and nobody would be talking about Mancini, this thread would be about Southgate

2 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

2 penalty shootout wins though 

I don’t think that’s the genius some are making out. England could have easily won that shootout had Saka scored and nobody would be talking about Mancini, this thread would be about Southgate

Penalties are part and parcel now,  Sancho and Rashford took penalties  too, but Italy won fair and square, ifs and buts isn't it? 

Guest T Hardy
Just now, Daniele Giovanni said:

Penalties are part and parcel now,  Sancho and Rashford took penalties  too, but Italy won fair and square, ifs and buts isn't it? 

Penalties are a lottery. I just dislike analysis and conclusions based on lotteries. In the same way a team hitting the bar 3 times with 12 shots on target ending 0-0 is a tactical masterclass by the defending team to the pundits, yet if the team attacking gets a dodgy winner in 90+5 we hear that the best team won as they were knocking on the door the whole game, and nothing about the tactical masterclass from the defending team 

I suppose my issue is analysis is usually done on the result rather than overall performance, often they will go hand in hand, but sometimes they really don’t. I believe there’s so much luck in football and we’re too quick to call it genius 

Guest T Hardy
2 minutes ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

What a sad lot you English fans are, your players take off their runners up medals, and fans disappeared even before Italy was given the trophy, shame on you

Did you stay to clap Hull at Wembley in 2016?

36 minutes ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

What a sad lot you English fans are, your players take off their runners up medals, and fans disappeared even before Italy was given the trophy, shame on you

Yeah pretty much every nation takes off their runner up medals, so try again 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

Saw a fair few tipping them to win it before it even started, myself included and I was confident enough to put money on it. 

Edited by Skyline
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, T Hardy said:

Penalties are a lottery. I just dislike analysis and conclusions based on lotteries. In the same way a team hitting the bar 3 times with 12 shots on target ending 0-0 is a tactical masterclass by the defending team to the pundits, yet if the team attacking gets a dodgy winner in 90+5 we hear that the best team won as they were knocking on the door the whole game, and nothing about the tactical masterclass from the defending team 

I suppose my issue is analysis is usually done on the result rather than overall performance, often they will go hand in hand, but sometimes they really don’t. I believe there’s so much luck in football and we’re too quick to call it genius 

Penalties are not a lottery. In some ways, I think that they are less of a lottery than the matches themselves

Guest T Hardy
8 minutes ago, markg said:

Penalties are not a lottery. In some ways, I think that they are less of a lottery than the matches themselves

How do you work that out?

2 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

How do you work that out?

Penalties are a measure of skill, technique and ability to handle pressure. You are never unlucky to miss. 

in a match, there is a lot that is down to luck. Teams can dominate heavily and lose, injuries, bad decisions, hitting the bar etc.

i just refuse to believe that penalties shootouts are a lottery. Some players just have better technique and a better handle of pressure.

Guest T Hardy
7 minutes ago, markg said:

Penalties are a measure of skill, technique and ability to handle pressure. You are never unlucky to miss. 

in a match, there is a lot that is down to luck. Teams can dominate heavily and lose, injuries, bad decisions, hitting the bar etc.

i just refuse to believe that penalties shootouts are a lottery. Some players just have better technique and a better handle of pressure.

You mention technique and handling pressure, and I think you’re missing the massive element of luck involved in penalties. The keepers have a good idea from previous penalties where a player will strike the ball, but it’s often players who haven’t taken penalties in shootouts. The keeper has to guess where to go, if he dives early enough he might make a great save depending on how well the penalty is taken (or not). It’s too unpredictable and relies on luck. You’ve got 90 mins for luck to usually balance itself out in a match over the knockout of a penalty shootout. In a kind of similar argument but reversing what I’m saying about matches, it’s why I think league titles are a better measure of success than winning tournaments, you’ve got a year to be consistent where as one off games can go against you and be down to luck. You won’t win a league title because of luck, but you could fluke your way through two penalty shootouts and win a final 

I disagree but respect your opinion

10 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

You mention technique and handling pressure, and I think you’re missing the massive element of luck involved in penalties. The keepers have a good idea from previous penalties where a player will strike the ball, but it’s often players who haven’t taken penalties in shootouts. The keeper has to guess where to go, if he dives early enough he might make a great save depending on how well the penalty is taken (or not). It’s too unpredictable and relies on luck. You’ve got 90 mins for luck to usually balance itself out in a match over the knockout of a penalty shootout. In a kind of similar argument but reversing what I’m saying about matches, it’s why I think league titles are a better measure of success than winning tournaments, you’ve got a year to be consistent where as one off games can go against you and be down to luck. You won’t win a league title because of luck, but you could fluke your way through two penalty shootouts and win a final 

I disagree but respect your opinion

Yeah fist points mate. 
I definitely agree on league titles. 

Where I think that there isn’t luck in penalties is that some players are just good at then. Great technique and a handle on the pressure and it doesn’t matter what the keeper does. There are some players you just know will not miss in a shootout 

• Like 1