IORFA NEW CONTRACT

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Can't help but think that if we don't go up then him and Windass will be able to leave very cheap indeed. I don't think either have signed deals for two seasons in league one.

You can’t expect Windass, Iorfa or Bannan for that matter to stay should we stay in League 1 next season. The fact that Windass and Iorfa have signed recently makes me believe they don’t think we will be? But Wednesday Fans being Wednesday Fans will not totally share that belief but it’s there amongst the players, that’s very clear to see.

• Like 1

Iorfa won't have been on some sort of megabucks, particularly when compared with what some were on a few years ago. 

We picked him up for 250k from Wolves reserves team, so he won't have been earning a shed load. 

Likewise, I doubt Windass was on some sort of crazy money at Wigan. 

Honestly, I reckon the only one in the current squad who is on a crazy wage for this level is probably Bannan. 

That's not to say we are not paying better than most at this level, but still. 

Edited by SiJ

1 hour ago, Jim said:

You can’t expect Windass, Iorfa or Bannan for that matter to stay should we stay in League 1 next season. The fact that Windass and Iorfa have signed recently makes me believe they don’t think we will be? But Wednesday Fans being Wednesday Fans will not totally share that belief but it’s there amongst the players, that’s very clear to see.

100% agree. The players definitely believe we are going up. You can see it in every interview they give and in the post match celebrations. Sure they might have release clauses or something if we don’t go up (probably with a pre-set fee) but a player like Iorfa, who is way, way too good for this level wouldn’t bother extending if he didn’t feel part of something good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Can't help but think that if we don't go up then him and Windass will be able to leave very cheap indeed. I don't think either have signed deals for two seasons in league one.

Not many players who get clauses that allow them to leave mid contract on the cheap.

I agree they won't want to be around for 2 years at this level, none of us do! Even so, it is good news, much better that they agree to sign longer deals for us rather than wanting out now or leaving on a free next summer. 

Guest Therealrealist
41 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

Not exaggerating at all here but this is like Christmas, your birthday, the time you lost your virginity, your first legal pint and a jackpot lottery win all rolled into one big defensive colossus ball, fabulous news.

I think you are tbh

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Iorfa won't have been on some sort of megabucks, particularly when compared with what some were on a few years ago. 

We picked him up for 250k from Wolves reserves team, so he won't have been earning a shed load. 

Honestly, I reckon the only one in the current squad who is on a crazy wage for this level is probably Bannan. 

I honestly recon at least 15-20 league one clubs won't have a player on a wage anything near what we have just given to Iorfa and Windass.

3 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

I honestly recon at least 15-20 league one clubs won't have a player on a wage anything near what we have just given to Iorfa and Windass.

True, but those same 15-20 league one clubs won't have 21,000 turning up to watch them play Fleetwood on a Tuesday night.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Jim said:

I think it’s the decades of disappointment Jim, with just the odd bit of success every now and again. These lads are fresh faced enthusiasm. That’s the difference between the fans and players. But as we all know give us a glimmer f hope of something good and we will grab it with both hands. 

• Like 2

As many others have said, to extend for another 12 months makes great sense for all parties. Hope for a fantastic year and promotion, but if we don't go up, we still get a sensible transfer fee for our valuable assets. Everything we haven't been doing for the past 6 years. Are we actually becoming a well functioning football club? What has changed in the space of a summer?

8 hours ago, SiJ said:

Iorfa won't have been on some sort of megabucks, particularly when compared with what some were on a few years ago

I’m sure I read somewhere that he was on about £8k a week, possibly when everyone was up in arms that Van Aken was earning double it or something daft. 

If he’s had a raise to £10k for arguments sake that’s still high for League 1, but lets be right he isn’t a League 1 defender is he. Speculate to accumulate in this instance I’d say

8 hours ago, toppOwl said:

Not exaggerating at all here but this is like Christmas, your birthday, the time you lost your virginity, your first legal pint and a jackpot lottery win all rolled into one big defensive colossus ball, fabulous news.

What a night out that was…..😂

Edited by Morepork
  • Haha 1

Guest hirstysfags
8 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

True, but those same 15-20 league one clubs won't have 21,000 turning up to watch them play Fleetwood on a Tuesday night.

Or have a £2.5m payment due on their ground rent coming up shortly.

10 hours ago, ruscol85 said:

I’m sure I read somewhere that he was on about £8k a week, possibly when everyone was up in arms that Van Aken was earning double it or something daft. 

If he’s had a raise to £10k for arguments sake that’s still high for League 1, but lets be right he isn’t a League 1 defender is he. Speculate to accumulate in this instance I’d say

8 grand a week! 8 thousand pounds a week! 400,000 + a year! That must be like losing your virginity,first pint,Christmas Day, and winning lottery all rolled into one! I’d run about tackling ote that moved like a psychopath for that! 8 grand though🤑