The case for resting Hutchinson at Morcambe

We all love the Hutch-Iorfa partnership at the heart of our record-setting defence but we also know Hutch will need careful management to last the season. 

His body has already failed to make it to the end of the 4th game of the season. 

No doubt we'd love to see him back as soon as possible but if we rest him on Saturday against Morcambe we could get him 24 days rest. 

That's because the Sunderland game on Sept 4th may be postponed for international call ups meaning he would next play on Sept 11 v Plymouth. 

Moore said the injury was from too many games:

"We think it was general soreness with Sam from the volume of games. He has had the last couple of days for it to settle down.

"We did not want him to aggravate it… We have given him another 24 hours for it to settle down."

Hutch probably could play on Saturday but giving him the maximum rest may prove beneficial in the long term. 

Plus Dunkley has just had a full 90 minutes with Iorfa and the rest of the defence so the pairing have something to build on. And Dunkley was just named in the League 1 team of the week. 

Just something to bear in mind should Hutch not be on the team sheet this Saturday. It may not be a sign of a serious injury, just some squad management to keep Sam upright for the rest of the campaign. 

• Like 4

It would be great if we had someone making these decisions for us, someone who works regularly with the team, someone who could communicate with Hutch, who knew how Hutch was, could see him run and exercise and even maybe watch him play football. Yeah this would be great and then that person could decided if he needed a rest or not.

Any ideas? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, briggowl said:

It would be great if we had someone making these decisions for us, someone who works regularly with the team, someone who could communicate with Hutch, who knew how Hutch was, could see him run and exercise and even maybe watch him play football. Yeah this would be great and then that person could decided if he needed a rest or not.

Any ideas? 

Someone on here'll know.

• Haha 1

Iorfa, Dunkley and Hutchinson have all had injury problems so will all need careful management and a bit of rotating. Can’t imagine Gibson won’t get plenty of use this year as well. But for me if Hutchinson is fit we play him. Points on the board are the priority for me. Doesn’t mean we put players at undue risk but every single time any player steps foot on a pitch there is a chance they will get injured. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

I have an idea why don't we leave it to the medical team and Moore and his staff to decide on Hutchinsons fitness or we could do 1 potato 2 potato on here let's think about it

I think that DM and the medical team may make the final decision, but everyone knows they read owlstalk just to get a more balanced decision.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, briggowl said:

Any ideas? 

I don't know.

Jos Luhakey seemed like he could have done with some advice from randoms on Owlstalk...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

If he's fit then play him.

Absolutely no guarantees we will come out of the game with points, so need our best team available.

Completely agree.

I see it as okay our best players and we know we have adequate cover now. You never know how hutch is going to injury wise, every game is a question 

19 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

I have an idea why don't we leave it to the medical team and Moore and his staff to decide on Hutchinsons fitness or we could do 1 potato 2 potato on here let's think about it

Can I just ask. What are we supposed to talk about on here? How many people on OwlsTalk can actually influence decisions been made by the club's management? 

It's just a discussion between fans. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, poite said:

Can I just ask. What are we supposed to talk about on here? How many people on OwlsTalk can actually influence decisions been made by the club's management? 

It's just a discussion between fans. 

This is well put. 

*Of course* all such decisions come down to DM and the medical team. Coming on Owlstalk to tell people to stop discussing topics about Sheffield Wednesday seems a strange use of someone's time. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1