1 hour ago, fudge27 said:

Did you just say Iorfa is a better player then Des Walker? 

fizz me

Not sure that’s what he said. “Better all round game” is what he said and I find myself nodding guiltily in agreement.

Des, by a country mile was the best defender I have ever seen at Wednesday, possibly the best the club has ever had, but wasn’t all that special on the ball and carried zero goal threat to the opposition, so yeah Dom’s right up there in terms of all round game…

YOU’LL NEVER BEAT IORFA…

13 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Yes I think if he didn’t get injured 

1) We’d still be a Championship club

2) Iorfa probably would have received a number of offers to move on

With 5 clean sheets from 5 games our defence is going to be in the spotlight now. I’ll be happy when the window shuts if Iorfa is still our player

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

With 5 clean sheets from 5 games our defence is going to be in the spotlight now. I’ll be happy when the window shuts if Iorfa is still our player

I’d listen to any silly bids, but it’d have to be something big for us to accept at this stage of the window. 

Just now, FreshOwl said:

I’d listen to any silly bids, but it’d have to be something big for us to accept at this stage of the window. 

If a club offers him a deal on double or triple what he’s earning with us it could be tough for us to keep him. 

He needs a new deal and I hope he signs it with us. If Iorfa and Bannan play the majority of the games for us this season we’re guaranteed to be up there in this league 

9 minutes ago, matt68owls said:

if somebody came in with an offer of £3-4 million, would you take it?

I spent all of pre-season deriding people for saying we shouldn't be accepting a similar sort of sum for Josh Windass, because I kept saying that money could be reinvested in the team, and we shouldn't put all our eggs in the "promotion this season" basket and instead build more conservatively.

I think all that's changed now. We've recruited brilliantly and bought in a very strong team that has gone about its business competently. It's early days yet, but we look like real contenders... and having Iorfa at the back really could be the difference between promotion and not this season. Considering we get a £6 million influx of cash upon promotion, and add on the positive momentum that would bring... I would say an asking price of £8 million might be fair.

Yes, I have been on the sauce, but I think I'm gonna think the same sober!

• Like 2

A key player this season and certainly top end Championship standard.  As for Premier League, I’m not so sure - don’t think he’s good enough with the ball at his feet and his pace disguises poor positioning at times. When it comes to Des Walker comparisons, I think it shows how long the club has been out of the top flight and we’ve forgotten what a genuinely top class defender looks like.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, matt68owls said:

if somebody came in with an offer of £3-4 million, would you take it?

As a few others have said considering how much promotion is worth of day no we shouldn't accept 3-4 million. 

I'd rather lose him on a free in the summer but secure promotion. Plus I think if we go up he'd sign a new contract with Championship football and a good atmosphere with Moore building positively for the next few years.

Best way to keep Iorfa is to get promoted. He’s a championship defender and a very good one,  but he isn’t Prem standard IMO. Maybe a team would have him as cover but he wouldn’t be a starter so why would he want that anyway? If a team offered £5mill plus I could imagine he’d be off but he’s not long after injury for a team to shell out the cash. 

Even if he doesn't sign, I'd keep him. That is unless he kicked off or something, but I don't see that.

Yes, we might miss out on a fee if he was to leave on a free in the summer, but he's one of those players who may well lead us to promotion. That's worth several million  quid to the club.

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 1

He's been out most valuble asset for about 2.5 years now. He's good with the ball at his feet, strong in the air, great in a challenge and is faster than 95% of strikers. How he is still at Wednesday is beyond me. When Brighton signed Adam Webster for £8m I was sure we could get something similar for Iorfa a few years ago because he is so much better than him it's beyond a joke.

8 hours ago, maldino2004 said:

I’ve been going to Hillsborough since 1970 and have seen some really good centre-backs over the years, Walker, Lyons, Pearson, Thome, Warhurst etc, but I can honestly say that none of them ever had the all round game that Iofa has.

I don’t think that he is particularly weak in any area of his game but excels in most. My only worry concerning him is that if we don’t tie him down soon he will end up plying his trade in an higher league with someone else. 

Reminds me of big Viv

Fairly sure he’s got a low release clause. I do wonder if someone will test our resolve before the end of the window. Leicester we’re sniffing a while back, but at the top level his distribution might not be quite at the standard required.  

Thing is, he’s got a chance to hopefully win promotion/win a league here. That might sway him to hang around. 

Top player, and playing well below his level here. And people forget he’s back after nearly a year out with injury. 

10 hours ago, prowl said:

and his contract is up at the end of the season. If we don't extend it we will have to sell in January or he will walk for nothing. Much as I hate to say it we might be taking a good offer now if he won't extend.

Personally I'd break the wage structure to keep him and give him a 4 year deal. Decent increase if we get promoted and maybe a release clause if we don't go up. It would be better than him walking for nowt.

Unbelievable. We’ve just been relegated due to a points deduction for financial mismanagement. We have a suspended penalty for failing to pay wages. Some believe we are still under embargo. We sold our ground to make ends meet. We recently posted accounts with employment costs 160% of revenue and your advocating that we  “break the wage structure”