Another Centre Half?

14 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

For the four billionth time…we aren’t ALLOWED to spend any money. Only loans and frees!

If people mean ‘money for wages’ the answer should still be no. We definitely have enough cover in every position.

I think we all know that but thanks for explaining it again for the billionth time. 😀

• Haha 1

Really appreciate dunkleys attitude and commitment.

However,we want to play out from the back and that needs mobile, pass capable, centre backs.

I haven't seen Gibson but am assuming he fits that bill better.

However if dunkley can adapt enough then great.

I trust Moore's judgement on this...as he's baking us something tasty

• Like 1

Just now, Kagoshimaowl said:

For the four billionth time…we aren’t ALLOWED to spend any money. Only loans and frees!

If people mean ‘money for wages’ the answer should still be no. We definitely have enough cover in every position.

Nixon hinted it was a club decision not to pay fees and not imposed by the EFL.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, WUGGAMONKEY1 said:

I do wonder where Paterson will fit in. Not really a striker and not really a midfielder in the type Moore seems to favour (good on the ball).

Offers decent versatility I guess though? Works hard and committed.

3rd choice right back?

1 hour ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Not comfortable at all with the ball at his feet...

Not seen him have a decent game yet , must have been the weakest player that left Wigan and he was amongst a whole squad of them.

• Like 1

I'm not sure another CB is a priority. Hopefully Hutchinson not out too long, thought Dunkley did ok when he came on the other night TBH. I accept he's not the most cultured on the ball, but first and foremost a defender and he put his foot in and won his share of headers.

Not seen Gibson yet, but looks like he is more comfortable on the ball and we have options, Dunkley for the games when we need a brick wall, Gibson for games where we have more of the ball and can bring the ball up field.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, morganowl said:

i had high hopes for dunkley but the lad is a car crash in defence id have gibson in front of him or even better do bratislava need a defender? do you a good deal say 200k?

He's been a near ever present in a defence that got promoted from this league.

He's very good defensively, he just needs gametime and to calm down. The one thing he doesn;t need is our fans groaning every time he passes the ball like we did with Lees or Nuhiu's shots

• Love 2

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

We have 2 players for every position apart from left back so that’s the only gap. Everywhere else should be 1 in 1 out to keep it balanced 

I don’t think we need another left back, we’ve got 3 left footers who can play there and Palmer who has been solid so far (although being naturally right footed makes our play down that side a bit awkward at times) 

Brown - natural LB, number 3, reckon he’ll make that spot his own eventually

Palmer - expect his main position to be RB this season but Moore understandably doesn’t want to break up a back line which is yet to concede, his flexibility is a big asset though

Gibson - played an equal amount of games (6 each) at LB and CB last season at Reading, can see him filling in both positions for us this season

Johnson - has played LB in the past for Boro and can probably do a job if needed

Unless we’re signing someone who’s going to be a guaranteed starter, it’s best to bank the money and reassess in January IMO. We’ve got 2 decent players for every outfield position, I worry we might disrupt the balance of the squad by bringing any more in unless someone leaves… even if someone like Paterson or Luongo left, I think we could cope just fine

Back up keeper to cover peacock Farrell especially if he’s to miss games whilst on international duty . Wildsmith isn’t upto it, even more so if we’re not scoring that many. Won’t win many 1-0 with him in net. If we become more prolific we could prob get away with it for a few games. 

1 hour ago, WUGGAMONKEY1 said:

I do wonder where Paterson will fit in. Not really a striker and not really a midfielder in the type Moore seems to favour (good on the ball).

Offers decent versatility I guess though? Works hard and committed.

To be honest in the short time he was on he offered a good alternative in that wide position against Fleetwood. Surprised me but he gave us something totally different to the other forward players.

• Like 1

You don’t just start stockpiling centre half’s because of a 20 min substitute appearance 

dunkley would get into most starting 11s in this league we are lucky to have him sat on our bench 

think the fact we have Hutchinson and iorfa is a signal of how strong we are this year 

two top half championship centre half’s in league one 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

OK with Green gone who had Dunkley in the boo boys sweepstake?

I don’t think, from the comments so far, that people are seeing Dunkley as a boo-boy at all. People are just expressing their opinions & there doesn’t seem to be anything untoward in any of them. Some rate him higher than others & some don’t rate him much at all.

3 hours ago, WUGGAMONKEY1 said:

If we were to use the Green money to bring in another player, would it be better to bring in another centre half?

I know we have Dunkley and Gibson as cover for Hutchinson & Iorfa but I thought Dunkley looked quite a bit off the pace when he came on v Fleetwood. He didn’t look overly comfortable playing out from the back either. Maybe he just needs minutes to build his sharpness?

Gibson is a bit of an unknown quantity to me and I haven’t seen him play. Hopefully I’m ‘worrying’ about nothing. After all, Hutchinson & Iorfa may stay fit and play the vast majority of our games!

Just watched Gibson on you tube when at Reading, gives a good account of himself, 

• Like 1