Who wanted Paul Cook?

2 hours ago, beswetherick said:

The same applies to us. I think our squad is just as good as theirs, if not better 

It’s not a slur on Wednesday to suggest Ipswich will be formidable in the league this season. I think we will be too and Sunderland probably Portsmouth and Rotherham/Wycombe albeit less than the others. Whoever gets autos won’t have much room for error this season.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bluesteel. said:

I didn’t say they were did I? But they will have a very strong squad for this league and will be pushing along side us.

Those three players I mentioned, they are formidable for league one. I honestly can't see anything formidable about Ipswich if I am honest. 

5 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

Absoultely. Moores greatest success is having built a relationship of trust with Chansiri. None of our managers since Carlos have managed that and I doubt Cook would have either.

Managing chansiri is just as an important a part of the job as managing the team is.

:Chansiri:   "I think I'm going to do another cake ball, but bigger!"

Moore Emoji.png  "Don't you foookin dare!"

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Those three players I mentioned, they are formidable for league one. I honestly can't see anything formidable about Ipswich if I am honest. 

Piggot got 20 goals last season in league one

Fraser one of the top midfield scorers and creators I think 14 goals and 6 assists. 
Chaplin has dropped down a level having got double figures in the championship before as has Bonne. Neither of our two newly signed strikers have done that recently but it’s not to say they won’t do well for us. 

Cameron Burgess plenty of games under his belt at Accrington with a career in the ascendancy.

Carroll has a decent number of championship appearances, probably similarly or even more so than Byers. 

Rekeem Harper and Kyle Edward’s two decent younger signings with premier league and championship experience. I think they have brought in about 14 players.

I think the difference is we have not focused as heavily on good league one players and have more experienced championship players in those roles. But it’s clear both of us have brought in some quality this summer and if we have gelled quicker than they have it could be the difference in what could be a close contest (on paper at least)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bluesteel. said:

Piggot got 20 goals last season in league one

Fraser one of the top midfield scorers and creators I think 14 goals and 6 assists. 
Chaplin has dropped down a level having got double figures in the championship before as has Bonne. Neither of our two newly signed strikers have done that recently but it’s not to say they won’t do well for us. 

Cameron Burgess plenty of games under his belt at Accrington with a career in the ascendancy.

Carroll has a decent number of championship appearances, probably similarly or even more so than Byers. 

Rekeem Harper and Kyle Edward’s two decent younger signings with premier league and championship experience. I think they have brought in about 14 players.

I think the difference is we have not focused as heavily on good league one players and have more experienced championship players in those roles. But it’s clear both of us have brought in some quality this summer and if we have gelled quicker than they have it could be the difference in what could be a close contest (on paper at least)

I am not saying they are not a good side with decent players. But as you have rightly said we have championship players to be feared. And if any of them left i can promise none would end up at Ipswich. 

We're three games in, they've signed 16 players so like us it'll take time to gel. I still think they'll be right up there challenging for automatic promotion. Cook's record suggests he will get it right there. Will also point out one of the games they've had was Burton away and they've gone under the radar in terms of people talking about promotion.

3 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

We needed a new broom and last season in the depths of Pulis, Cook seemed as good as any other broom out there.

I don't think many people considered Moore because we had a track record under Chansiri of only appointing out of work managers. 

Exactly this, until Moore Chansiri hadn't paid compensation for a manager or staff.

When Moore's name was mentioned after Pulis left I certainly didn't think it'd happen due to that exact reason.

• Like 1

I would’ve taken Paul Cook as manager here at any point since Steve Bruce left.

Cook’s a competent coach that has won promotions with 3 different EFL teams since 2014.  I think he’ll get a fourth with Ipswich.

I felt Cook would’ve been a decent candidate to keep us in the Championship despite the off-field turmoil here.

Instead, the club hierarchy felt that the best way to go was to give that position to Monk (zero promotions as a manager, expert in getting himself fired), Pulis (dinosaur), Thompson (caretaker, out of his depth) and Moore (had little chance of keeping us up in fairness).

How did that go?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

I would’ve taken Paul Cook as manager here at any point since Steve Bruce left.

Cook’s a competent coach that has won promotions with 3 different EFL teams since 2014.  I think he’ll get a fourth with Ipswich.

I felt Cook would’ve been a decent candidate to keep us in the Championship despite the off-field turmoil here.

Instead, the club hierarchy felt that the best way to go was to give that position to Monk (zero promotions as a manager, expert in getting himself fired), Pulis (dinosaur), Thompson (caretaker, out of his depth) and Moore (had little chance of keeping us up in fairness).

How did that go?

Why is Paul Cook not managing a championship club then if he is that great. He is good at this level. But that is his ceiling.

13 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Can you point out where I said he is a great manager?

Were you not suggesting he would have kept us up last season where as all of those better managers, most who have managed teams at a better level couldn’t because they were useless. My bad if you wasn't.!

One of the biggest misconceptions in football is Paul Cook is a great manager.

Just now, pazowl55 said:

Were you not suggesting he would have kept us up last season where as all of those better managers, most who have managed teams at a better level couldn’t because they were useless. My bad if you wasn't.!

One of the biggest misconceptions in football is Paul Cook is a great manager.

Didn't say he'd have kept us up.  I mean, he could've done potentially.

I think given all the off-field problems last season, it would've been a challenge for most coaches.

All hypothetical now anyway.

I think Cook is a decent coach - you clearly don't.  Gonna have to agree to disagree here.

• Thanks 1