Don’t wanna be a party pooper..but

Guest Therealrealist

59 minutes ago, morganowl said:

just shows how we have dropped that we will take a 0-0 against world class rotherham . if we want to be going up top 2 we need to beat them not cling onto a nil nil. 

Rotherham will be expected to be near the top end of this league. Last two times they have been in it, they have been promoted. We can’t win every game and most people I suspect would accept a draw. 

People always say you shouldn’t pay any attention to the league table before 10 games and it’s true. Anyone of those 3 teams could be up there at the end of the year and you can only beat what’s infront of you. Everyone of us would have took 7 points and 3 clean sheets in 3 games. We have to be happy but grounded.

• Like 1

I dont' think you can make a proper assessment on if promotion is realistic to at least December.

Thought 1-0 win was about right last night although it was no classic.

When Alan Irvine was manager in this league we were top after about 5 games after 5-0 win at Hartlepool and then it went quickly down the pan.

• Thanks 1

Wednesday fans need to forget everything they know about supporting a football club and learn how to enjoy a game or a season without any guilt and more importantly without feeling a need to start investigating straight after a match and trying to find reasons not to enjoy it 

Looking for players who might not have had a good game, looking for reasons to post why we might fail at some point, looking for something in the tactics that might falter occasionally - all examples of Wednesday fans not knowing how to simply enjoy their football club

Come on… let’s actually enjoy a season without all this self punishment and finding ways to look for faults

• Like 4

Owlstalk Shop

Great 1st 20 mins last night, maybe Fleetwood were in awe of the occasion but they grew into the game and asked us some questions, 3 games and we have shown signs of a good side, neat passing, chances created but it only comes in patches, got to work on being more consistent, a solid unit, at times we have looked lost, hope it will all come together with time but a lot of work to do yet before we start getting carried away, yes work in progress but same can be said of any team, down to you Darren uto. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Wednesday fans need to forget everything they know about supporting a football club and learn how to enjoy a game or a season without any guilt and more importantly without feeling a need to start investigating straight after a match and trying to find reasons not to enjoy it 

Looking for players who might not have had a good game, looking for reasons to post why we might fail at some point, looking for something in the tactics that might falter occasionally - all examples of Wednesday fans not knowing how to simply enjoy their football club

Come on… let’s actually enjoy a season without all this self punishment and finding ways to look for faults

Where’s the fun in that ? Can’t beat a good ol’ Yorkshire moan 

A3C66A3F-6564-4442-9553-2C7EE484F1D7.png

9 hours ago, eightbelow said:

OP is correct, Saturday will tell us a little more.

And should it go wrong during our Annual Outing to see Noddy, Big Ears and chums there will several ‘I Told You So’s’ chomping at the bit to start ‘Moore Out’ Thread’s 😬

Is it going to be a theme where teams are happy to come here - pack the midfield - play tippy tappy - keep possession in easy areas of the pitch - and pretend they are bossing the game without ever looking like scoring?

15 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I dont' think you can make a proper assessment on if promotion is realistic to at least December.

Thought 1-0 win was about right last night although it was no classic.

When Alan Irvine was manager in this league we were top after about 5 games after 5-0 win at Hartlepool and then it went quickly down the pan.

We were where we were in general during  that first half of the season due to Nicky Weaver’s outstanding form. Once this started to dip as it was always going to as it would have been extremely difficult to keep those standards then we started to see a more realistic view of where we were. As I said at the weekend this season feels different.

We were second best after half time, make no bones about it. Yes we won and kept a clean sheet, and of course we are still gelling as a team, but that second half performance was languid. I'd have put a rocket up their collective arses at full time if I'd been Moore. Not full on hairdryer treatment, as that would have been over-the-top, but they'd have left that dressing room understanding that the second half performance was not acceptable for a team claiming they want to get promotion.

When they do the match review today or tomorrow, I would look at the postiives of the game, and the individual performances, to make sure they understand that management team also recognise the positive aspects and contributions of the players during the game. I'd then task the coaches to work on the negative aspects of last nights game to find out why they happened and work to resolve them.

I'm being very critical, but I don't feel there is anything wrong with that. Performances will come, but we need to start to improve them over the next few games.

10 hours ago, beswetherick said:

Unbeaten and haven’t conceded a goal

14 (?) new players bedding in

Gaffer only properly coming back after a serious illness

We’re in a way better position than any of us thought we’d be in a couple of months ago 

Key thing is that because of the rumours about the club’s viability nobody thought we could acquire 13 new players. It’s ironic that because of overpaying salaries last few years, we could not afford new players for Pulis but now we are throwing money around in the pub league hiring almost too many players  and look a giant .

11 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

We were second best after half time, make no bones about it. Yes we won and kept a clean sheet, and of course we are still gelling as a team, but that second half performance was languid. I'd have put a rocket up their collective arses at full time if I'd been Moore. Not full on hairdryer treatment, as that would have been over-the-top, but they'd have left that dressing room understanding that the second half performance was not acceptable for a team claiming they want to get promotion.

When they do the match review today or tomorrow, I would look at the postiives of the game, and the individual performances, to make sure they understand that management team also recognise the positive aspects and contributions of the players during the game. I'd then task the coaches to work on the negative aspects of last nights game to find out why they happened and work to resolve them.

I'm being very critical, but I don't feel there is anything wrong with that. Performances will come, but we need to start to improve them over the next few games.

Quite a few saying we were lucky to hang on. Donny and Fleetwood have trouble scoring which helps. 

We are the definition of a team that will grow into a season. I'm not sure a squad largely thrown together within the last 3 weeks has any right to pick up 7 points from 9 and not concede a goal in 4 competitive games, but here we are.

Regarding the quality of the opposition.. you can only beat what's infront of you, and I think especially at this level you just have to get through and get the points however you can. Just look at last nights games. There were about 3 or 4 games decided by last minute equalisers or winners (and Sunderland had an injury time equaliser chalked off). That's usually Wednesday down to a tee, but last night we closed it out. I don't care who the opposition is, this division is a complete scrap and we want out ASAP.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, victorturner said:

Quite a few saying we were lucky to hang on. Donny and Fleetwood have trouble scoring which helps. 

If we'd have played the last 3 games against Championship clubs, we'd have conceded and no doubt the results would have been different. That said, I don't want to sound over critical because it is a new team, still learning about each other and some of the players haven't had full pre-seasons.

If expectations of promotion have been set, then the attitude and application must be correct. If it isn't, it must be pointed out and stamped out. Tough I know, but that's a winning mentality.