Wednesday - V - Fleetwood Town OMDT

A bit sloppy and disjointed at times, but seven points from nine is a great start, especially from a team that are still very much a work-in-progress.  Ipswich are proving that it's no joke trying to embed so many new players.

Back-to-back home wins and four consequence clean sheets are nice stats too.

• Like 4

Thought Gregory did well and liked the look of Kamberi when he came on.  If we going to persist with one up front then need to do much better at getting support running from midfield.  After a good start by Hunt I thought we offered little from wide positions. Overall I think this team can and will play a lot better as the season progresses.

• Like 1

Disjointed is a good way to describe it,  first 20 minutes it was fantastic and then we lost our way a bit.  I still don’t think having a lack of forwards starting the game is the way to go. Hopefully Sow or Corbeanu will be fit to start soon in place of Johnson.  But a great set of results to start the season. UTO

3 minutes ago, malek said:

Poor 2'nd half.

Losing Hutchinson to injury hurt us and we started panicking. It is hard to play from the back with Dunkley in the side.

If it was purely tactical decision than substituting Byers was not a good one. Along with Bannan he was our most composed player on the pitch and looked worst when he went off.

There were some positives and some negatives to take from the game and we need to improve quickly if we are to keep our great start to the season.

Agree with most of that apart from the booking where he took one for the team and a silly back heel though he was class , Brown for Johnson would have made more sense but in fairness Paterson and Kamberi put them selves about 

Dunkerley is ok in the air but is shocking with the ball at his feet.

Hope the young lad from Everton is decent or we might suffer at the back 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brian said:

A bit sloppy and disjointed at times, but seven points from nine is a great start, especially from a team that are still very much a work-in-progress.  Ipswich are proving that it's no joke trying to embed so many new players.

Back-to-back home wins and four consequence clean sheets are nice stats too.

Advantage of we have over Ipswich is a pretty solid / above average base to build from with a very good (for league 1) back 4 who are familiar with each other and bannan in midfield.  

Good sides are built from the back and we had that in place only needed a solid keeper.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Advantage of we have over Ipswich is a pretty solid / above average base to build from with a very good (for league 1) back 4 who are familiar with each other and bannan in midfield.  

Good sides are built from the back and we had that in place only needed a solid keeper.

Yeah, there's a lot to be said for that.  Good point.

• Like 1

Felt losing Hutchinson changed our approach completely,  we seemed to lose some confidence ,  he’s a massive player for our club 

Disjointed second half, but if we can win these games while we’re still finding our feet then who’s complaining 

A bit sharper and Gregory would’ve had hat-trick tonight

I honestly think there is so much potential in this squad. When you’ve signed a load of players on free signings and loanees like we have it’s going to take a bit of unlocking of that potential. We’ve seen in flashes what we are trying to do, and the results have been good. Sure things are hit and miss in how we are playing right now but who is actually surprised by this? And to not have conceded any goals at all so far is brilliant. 

I’d honestly have taken 0-0 tonight quite happily. Midweek game against a team who have done Ok I’m this league  and are punching well above there weight is the sort of game we could easily have lost. But we won and played good football for a decent period of the first half. 

We are still a work in progress for sure but I’m very happy with how things have started. 

• Like 1

Work in progress but that midfield excites you,  Adeniran looks a class act , so many options to change it up aswell 

Luongo and FDB probably walk into most midfields in this league 

11 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

We’ve got bannan and iorfa that’s what they are missing lol

Edited by stocksyuto
  • Like 1