Man of the match & Ratings -Doncaster (H)

Man of the match  

433 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the match

• Peacock-Farrell
    • Hunt
    • Palmer
    • Adeniran
    • Iorfa
    • Hutchinson
    • Green
    • Bannan
    • Kamberi
    • Wing
    • Johnson
    • Gregory
    • Brown
    • Byers

Tough one, few candidates.

Gone for Bannan in the end for that goal. So much better once we pushed him forward after Byers came on.

Honorable mention for the work rate and off the ball movement of Kamberi. He'd be a real asset in a 4-4-2.

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 9

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Poor first half, but very good in the second. Never a penalty in a million years!

Peacock-Farrell 7 so confident. Did he touch the penalty 

Hunt 6 improved after a poor first half

Iorfa 8 class

Hutchinson 8 solid as a rock

Palmer 6 ok but just hate that he has no left foot. Slows us down

Bannan 8 wonderful goal. Better when Byers came on

Adeniran 6 thought he was anonymous. Extra point for the goal

Wing 7 better in second half. Almost scored

Green 6 almost scored but seems to be playing with no confidence. Needs benching

Johnson 6 ok but seems to be a full back to me

Kamberi 6 some good touches but an awful miss

Gregory 7 like him. Puts himself about. Fans will love him

Brown 7 did well. Got an assist 

Byers 7 looks a good player

Was critical of Moore earlier but the first time in a long time, he got his subs spot on. Onwards and upwards!

Edited by Kagoshimaowl

BPF: 6

Hunt: 5.5. I know he gets a lot of good will but twice in two mins Donny got down our right hand side and he was missing... the second resulted in the pen

Iorfa: 7. Different gravy at this level

Hutch: 7. Ditto

Palmer: 7. Looks like a very good League One fullback. Considering the number of Champ appearances he has, it makes sense.

Bannan: 7.5 (MoM). Rarely give him that accolade, but he stepped up second half. A much much better player when he doesn't play at the base of the midfield and has less time to think about things and just relies on his instincts.

Adeniran: 7. Didn't stand out as much today, but boy does that lad RUN. Plus he got the goal. So, so happy for him... I think he will be ace for us.

Wing: 6. At times he looked a cut above. At others he looked drunk. I think there's a player there, a few tweaks to our system and some time to get used to it... we should see that player.

Green: 5.5. Had a couple of good runs in the first half, but he just doesn't look like he knows what to do a lot of the time. Painful to watch what happened when he was released from the quick free kick. I don't think it's a coincidence we improved when he came off.

Johnson: 5.5. Inconsistent. Hope that's due to a lack of match sharpness, but he doesn't look like a Championship player that's stepped down, he looks like a League One winger.

Kamberi: 7. Going to be generous despite the header miss. Worked really hard and had good movement despite very little service. I think he will be a real asset this season.

Brown: 6. His cross resulted in the goal. Didn't do much else, but I like his pace and directness.

Byers: 6. Caveat that he didn't have much time on the field, but he looked tidy in the limited capacity we saw him in.

Gregory: 6. Hard to judge with again, little service or much to do, but he worked hard and I think his experience will be important this season.

A lot of room for improvement, but it will do, especially considering the squad turnover. Our defensive solidity will make us very difficult to beat this season.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Bannan: 7.5 (MoM). Rarely give him that accolade, but he stepped up second half. A much much better player when he doesn't play at the base of the midfield and has less time to think about things and just relies on his instincts.

I think there's a lot in this. Players with that bit of verve and swerve up the sleeve often look better off the cuff and playing the moment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Agree. And it gives the opposition so much more to think about when he's advanced. I hope DM saw that today, if Byers can sit deeper we look more balanced in midfield. Bannan will worry every team in this division if he's not sat in front of the defense trying long range stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BPF - 8

Hunt - 6

Iorfa - 8

Hutchinson - 8

Palmer - 8

Adeniran - 8

Bannan - 8

Wing - 6

Johnson - 7

Kamberi - 7

Green - 7

Liveliest game we've seen from Green. Played well but should have scored. Defence looked solid again, Hunt was quiet but Palmer made some great runs forward. Kamberi looks good, always looking for the ball and on the move. 

All the subs did really well. Came on and made a difference. Byers looked very tidy and clever on the ball. Gregory put himself about and was a nuisance. Brown, good run and cross for the 2nd goal. 

Doncaster are an awful side. Time wasting, ref pestering, diving cheats from moment one. Never used to mind Donny, they were a good footballing side who liked to pass it well. Now they are just another team of shifhouses. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Peacock-Farrell - 7

Hunt - 7

Palmer - 6

Iorfa - 7

Hutchinson - 7

Green - 5

Bannan - 7

Adeniran - 7

Kamberi - 7 MOM

Wing - 6

Johnson - 5

Gregory - 6

Brown - 7

Byers - 7

Defence was solid, Hutchinson outstanding again and Palmer would be rated 7 like others but offers nothing going forward.

Midfield for 60 mins was all over the shop. Bannan and Adenrian in wrong position and problems of the past looked apparent. However once Bannan moved further up the field we were fantastic and Byers when he came on was brilliant. 

Up top Kamberi was my man of the match.  Great hold up play, touch, work rate and runs. Great CF play, only down side is he missed his chance. However was again far too isolated and would be better in a 2

for me. Out wide Johnson looked unfair and green again was poor. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

This changes the game. So many of our problems in recent years were apparent from the first hour Bannan our best player playing as an advanced CH.

Once he moved further forward was dictating and made us a total different side. Stop playing him

deep and he’s the best player in the league and we have a good chance this year. 

• Thanks 1

Hutchinson by a country mile , never put a foot or header wrong 

like the keeper too very confident 

Iorfa looks good but has he lost a yard or is he protecting his Achilles?

Midfield were anonymous first half 

Bringing Hunt back was a mistake, Palmer is much better 

Going to take time for the team to gel and players to get up to speed and the manager to knit the team together 

looked like a few square pegs out there today but a wins a win 

• Like 1

Peacock-Farrell   -   6   Very little to do , looked secure in what he did have to do

Hunt   -   6   Poor first half , better second

Iorfa   -   8   Big performance

Hutchinson   -   8.5   -  Never put a foot wrong, keep it up bad apple :biggrin:

Palmer   -   6   -   Did OK , looks lost when he crosses halfway line

Adeniran   -    6.5   -  Energetic first half, TBF , second half he was quiet and ineffective till his goal

Wing   -   6.5    -   Flashes of real quality , but drifts out of game occasionally, more to come once we sort out our "system"  

Bannan   -   7.5   -   As has already been said , he looked better once he was more advanced , peach of a finish

Green   -   6   -   Better than last week but difficult to judge whether his inconsistency is down to a lack of effort or a lack of confidence

Kamberi   -   7   -   Pity he missed his big chance cus there was a lot to like about his performance today

Johnson    -   5   -   A bit disappointing TBH , seemed reluctant to attack and too often chose the safe option

SUBS

Gregory   -   6.5   -   Decent start

Brown   -   7   -   Nice assist

Byers   -   6.5   -   Looked neat and tidy

OVERALL

Not a fan of the system TBH , dont like the lone striker, paticularly at home.........................or maybe its closer to the mark to say we are not executing it properly yet , but it is very early days.

At half time the guy next to me summed it up when he said "its a bit vanilla" , we were playing far too deep for a team only playing one central striker (felt a bit sorry for Kamberi) and we HAD just gone 135 minutes without an effort on target.

In all honesty the game was drifting a bit before the wee mans bit of magic , and i was hoping we would go with two strikers for last 20 mins

but to cavaet all the above 4 points from 2 games....job done , and 3 clean sheets is certainly not to be sniffed at.

Finally , how good was it to see Hillsborough rocking again !!!!!!

• Like 2