Arsenal

They've been direction less for a while now. Seem to like a flashy signing, without actually building a team. I was talking to an Arsenal fan at local Pre Season game. When I said about Arsenal and the coming season he said "if we're not challenging by Christmas, Arteta has to go" challenging for what I asked "Champions League places" . I know many a football fan are deluded regardless of who they support but that kinda summed it up for me, they're miles away from where they think they should be.

Guest T Hardy

Wenger never appreciated before as much as now I think.

Did anyone else see him on Bein a few months back, saying he had an agreement with the club that they HAD to sell a star player every summer to survive after they moved into the Emirates? Yet he never said this when he was the manager and was happy to take the stick that it was always his decisions around transfers, in some ways tarnishing his legacy.

Would love to see how he’d have got on with the money Pep has had.

They are utter rubbish. For a club of their size that is.

From the final few years under Wenger until the current time, they’ve been nothing but a bunch of big time Charlie’s. Some of them can play, but when I think about the modern day Arsenal it seems like the image is far greater and more important than the quality on the field.

Without a huge clear out its all set for another season of being out fought over 90 minutes by the likes of Watford and Brentford.

It’s a million miles away from the likes of Bergkamp, Viera, Petit, Cole and Gilberto Silva. All fabulous players but not afraid to mix it when they were on the end of some rough stuff. The current lot just hide.

• Like 1

I just don't think there is any real ambition there tbh.

Arsenal are a massive club and I'd think Mr Kroenke is still making a tidy sum out of them despite the fact they are decidedly mediocre these days.

Not wanting to deal in broad brush strokes, but I believe that's the mindset of most American owners in the PL, certainly the top clubs.

FSG (Liverpool owners) struck gold with Klopp, but I honestly don't buy for one minute there was some masterplan to win leagues and Europeam trophies. They just wanted someone who could get them top 4 and be semi-competetive; it just turned out he was better than that.

It's no coincidence the American owners were the driving force behind the Super League in England. Perfect set up for them when you think about it: a franchise system, no relegation  and you make a fortune regardless of where you finish.

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Gparrish said:

Not exactly realistic with the squad they have in my opinion.

Arteta has had a large input on that squad and the abject style. 

It's not unreasonable for arsenal to expect to be newr the top 4,and if they aren't within 5 points or so by Xmas Arteta should be sacked imo. 

He flatters to deceive and I just don't get what he's trying to do there

26 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

It's not unreasonable for arsenal to expect to be newr the top 4,and if they aren't within 5 points or so by Xmas Arteta should be sacked imo. 

Arteta has done nothing to suggest he is capable but to get that squad to top 4 would be some achievement.

They are miles behind City, Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea and are also inferior to Spurs and Leicester and not notably better than the likes of West Ham. 

Can't say I feel for them, hounded Wenger out and gone downhill ever since.  

Arsenal are currently 5th in overall expenditure this year, as well as 5th in net spend with more of the window still to go.

Over the past 5 years they are 4th overall in both categories. The 3 above them are the Manchester clubs and Chelsea. Spurs 8th, Liverpool 10th and Leicester 14th in net spend.

They should well expect to be pushing for 4th, nevermind Europa League.

Hilariously, when Dem Blayads were in the Prem they had the 11th highest net spend, but obviously didn't spend any money. AND YOU ARENT ALLOWED TO SAY OTHERWISE.

:Chansiri:

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Arteta has done nothing to suggest he is capable but to get that squad to top 4 would be some achievement.

They are miles behind City, Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea and are also inferior to Spurs and Leicester and not notably better than the likes of West Ham. 

Can't say I feel for them, hounded Wenger out and gone downhill ever since.  

Yep. 

He's had more then enough time, and has had money, not sure how the identifying and buying is done and how much input he has, but either way he's not covering himself in glory as a manager 

10 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Yep. 

He's had more then enough time, and has had money, not sure how the identifying and buying is done and how much input he has, but either way he's not covering himself in glory as a manager 

I don't think Arsenal's net spend under Arteta can compare with the top 4 or 5 but even so there have been some questionable decisions that he has to have been part of.

Take the keeper situation. It was a straight choice between Leno and Martinez. They chose Leno, Martinez was among the best PL keepers last season and played a big part in Argentina winning their first Copa America in decades. Now they are trying to replace Leno with a keeper who has back-to-back relegations to his name.

48 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Arsenal are currently 5th in overall expenditure this year, as well as 5th in net spend with more of the window still to go.

Over the past 5 years they are 4th overall in both categories. The 3 above them are the Manchester clubs and Chelsea. Spurs 8th, Liverpool 10th and Leicester 14th in net spend.

They should well expect to be pushing for 4th, nevermind Europa League.

Hilariously, when Dem Blayads were in the Prem they had the 11th highest net spend, but obviously didn't spend any money. AND YOU ARENT ALLOWED TO SAY OTHERWISE.

:Chansiri:

I suppose net spend comes down in part to how well you sell. Arsenal have not sold at the right time or had players to sell at optimal value. Contrast that with Liverpool who sold one player for £130M a few season ago and he has done nothing since - great timing for them.

Not sure the managers can be held totally responsible for their transfer failings either, given how badly it has gone for them under a couple of managers. 

Everyone who has ever watched them can see they have been crying out for some steel in defence and midfield for years and they go and spend a big part of the budget on sideshow bob at the back, a good footballer on his day but the absolute opposite of the gritty type they need. 

13 hours ago, fudge27 said:

I fully agree with you on Arteta, I think he's pretty lucky to have got the job in the first place and he's lucky to still be in the job.

13 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I don't think Arsenal's net spend under Arteta can compare with the top 4 or 5 but even so there have been some questionable decisions that he has to have been part of.

Take the keeper situation. It was a straight choice between Leno and Martinez. They chose Leno, Martinez was among the best PL keepers last season and played a big part in Argentina winning their first Copa America in decades. Now they are trying to replace Leno with a keeper who has back-to-back relegations to his name.

The GK situation, 

The fact that their best players are not progressing, their main man is shunted to the wing, they are still soft as poo and still as Xhaka and Elney in the squad, Willian, Luiz and Ben White all questionable at best signings 

13 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I suppose net spend comes down in part to how well you sell. Arsenal have not sold at the right time or had players to sell at optimal value. Contrast that with Liverpool who sold one player for £130M a few season ago and he has done nothing since - great timing for them.

Not sure the managers can be held totally responsible for their transfer failings either, given how badly it has gone for them under a couple of managers. 

Everyone who has ever watched them can see they have been crying out for some steel in defence and midfield for years and they go and spend a big part of the budget on sideshow bob at the back, a good footballer on his day but the absolute opposite of the gritty type they need. 

They've still spent big money on average players, like a much richer version of ourselves.

I don't really know if Arteta is a decent manager or not, and not sure if he's involved with the transfers, but whoever is they've spent top 4 money and their squad looks barely top 6.

Whoever their decision makers are, they need new ones.