Arsenal

16 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

They’ve needed a centre back and centre mid for about 15 years.

Neglect it every window. It’s quite staggering. Awful recruitment. 

Top class centre backs are highly sought after, Arsenal can’t pull a player like that. They wouldn’t be able to pull a Varane, for example, and it’s been like that for years there. Failed to replace Mertesacker or Vermalen. They’ve brought in rob holding, Gabriel, luiz, white - all poo . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Top class centre backs are highly sought after, Arsenal can’t pull a player like that. They wouldn’t be able to pull a Varane, for example, and it’s been like that for years there. Failed to replace Mertesacker or Vermalen. They’ve brought in rob holding, Gabriel, luiz, white - all poo . 

I quite like White but £50m! 

Upamecano went for around £38m, Vestegaard for about £15m!

Honestly the transfers for years have been beyond crazy.

As said they're transfer strategy is either but unknown French teenager in the hope he turns into Vieira/Henry or buy ageing has beens in mega bucks. 

The times they break that, Pepe, Lacazette, Auba, Ozil

It works briefly then fades. 

Said it at the time and it hindsight its a huge mistake imo. When wenger went they should have broke their necks to get simeone in, who was unsettled in Madrid around that time if I recall? They won't be a force for at least another 10 years, no direction, no clue at board level and the cost taken to get back into top 4 consistently is getting bigger and bigger 

Agreed

Was about to post something similar but to elaborate a bit the problem with Arsenal is they just don't have any kind of plan - just throw money around and hope something works

I think they need to go back to basics and stop trying to un earth the next gem - stop fannying around with ludicrous ideas like buying Ramsdale - they've et better keepers than him walk away - there are keepers out there who could tide them over for a season or 2 - similar with a decent time-served but not spectacular CB - like  Jonny Evans or even a Craig Cathcart of a couple of years ago

Lay some solid foundations and start to rebuild

Ironically the basis of their invincible side was generated from that kind of model - Winterburn pretty cheap from Wimbledon, Dixon/Bould from Stoke...interspersed with some bigger signings that this foundation allowed like Seaman and Keown

It was much more evolution than revolution even when Wenger took over from Rioch - then when they became so successful they began to splash out a bit but still were prudent compared to the other clubs around them - Cole and Fabregas through the ranks, Anelka pretty much unknown - but again sprinkled among players like Overmars and Bergkamp

I cannot fathom what they are trying to do - it's like fantasy football with the 2nd tier of signings

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

I don’t know all to do with recruitment really. They’ve not once found a really solid centre back - don’t have to spend huge money on one of them. 

For example I think Vestegaard who has just signed for Leicester would have been a better signing than Ben White. Why did they not look at him? Over the years clubs like Southampton and Leicester have found gems in Van Dijk and Maguire and sold for huge profits. 

They just consistently sign poo . For a club of their size they should really be more prudent and savvy in the transfer window. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scram said:

Ironically the basis of their invincible side was generated from that kind of model - Winterburn pretty cheap from Wimbledon, Dixon/Bould from Stoke...interspersed with some bigger signings that this foundation allowed like Seaman and Keown

I get your point, but I don’t remember Winterburn, Dixon, Bould or Seaman being in their Invincibles team.

16 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

I get your point, but I don’t remember Winterburn, Dixon, Bould or Seaman being in their Invincibles team.

Ironically the basis of their invincible side was generated from that kind of model 

4 hours ago, Birstall Owl said:

They lack leaders, there's nothing there.

When your best player is a 21 year old (Smith-Rowe) with less that 25 PL appearances you know you're in trouble. he'll be gone to a bigger club before you know it

Smith-Rowe was outstanding. Looks a real talent.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, flo said:

Sort of gets to the point where you actually want them to do well for a change. 

Same

Their side from 99-2005 was favourite from the PL era, absolutely loved watching them

Wenger did an unbelievable job of balancing the finances when moving into the Emirates, but since then they’ve slowly slipped year on year. It must be frustrating for their fans to see them now as 4th in London’s pecking order

8 minutes ago, Django said:

Same

Their side from 99-2005 was favourite from the PL era, absolutely loved watching them

Wenger did an unbelievable job of balancing the finances when moving into the Emirates, but since then they’ve slowly slipped year on year. It must be frustrating for their fans to see them now as 4th in London’s pecking order

I lived with an Arsenal fan at uni during 2003-2006, and he used to moan non-stop about how they weren't as good as they used to be; they'd never win the Champions League; Wenger needed to go etc...

I dread to think how negative he is about it all now.

9 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I lived with an Arsenal fan at uni during 2003-2006, and he used to moan non-stop about how they weren't as good as they used to be; they'd never win the Champions League; Wenger needed to go etc...

I dread to think how negative he is about it all now.

It must have been frustrating though seeing those players leave one by one only to have inferior players brought in every time. We had it (on a smaller scale) in the 90’s, Booth for Bright, Andy Pearce for Pearson, Nolan for Worthingron,  Atherton for Nillsen etc hard to stomach when you’re witnessing your club in reverse