Dominic Iorfa

Signing a new deal doesn’t mean we will never sell him, it just means the club hold a stronger hand. These are the sort of things we need to start mentioning in contract talks. 

It’s about time we started to act more like a business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichSheffWeds said:

I really hope we can get him to sign an extension. 

Someone well connected told me yesterday that he’s unlikely to be willing to extend. Hope that’s wrong. 

If he stays fit he would be crazy to sign an extension as we all know he will get snapped up by a Championship club at the end of the season and his ability to get big wages as a free agent and with no transfer fee to pay will be much enhanced. 

We have to pray his injury means he is willing to take the security of a 2-3 year deal with us rather than taking a chance on another nasty injury screwing the free agent option. 

If he won't commit to an extension any sensible club would sell hm for the best price they can get. Offering him a new contract now might mean he is sold before the window closes.

Like everyone else I hope he extends but I don't want him leaving on a free.

6 minutes ago, prowl said:

If he won't commit to an extension any sensible club would sell hm for the best price they can get. Offering him a new contract now might mean he is sold before the window closes.

Like everyone else I hope he extends but I don't want him leaving on a free.

Why would we sell him if he won’t extend.. the sensible thing to do this season is to go for promotion and then make him a new offer next summer when we’re a Championship club which he might be more inclined to sign.

Obviously happy days if he does sign regardless. But buying clubs know that we’re in league 1, they know he has a year left and they know he’s coming back from injury.. so any bids are likely to be low ball offers rather than the £3m or so he’s actually worth as a top Championship centre back.

If all we’d get offered is £500k to £1m, which is likely, I’d rather we took the risk that he leaves on a free and keep him to try and get promoted. That way best case scenario is we go up and he resigns and we have a £3m asset, worst case scenario is we lose out on the low

fee. It’s worth the gamble

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Why would we sell him if he won’t extend.. the sensible thing to do this season is to go for promotion and then make him a new offer next summer when we’re a Championship club which he might be more inclined to sign.

Obviously happy days if he does sign regardless. But buying clubs know that we’re in league 1, they know he has a year left and they know he’s coming back from injury.. so any bids are likely to be low ball offers rather than the £3m or so he’s actually worth as a top Championship centre back.

If all we’d get offered is £500k to £1m, which is likely, I’d rather we took the risk that he leaves on a free and keep him to try and get promoted. That way best case scenario is we go up and he resigns and we have a £3m asset, worst case scenario is we lose out on the low

fee. It’s worth the gamble

Inevitable that we’d turn down 1 million and he’d get the same injury again 😂

I think this will make our summer transfer window a 10/10.

Iorfa will undoubtedly be a key player for us this season and it’s about time we transferred our own players to other clubs. 

Football is a funny business.  You can offer any player any a,ount, but it still rests with the player. He's the one whoputs pen to paper  Not signing a new contract that you've been offered is, to me, sying 'Either I get more money or I go.' The club can only go to a certain limit. It may be the sky, but it still depends on the player.

In the 'old days' of Transfer Lists etc, and even now, I have been of the opinion that if, after negotiation, the player still shows a desire to move, put him up for sale, but also do not consider him as part of the actual side, and don'y play him.