Our incomings compared to our rivals

Darren Moore has worked wonders in the transfer market, bringing in a nice mix of youth with lots of potential and players with vast championship experience. But how do we compare to our competitors? 

BOLTON WANDERERS 

IN: Dapo Afolayan (West Ham, free), Josh Sheehan (Newport, free), George Johnston (Feyenoord, undisclosed), Declan John (Swansea, free), Will Aimson (Plymouth, free), Amadou Bakayoko (Coventry, free), Joel Dixon (Barrow, free), Xavier Amaechi (Hamburg, loan), Elias Kachunga (Sheff Weds, free).

IPSWICH TOWN 

IN: Wes Burns (Fleetwood, undisc), Lee Evans (Wigan, free), Rekeem Harper (West Brom, undisc), Macauley Bonne (QPR, loan), Vaclav Hladky (Salford, undisc), Matt Penney (Sheff Weds, free), Joe Pigott (AFC Wimbledon, free), Scott Fraser (MK Dons, undisc), George Edmundson (Rangers, undisc), Conor Chaplin (Barnsley, undisc), Louie Barry (Aston Villa, loan), Sone Aluko (Reading, free), Kyle Edwards (West Brom, free), Hayden Coulson (Middlesbrough, loan).

PORTSMOUTH 

IN: Gavin Bazunu (Man City, loan), Liam Vincent (Bromley, undisc), Clark Robertson (Rotherham, free), Ryan Tunnicliffe (Luton, free), Shaun Williams (Millwall, free), Kieron Freeman (Swansea, free), Jayden Reid (Birmingham, free), Gassan Ahadme (Norwich, loan), George Hirst (Leicester, loan), Connor Ogilvie (Gillingham, free), Joe Morrell (Luton, undisc).

ROTHERHAM UNITED 

IN: Shane Ferguson (Millwall, free), Hakeem Odoffin (Hamilton, undisc), Rarmani Edmonds-Green (Huddersfield, loan), Ollie Rathbone (Rochdale, free).

SUNDERLAND 

IN: Alex Pritchard (Huddersfield, free), Callum Doyle (Man City, loan), Corry Evans (Blackburn, free).

WIGAN ATHLETIC 

IN: Jordan Cousins (Stoke, free), Tom Naylor (Portsmouth, free), Gwion Edwards (Ipswich, free), Max Power (Sunderland, free), Jack Whatmough (Portsmouth, free), Ben Amos (Charlton, free), Charlie Wyke (Sunderland, free), Stephen Humphrys (Rochdale, undisc), Jordan Jones (Rangers, undisc), Kell Watts (Newcastle, loan).

WYCOMBE WANDERERS 

IN: Josh Scowen (Sunderland, free), Sullay Kaikai (Blackpool, free), Adam Przybek (Ipswich, free), Olly Pendlebury (Reading, free), Sam Vokes (Stoke, undisc), Jack Wakely (Chelsea, free), Tyla Dickinson (QPR, free), Max Ram (Nottm Forest, free), Tjay de Barr (Lincoln Red Imps).

Where do you think the standout signings are, and what time do you think has done the best business? 

Here's the link to the full list of ins and outs for all League One clubs:

Link

Just now, lanzaroteowl said:

Sunderland 

Only added 3 to an already decent squad.

A lot less upheaval and have hit the ground running 

Not sure their fans agree. A failing team that has lost it's top players from last year and replaced them with little. Sunderland fan I know is preparing for this to be their worst year at this level. We will see though, they should be in and around it but the manager is what will let them down. 

• Like 1

It's not just about bringing in players, context is needed. How do they fit in to the style of play? Are they leaders? Troublemakers? How quickly do they become a cohesive unit? Fees? Pressure to perform?

Be a couple of months before we start to see who has done well and who hasn't. With our recruitment I've been impressed that we look like we have a plan with a style of play and we have bought sensibly without spending much. But again, some of who we have brought in I'd never heard of before, so we will find out if they are decent or not.

Also get the feeling they are signings that Moore wants, which is a big positive.

But how many of our rivals only had 11 players to start with, Ipswich have a very good youth system that produces a lot of good players and those that don't make it are often sold for good money. 

Sunderland have just been bought our by a very rich chairman and in the next few weeks you will see an influx of signings.

Rotherham are the classic yo yo team too good for league one not good enough for the championship they have not lost many players and kept their goal threats in Smith and Ladapo.

I think our business has been a 7 out of 10 a lot better than I though it would be, but we now seem to be falling into the Gary Monk school of recruitment not signing the players we need and bring in too many similar midfielders. We have 7 debutants on Saturday that is too many these players need to hit the ground running from game 1 not game 11. 

We are missing goals from up front and a decent left footed left back. Palmer is more than capable at left back as he has showed for the last 2 years, but a left footer would give us better balance in the team. For me instead of the money spent on Johnson and Byers wages I would have looked to bring in a striker such as Forss on loan from Brentford. He would have been that 20 goals a season man in league one. It will be interest to see how much Byers actually plays if Bannan is not to be sold.

• Like 2

It will be interesting to see how the league settles down, I would certainly look at our squad with a certain amount of envy if I was another club, as I suppose our fans covet some signings made by others. 

Wycombe may be dark horses, were competitive last season towards the end in the Championship and if they get Cosgrove, have made two decent signings up front in Vokes and Cosgrove for L1. 

I don't think we go into any game as underdogs, we're capable of beating anyone in this league, down to what we do in terms of finding a cutting edge and consistency...both of which have been lacking for several seasons and will not be rectified overnight. If we can stay in touch, expect us to have a strong second half of the season, once we get into our stride.

• Like 1

Haven't Sunderland sold their top two goal scorers from last year. Ipswich have made some good signing but it looks like their highly rated player Downes is off to Swansea. 

Can't help Derby have missed a trick by not signing Max Ram from Forest.

We've made decent signing to complement a good L1 squad. Think BPF will be the biggest factor this year. Whatever happens I can't see one club running away with it and we may get to the last 5 games with 7/8 in with a shout of top 2. 

Ipswich’s attacking recruitment has been excellent! Pigott, Chaplin, Burns, Bonne & Fraser are all top acquisitions. But I mentioned in a thread the other day their defence still looks average. 

Sunderland’s recruitment has been abysmal. Lost Scowen, Power, Maguire, Wyke & Sanderson who were all first team players that saw them finish in the play offs and haven’t really replaced any. 

I genuinely think Rotherham are going under the radar. Have a very similar team to what won promotion and are only making necessary signings. They’re my dark horse this season.

• Like 1

Just reading back through my initial post and just trying to see how many players other teams have signed that have the experience and pedigree to have done it at the higher level. 

We've brought in Hunt, Johnson, Byers, Wing, Gregory. Adeniran and Brown have too but far less exposure to championship level. 

Other teams that I can notice have; Kachunga (Bolton), Chaplin, Aluko (Ipswich), Freeman, Morrell (Pompey), Vokes, (Wycombe). Now many of those get in our side, or would have Championship interest? 

Think Ipswich are looking massive favourites this season but only time will tell. 

the 3 Sunderland have bought in are all quality but they have also lost players. Lost Wyke could end up being worse than last season, been linked with Jebbison on loan from blades who looks promising young player. 

Rotherham will be up there for sure squad has been there and done that. 

going to be super competitive league this year for sure! 

TBF we released about 13 players, I doubt any of these other clubs did. We had to recruit heavily. Nevertheless we have done exceptionally well.

I suppose if you compared the players we let go to what other clubs let go,  we have lost a lot more quality players compared to them.

Early days yet but having watched the highlights of league 1 

Wycombe and Rotherham look very good and we need to sign some goalscorers or we are going to be midtable at best 

We are no where near a top 6 team yet imo

You can sign the best players but if you have a manager those players want to play for you are in with a shout. Us, Pompey and Ipswich have that and I expect us three to be up there. Not sure about Sunderland who look weaker than last year. 

Depends who gets some momentum, because all four have good support that will respond if they have a team on the pitch