Premier League 21/22

10 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Chelsea starting to annoy me with all their signings now. I know they’ve been like that for years, but I never noticed it as much as Man City 

They were the originals.

It's just that Chelsea were a bit of a glamour club pre-Roman. They had signed some big foreign names - Gullit, Desailly, Zola etc., so people sort of just accepted it. They were also half decent in the league and a good cup side.

City have always been viewed as the paupers who won the lottery, hence the greater resentment.

The fact is the only way City could ever compete was with that sort of takeover. Perhaps it's become a bit too much in recent years, but then I don't really have much issue with them upsetting the established top clubs. They're all as bad as each other.

Chelsea are my favourite squad in the league, certainly as far as the front runners are concerned. 

Think they've made some shrewd signings with the younger players they've brought in and they have a decent nucleus of good young English talent. 

Obviously they've spent money and got involved in this summers silly spending with £100m on Lukaku, but I feel like this current Chelsea team are a bit more of an evolution of a plan, vs City's spending which has been a bit more like cherrypicking more established talent. 

9 hours ago, SiJ said:

They were the originals.

It's just that Chelsea were a bit of a glamour club pre-Roman. They had signed some big foreign names - Gullit, Desailly, Zola etc., so people sort of just accepted it. They were also half decent in the league and a good cup side.

City have always been viewed as the paupers who won the lottery, hence the greater resentment.

The fact is the only way City could ever compete was with that sort of takeover. Perhaps it's become a bit too much in recent years, but then I don't really have much issue with them upsetting the established top clubs. They're all as bad as each other.

If Wednesday were in the premier league, those two clubs buying their success (I’m of an age when I recall the three of us battling for promotion, and other times when we were significantly better than either) would probably annoy me.

As it is, I quite like the fact they have put Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal’s noses out of joint. 

6 hours ago, 0wl18 said:

Chelsea are in a net profit in the window. Let that sink in. They might spend a fortune but, they’re probably the best club in the world at selling their deadwood at the right time.

They're recruitment is generally very good, certainly in the last several years.

I see Havertz slowly but surely getting better and I imagine he will one of the top players in the league in the next few seasons.

The squad is excellent atm, perhaps!the strongest in the league at present. Very close between them and City right now, but I suspect this will be Chelsea's season.

They do this every few years where it all clicks and they win the title and so forth. The problem is about 6 to 12 months after the players have turned on the manager, downed tools and he's out of a job.

The short term approach works for them though.

On 01/09/2021 at 11:29, SiJ said:

They were the originals.

Chelsea won the lottery twice really with Matthew Harding then Abramovich

Sounds like a bad injury for Harvey Elliott...poor lad was just about to be subbed off

3 minutes ago, WatfordOwl said:

Comes in from behind, don't think it was deliberate but still a dangerous challenge - mainly cos he's over the top of the ball. 

Cheers, yes I agree it's wreckless. Dunno what Neville was on about, I think he leans towards Liverpool a bit in his commentary as he doesn't want to appear anti-Liverpool