Premier League 21/22

39 minutes ago, Night King said:

They’ve spent 100 million on someone who arguably doesn’t improve their starting 11. 

It’s 1 performance but it didn’t look like they needed him. I’m sure he’ll come good once settled and he knows his teammates better, I’m a huge fan 

Edited by FreshOwl

On 14/08/2021 at 18:12, 442 said:

Been to old Trafford today, first game back since we played Leeds away Christ knows how long ago. Had a lump in my throat walking up the stairs in to the stand.

Leeds getting battered helped.

Why did you choose that over Hillsborough?

1 hour ago, Night King said:

They’ve spent 100 million on someone who arguably doesn’t improve their starting 11. 

Agree with this,  I know they are after Kane, but I feel Lukaku would have been a better signing for Man City’s money in terms of what they need.  Also looking at Grealish stats from last season they weren’t actually that impressive.  I do actually hope he goes on to excel at Man City tho. I feel the PL title race will be the most interesting it’s been for a while this season 

• Like 1

On 13/08/2021 at 22:25, TheEnchanter said:

Arsenal are and have been crap but I think they've still won a couple of FA cups, had some decent runs in Europe and consistently finished top 8. The way they go on, their own fans and others, it's like they've lost every game they've ever played. One of the most annoying fan bases. 

Much as it pains me to say it i think Chelsea are looking formidable

10 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

I can’t see how Grealish fits into this city team, yet. Early impressions give me the thought of too many cooks 

Absolutely. A complete much of muchness. He doesn’t improve them at all and him and Sterling were almost playing in the same position on the left in the first half. Bizarre.

I can’t believe Pep’s first signing this summer wasn’t a striker. No way they can win the league without one again. 

At present, I think he takes far too many touches to really compliment this side. 

You would back Pep to sort that out though, but it may take a season.

Tbf, Bernardo wants out, do they'll be down to only 50 creative midfielders. 

Said to my brother-in-law yesterday, I think whilst Pep is excellent, I think he's overrated.

Won 2 CLs at Barcelona with arguably the best teams ever - Mourinho has won the same with Porto and Inter. Ancelotti and Zindane both won 3.

Think he gets an easier ride than most because he plays a nice style of football and he's likeable. Should have wiped the floor with Chelsea in the CL final last year but didn't show up.

6 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Said to my brother-in-law yesterday, I think whilst Pep is excellent, I think he's overrated.

Won 2 CLs at Barcelona with arguably the best teams ever - Mourinho has won the same with Porto and Inter. Ancelotti and Zindane both won 3.

Think he gets an easier ride than most because he plays a nice style of football and he's likeable. Should have wiped the floor with Chelsea in the CL final last year but didn't show up.

Now you’ve gone and done it...

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Honestly I agree.

Not winning the CL with Bayern is a massive question mark for his career so far, especially given that they did actually win it either side of his tenure there (and are front runners for the competition every year almost by default). Ultimately he's at City to get them over the line in Europe as well and so far he hasn't done it. Although a different challenge to winning it with Barca and Bayern, they're now the most expensively assembled team in the history of English football and are far enough along in their "project" that they should be expecting to win it.

• Like 1

Just the two Champions Leagues (a knockout competition) and multiple league and domestic honours. But yes, massively overrated.

I don't even know why these clubs bother with him tbh. I mean, surely anyone could do what he does, right? 

1 hour ago, CalmJimmers said:

The best managers get to manage the best teams. No one was saying this when they steamrolled the title previously, he was labelled a magician. Most people in the game consider him the best in the world, that can’t be a coincidence. The same happened with Klopp last year after a bad season, people immediately turned on him but he’s one of the best too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Just the two Champions Leagues (a knockout competition) and multiple league and domestic honours. But yes, massively overrated.

I don't even know why these clubs bother with him tbh. I mean, surely anyone could do what he does, right? 

That's not really what's been said, is it. 

Not just "anyone" can win domestic honours with any club, no, but surely that's what you push the boat out for to bring in and expensively back Pep to do? To take you well above and beyond what "just anyone" might otherwise do. A lot of other managers can and would still win leagues and cups with Bayern and City, but they brought Pep in to do more than that.

He's not won the CL in 10 years now, despite being signed by 2 clubs wanting him to deliver exactly that. At Bayern he literally inherited a European Champion team won by his immediate predecessor, and then they did it again a couple of years after he left. The challenge is slightly different at City, but apart from PSG no other club in Europe has received the aggressive backing and push for that competition that he has. This is his 6th season at City now - what's the grade on his City stint if we get to the end of May and he's "only" sat on 3 league titles and 0 CL's? Is that what they brought him in for?

• Like 1

He's won it twice already.

The Barca team was perhaps the greatest club side ever. Maybe, just maybe, he may have had something to do with that? 

And yes, they clearly want to win the Champions League, but we are talking about a knockout competition. For years, Chelsea tried and failed to win the thing and then a caretaker in Di Matteo did it for them. Avram Grant got the closest before then.

Fergie won it twice, once in the last few seconds and the other on pens. 

It's not all about luck, but there is always going to be a degree of fortune in such a competition.

• Like 1

I wasn't trying to turn this into is Pep good or not. He obviously is, look at the trophies he's won and the success he's had.

What I'm saying is people think he's the best manager ever seen, deffo in the Premier League. In his Barca side he inherited a team that had 4 of the best players to ever play the game - Messi, Iniesta, Xavi and Puyol, maybe even more you could add to that list. Won two CLs, none with anybody else.

Fergie reinvented sides, won 2 CLs, dominated domestically and turned Man Utd fully around. For me Pep is yet to prove himself as good in the PL, and I personally don't think he's as good as Ancelotti, Fergie, and probably around the same as Mourinho, might have an argument for Jupp Heynckes, Trapattoni, Lippi, Ottmar Hitzfeld.

Could surpass all of them, he's still young, bit he's still yet to find that next level, imo.