Premier League 21/22

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I think Norwich signed pretty well in the summer to be fair.

Spent decent amounts on Sarjent, Tzolis and Rashica.

Gilmour and Williams from Chelsea and Man Utd respectively are good loan signings for any bottom half prem club. 

Personally think Farke has had his time there. He’s been there a while, must be coming to a natural end soon.

No, they didn't.

Sarjnet cost 9.5 million, Tzolis undisclosed and Raachia was up to 15 million. These are all young lads, new to this country with zero PL experience.

Williams is nothing special and Gilmour isn't good enough to keep that team up.

Farke just got them promoted and  had his best player sold. If it is coming to a natural end, then that's because he hasn't got the tools available to compete.

• Like 1

Now, if you signed those lads and kept Buendia, you might have a chance.

As it is, they've sold off their best player and hoped a bunch of kids will be good enough to stay in the PL.

Unsurprisingly, they're getting wholloped at the moment.

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

No, they didn't.

Sarjnet cost 9.5 million, Tzolis undisclosed and Raachia was up to 15 million. These are all young lads, new to this country with zero PL experience.

Williams is nothing special and Gilmour isn't good enough to keep that team up.

Farke just got them promoted and  had his best player sold. If it is coming to a natural end, then that's because he hasn't got the tools available to compete.

I mean how many teams struggle to stay in the Premier League despite spending money? Fulham, West Brom, Sheffield United, Watford.

Its not easy to stay up. They were never going to keep hold of Godfrey (who will get England call ups) and Maddison. Villa came in with a very generous bid for Buendia - not surprised they cashed in. 

Alright saying they should chuck money at it. Just like Fulham did (keep getting relegated) or they could spend £40m on a striker like Newcastle did and still be fecking useless.

32 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I mean how many teams struggle to stay in the Premier League despite spending money? Fulham, West Brom, Sheffield United, Watford.

Its not easy to stay up. They were never going to keep hold of Godfrey (who will get England call ups) and Maddison. Villa came in with a very generous bid for Buendia - not surprised they cashed in. 

Alright saying they should chuck money at it. Just like Fulham did (keep getting relegated) or they could spend £40m on a striker like Newcastle did and still be fecking useless.

Where did I say they need to just chuck money at it? 

They sold their best player and haven't replaced him with anyone near his quality level/experience.

That 30 million won't seem quite so generous when they miss out on 200 million next season.

What Norwich did this summer would be the equivalent of Brentford flogging Toney and replacing him two to three young lads from abroad.

By selling Beundia they removed their main creative outlet and also a goal threat too.

The three lads who came in might prove to be very good players, but for the here and now they are probably not what Norwich required.

31 minutes ago, scram said:

Literally nobody has said they should just chuck money at it

There is an ocean of difference between that and playing in the premier with a weaker team than they had in the championship

How on gods earth is it a weaker team than what they had last season?!

Its stronger. They’ve lost one player and replaced him with 5 or 6 players to make the squad stronger.

22 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Where did I say they need to just chuck money at it? 

They sold their best player and haven't replaced him with anyone near his quality level/experience.

That 30 million won't seem quite so generous when they miss out on 200 million next season.

Because Buendia and Godfrey kept them up last time? 

I think they’ve signed some decent talent.  If they go down they’ll bounce back again.

And I love how everyone has already decided their relegated 4 games into the season.

lol

10 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

How on gods earth is it a weaker team than what they had last season?!

Its stronger. They’ve lost one player and replaced him with 5 or 6 players to make the squad stronger.

They've lost their best player and brought in some squad players

The team is weaker 

They're not even competitive

Just now, scram said:

They've lost their best player and brought in some squad players

The team is weaker 

They're not even competitive

Disagree.

Kabak - was playing for Liverpool last season. Gilmour - very very good young player, they rate him hugely at Chelsea. Rashica has always looked a handful from what I’ve seen. 

Their best player managed 1 goal in 36 games last time in the Premier League. To get a deal which could rise to £40m is impressive. Nobody knew who Buendia was when Norwich signed him. Who’s to say one of the lads they’ve signed won’t go on to be a similar influence for them? 

41 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Disagree.

Kabak - was playing for Liverpool last season. Gilmour - very very good young player, they rate him hugely at Chelsea. Rashica has always looked a handful from what I’ve seen. 

Their best player managed 1 goal in 36 games last time in the Premier League. To get a deal which could rise to £40m is impressive. Nobody knew who Buendia was when Norwich signed him. Who’s to say one of the lads they’ve signed won’t go on to be a similar influence for them? 

Looking at their team for me, they have problems at both ends of the field. Krul used to be decent but I think his time in the top level is over. They signed that Gunn but dunno how good he is tbh.

Then up top they're still playing Pukki who is 31 now. Idah and Sargent I think are rated highly but again, no idea if that'll transfer to goals at the top level.

Defence (Kabak, Aarons, Gibson) are OKish, midfield (Cantwell, Gilmour) are OK. Very thin squad though.

I'd predict that to finish bottom three, and I'll predict them to finish bottom of the pile IMO.

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Disagree.

You keep quoting the Buendia stat as if it's some sort of proof - the way more pertinent proof is that he has gone to an ambitious PL club and commanded a hefty fee.  Because he's an excellent player. 

More than his goals he was a vocal point which much of their play revolved around - which was spotted by Villa. 

Yes,  the season is young but the signs are extremely concerning for Norwich already

They are not just unable to score it create anything - they are not even competitive in the games 

They just got thrashed at home by Watford and Liverpool B

This is not the Norwich of either 2 seasons ago or even more worryingly,  last season.

There comes a point when there has to be at least some progress, surely

1 hour ago, scram said:

You keep quoting the Buendia stat as if it's some sort of proof - the way more pertinent proof is that he has gone to an ambitious PL club and commanded a hefty fee.  Because he's an excellent player. 

More than his goals he was a vocal point which much of their play revolved around - which was spotted by Villa. 

Yes,  the season is young but the signs are extremely concerning for Norwich already

They are not just unable to score it create anything - they are not even competitive in the games 

They just got thrashed at home by Watford and Liverpool B

This is not the Norwich of either 2 seasons ago or even more worryingly,  last season.

There comes a point when there has to be at least some progress, surely

Do you think Buendia would have kept them up? He didn’t last time. And I highly doubt he would have done this time if he stayed.

It’s alright saying they should spend more to compete. But they’ve got to sign the right type of player. So many clubs have gone up and tried to throw money at it in a desperate attempt to stay up, and it’s made not one bit of difference. 

They’ve strengthened their defence, midfield and signed a few attacking players to replace Buendia - whether they’ll have the same influence remains to be seen. But to say the SQUAD is weaker than the one they had in the Championship last season is absolutely ridiculous.

Of course i'm not saying in isolation Buendia would have kept them up - but he should be part of the bedrock of a team that they then strengthen

And lets drop the strawman of "throw money at it" - again, nobody is saying that and again, there is a vast difference between throwing money at it and doing the opposite

And another strawman is this squad thing - it's the strength of their strongest team that is the key issue and as a team that is not going to be blessed with star players for every position with back-ups not far behind - then they have to be judicious about making sure the 11 they put on the pitch each weak is the strongest they can get within the bounds of their resources

Look at at team like Watford for eg - they have some very good key players like Sarr - they have some time served but unspectacular players like Cleverley and Cathcart - and they are able to compete. But lose 2-3 players from that starting 11 and the strength diminishes rapidly - because they have focused primarily on having a team to win points - rather than a squad that gets schooled no matter which of their mediocre players is in it

The Norwich squad is poor by PL standards - their team is shaping up to be one of the very weakest - and they have form in this area

This is what - their 3rd time in the PL in the last handful of seasons?

With their financial prudence, player sales, the PL money and parachute money i'm fairly sure they could be giving it much more of a go without threatening the clubs existence