Premier League 21/22

I don't think he's been given enough of a chance in the PL tbh

The side he last had in the PL may be competitive now - but players were sold

Replacements either haven't been forthcoming or not really the type of player to bolster a PL survival challenge

I mean, this season so far is Chris Wilder level of total shyte

It must be completely demoralising for the fans to not even be able to compete with the likes of Watford - and getting schooled by Liverpool reserves

1 hour ago, scram said:

The novelty must be wearing off for Norwich fans - surely they'd be better off getting to the play-off final and losing on pens in a thriller now

I think we can all understand they don't wanna bankrupt the club again - but to start a PL season with a weaker side than they had in the champs?

They're not even making a token effort - surely it's not beyond them to be able to compete with Burnley and Watford

Must be so frustrating being a fan, knowing your fate is almost settled before kicking a ball lol 

As a business they’re superbly run but it’s not like they’re completely tight with their cash, they spent £30m this summer. Maybe they’re not making the right signings 

Guest Mcguigan
11 hours ago, markg said:

Brighton doing very well.

Said it last season and I still believe it, Graham Potter is the best manager outside of the 'top 4'. I think he's outstanding. 

Lets not over do it. Potter has had a 15th and 16th place finish in his two seasons as a PL manager and their opening five fixtures have been very favourable to them. They don't even play one of top 4 till late October.

Mid way through last season Brighton fans were calling for his head.

I'd take Benitez, Rodgers, Moyes, Bielsa, Espirito Santo and possibly even Hasenhuttl before Potter.

13 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

Lets not over do it. Potter has had a 15th and 16th place finish in his two seasons as a PL manager and their opening five fixtures have been very favourable to them. They don't even play one of top 4 till late October.

I'd take Benitez, Rodgers, Moyes, Bielsa, Espirito Santo and possibly even Hasenhuttl before Potter.

I was possibly overdoing it slightly looking at the likes of Rodgers, Bielsa etc, fair point.

I just think that it can be a hard job to change how a team players in a short space of time whilst maintaining their premier league status. They had a lot of issues last season in finishing off changes, but their general play was good, even when they were near the bottom. I never thought that they were going to go down. 

I don't think that he has spent a fortune, and even when they lose against the big teams, they always seem to put up a fight. He just comes across to me as a manager that could step into a bigger job and do well. He also did a fantastic job in Sweden. 

6 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

It happens a lot. An English manager hits a bit of a purple patch in the premier league and all of a sudden he’s the second coming of Pep 

Probs why Wilders ego is so big he can’t seem to take a championship job, we’ll that’s how it appears anyway 

2 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Probs why Wilders ego is so big he can’t seem to take a championship job, we’ll that’s how it appears anyway

.He was desperate for the Forest job at the bottom of the championship by all accounts. They didn't want him. He's burned plenty of bridges

4 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

.He was desperate for the Forest job at the bottom of the championship by all accounts. They didn't want him. He's burned plenty of bridges

Ooh that’s quite splendid to here. What have other clubs got wind of, the circumstances behind him leaving the pigs? Didn’t pay much attention to it at the time 

Norwich got promoted and the first thing they did was flog their best player for 30 million.

Nice profit on a player but you can sense the novelty of being a yoyo club is wearing thin with their fans. They got booed off on Saturday.

I'd assume all this prudence is to ensure the clubs long term health and not in part so certain higher ups can make a few quid too. By my reckoning they've in recent times sold the likes of Maddison, Godfrey and now Beundia for about 90 or so million? How much of that has gone back into the transfer kitty? I'm guessing a fraction of it.

Edited by SiJ

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Norwich got promoted and the first thing they did was flog their best player for 30 million.

Nice profit on a player but you can sense the novelty of being a yoyo club is wearing thin with their fans. They got booed off on Saturday.

I'd assume all this prudence is to ensure the clubs long term health and not in part so certain higher ups can make a few quid too. By my reckoning they've in recent times sold the likes of Maddison, Godfrey and now Beundia for about 90 or so million? How much of that has gone back into the transfer kitty? I'm guessing a fraction of it.

some fans seem to take too much pride in that the club is run as a normal business, others see through that. at the end of the day we live in hope that we will eventually/one day see the club win something. 

4 hours ago, SiJ said:

Exactly that

It's one thing to be prudent and not over reach and threaten a clubs existence - but to enter a PL season with a worse team that got promoted?

And i imagine the booing was out of frustration that they're not even trying

That's why i sad they'd be better off getting the the play-off final and losing on lens after a thriller - then go again in the champs rather than an absolutely wretched season in the PL

It's one thing to be in a relegation fight but quite another to not be able to compete with any other team

Guest Mcguigan
17 hours ago, scram said:

Exactly that

It's one thing to be prudent and not over reach and threaten a clubs existence - but to enter a PL season with a worse team that got promoted?

And i imagine the booing was out of frustration that they're not even trying

That's why i sad they'd be better off getting the the play-off final and losing on lens after a thriller - then go again in the champs rather than an absolutely wretched season in the PL

It's one thing to be in a relegation fight but quite another to not be able to compete with any other team

I doubt any Norwich fan would prefer that scenario though.

Of course they would - as would most fans

Rather than a wretched season where scoring a goal is unlikely and getting a victory is unheard of

Sure, for a season the novelty and the understanding of what it takes to compete in the PL will be enough to keep fans onside

But not every time they get promoted - and having to play in the PL with an inferior team to the one they had in the champs?

I know many fans would much prefer a successful season and a great day out rather than the utterly depressing season they are having now

12 hours ago, scram said:

I know many fans would much prefer a successful season and a great day out rather than the utterly depressing season they are having now

For me it comes down to that increasingly relevant question about what fans actually want, compared to what they think they want or the football world expects fans to appreciate.

Who is enjoying their season more this year? Norwich fans, or Forest Green Rovers? Just as an example. Or Wigan or Sunderland (wish I could use us in this example but.. alas). Sustainability is great, but I don't believe fans really care about balance sheets. They just want to enjoy their football. You could argue that Norwich enjoying every other year of football is more than many fans get, but clearly some are now questioning if that's worth it to get humped every week in between. Perhaps they've reached a point where even strolling through The Championship is now tainted by that overhanging expectation than they're in for a hiding once they get back, and that's the trend they've set. 

Thing is, if you end up getting battered every week and then relegated, it kind of renders the previous season/promotion almost obsolete. This is particularly the case if you've been going up and down for a few seasons. 

The feel good factor is wiped out.

We are getting into this situation now where we have a cluster of clubs who are too good for the Champ and not good enough for the PL - West Brom, Fulham and Norwich.

In saying that, it looks like Brentford will be ok and Watford might have a shot of staying up too. However, those two could quite easily end up joining that group of yoyo teams.

Regarding relegation, the interesting one is Wolves. Struggling under the new manager and really struggling for goals too. All their momentum has shuddered to a complete halt and they're going backwards at a pretty quick rate.

Edited by SiJ

On 22/09/2021 at 17:55, SiJ said:

I think Norwich signed pretty well in the summer to be fair.

Spent decent amounts on Sarjent, Tzolis and Rashica.

Gilmour and Williams from Chelsea and Man Utd respectively are good loan signings for any bottom half prem club. 

Personally think Farke has had his time there. He’s been there a while, must be coming to a natural end soon.

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I think Norwich signed pretty well in the summer to be fair.

Spent decent amounts on Sarjent, Tzolis and Rashica.

Gilmour and Williams from Chelsea and Man Utd respectively are good loan signings for any bottom half prem club. 

Personally think Farke has had his time there. He’s been there a while, must be coming to a natural end soon.

I dunno really - they've net spent £30mish this preseason, but I can't really say I've heard of any of them, and Buendia seems to be a big loss.

They've still got a 90 year old Tim Krul in net too which doesn't help. I think at the very least they haven't improved massively if at all from last season, which probably points to one conclusion for the season.

33 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

I dunno really - they've net spent £30mish this preseason, but I can't really say I've heard of any of them, and Buendia seems to be a big loss.

They've still got a 90 year old Tim Krul in net too which doesn't help. I think at the very least they haven't improved massively if at all from last season, which probably points to one conclusion for the season.

They certainly have a better squad now than last season in my opinion.

Rashica was a good player in Germany. Sarjent quite highly thought of over there too. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, scram said:

Buendia is better than all their signings put together - and he made them tick

This is a wretched team that looks so far out of its depth

After their first few games it's hard to argue against that mate.

Against Watford they looked out of their depth, and they've both just been promoted.