OFFICIAL - LEWIS GIBSON SIGNS for SWFC

52 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Not happy about the loan deal. That means 1 of them will never be in the squad 

The 'loan deal' is largely due to the constraints placed on us in the Transfe Market by the EFL

25 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I think our squad rebuild looks done. I like Sims and he would’ve been on my shopping list but surely any more incomings are based on a first team player leaving on a permanent or on loan, ie, Pato or Green? I do think Sims is in Moore’s thoughts tho. 

But, this has been a fantastic rebuild. Given our dysfunctional regime over the last 4 years or so, who would’ve thought we would bring in 12 players before the first game? Some of those are championship players too. 

I agree but I also don’t think we can turn down Sims on a free if it’s doable 

the resale is potential to be big as is the contribution 

I also thing wingers are often changed in games 

and with injuries and suspensions it’s not just who starts 

Sims would arguably be in for a starting role on the right hand side with corbeanu so I think it’s a possibility 

The thing that stands out for me with these loans is where they were last season.

I mean Gibson was in the championship with Reading.

Wing with Rotherham in the Championship.

Shodipo had success at this level with Oxford last season and you would’ve expected him to stay at QPR or have a Loan move at another championship club?

I think there is an element of these 3 and Kamberi potentially being long term additions if things work out?

FWIW I think there has been a lot of thought gone into every acquisition this summer where in recent summers there has been a cobbled together sort of strategy? 

The one particular difference this summer to recent summers has been Darren Moore. It may not work out this season the way we all want but I think he’s shown enough with this recruitment policy alone that we and the Chairman should back him for at least 2 or 3 seasons. I think we’ll all benefit big time if we do?

• Like 3

Bags of promise as an I17 World Cup winner but interesting that he wasn’t first choice during his loans spells with Fleetwood & Reading. Suspect he’s only cover for us if 2 of Dunkley, Iorfa and Hutch are out. In which case why not give Brennan the opportunity ? 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jim said:

FWIW I think there has been a lot of thought gone into every acquisition this summer where in recent summers there has been a cobbled together sort of strategy? 

The one particular difference this summer to recent summers has been Darren Moore.

Definitely, and I doubt that it’s just been over the summer as well, I wouldn’t be surprised if Moore and his team were planning some of these transfers well before last season ended too. Feels like a step in the right direction, that’s for sure.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Bags of promise as an I17 World Cup winner but interesting that he wasn’t first choice during his loans spells with Fleetwood & Reading. Suspect he’s only cover for us if 2 of Dunkley, Iorfa and Hutch are out. In which case why not give Brennan the opportunity ? 

Gibson is left footed and can play left back so gives us more cover for that position too.  Reading were in the playoff mix last season so Gibson couldn’t get into that team very much but dropping into league 1 this season should be okay for him.  It’s a very good signing 

• Like 2

tenor.gif  I can't take all these positive waves!  crazy-owl-head.gif  

tenor.gif?resize=300,236&ssl=1 

"The trouble with "lessons from history" is that we usually read them best after falling flat on our chins."   

"Girls are simply wonderful. Just to stand on a corner and watch them go past is delightful. They don't walk. At least not what we do when we walk. I don't know how to describe it, but it's much more complex and utterly delightful. They don't move just their feet; everything moves and in different directions . . . and all of it graceful."  Starship Troopers, Amen!        

1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Not happy about the loan deal. That means 1 of them will never be in the squad 

Don't worry. We've got a season worth of injuries ahead of us as usual

4 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Gibson is left footed and can play left back so gives us more cover for that position too.  Reading were in the playoff mix last season so Gibson couldn’t get into that team very much but dropping into league 1 this season should be okay for him.  It’s a very good signing 

All fair points Southie but I’m not commenting on his ability I’m questioning the value of a sixth loan signing as 4th choice CB and potentially 3rd choice LB. A lot of posters have (rightly in my opinion) questioned the development of our academy players. This signing hampers players like Galvin and Brennan. However, if those two aren’t good enough to be fourth & third choice in League One then I’d question why they’re even here. If we were bringing Gibson in as first choice to improve the first team I would see it differently. Could end up like that ginger lad we loaned last season. Complete waste of time and money ( which we don’t have )

34 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

I think we will see him play quite a bit either on the left hand side if we pick up an injury 

part of a back three 

or at left back 

Im backing him to make at least 25 starts