He really talks the talk

Guest Grandad

Watching the rugby last week and they brought out a great quote about South African rugby. 

If plan A doesn't work, they do it again... But better. That's plan b-z for them which is why they're so good. 

Different sports, but elite level the mindset is the same 

3 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

As long as the Plan A is a good one I don't mind him being all Plan A (although I did think we beat Barnsley last year playing with Plan B).

Man City are all Plan A and it doesn't do them much harm until you get right down to the final stages of the Champions League.

So true about Guardiola and his philosophy. Won’t compromise. I’m also happy with plan A. Better than Joss and Monk who had no plan whatsoever and Pulis who’s cunning plan hasn’t worked since the OO’s. 

Two things.

I don't get why someone saying they'd take mid table is seen as being so controversial. Yes we've had a good window so far but we haven't actually played a league game yet.

As for no plan B, Moore has played with a back 3 and a back 4. We've had two up front at times and one at times. So that one seems to be a bit of a non starter.

• Like 3

He’s extremely likeable. He does remind me a bit of Brian Laws actually in that you can tell there is genuine sincerity when he talks about the club, and that he genuinely wants to do the best for the club with the (limited) resources he’s got. 

Moore didn’t win me over 100% last season on the pitch even in spite of everything else that was going on, but it’s a clean slate now and he’s earned the right with what is very much his team now.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Two things.

I don't get why someone saying they'd take mid table is seen as being so controversial. Yes we've had a good window so far but we haven't actually played a league game yet.

As for no plan B, Moore has played with a back 3 and a back 4. We've had two up front at times and one at times. So that one seems to be a bit of a non starter.

I agree. He did constantly change playing systems between March 3rd and the season’s end. After we were being told by DRFC supporters he stuck to one system, he did show several different approaches including trying a wing back system with three at the back.

I actually thought he changed things too frequently and it must have been difficult for the players.

To have a brand new team made up of players the manager has brought in is a pretty unusual advantage and given the great number, I think it is reasonable to expect better than mid table.

9 minutes ago, victorturner said:

I agree. He did constantly change playing systems between March 3rd and the season’s end. After we were being told by DRFC supporters he stuck to one system, he did show several different approaches including trying a wing back system with three at the back.

I actually thought he changed things too frequently and it must have been difficult for the players.

To have a brand new team made up of players the manager has brought in is a pretty unusual advantage and given the great number, I think it is reasonable to expect better than mid table.

But you could argue it's a lot to expect it to all gel together straight away, we aren't the most patient fanbase and if we don't start well I can see a lot of people getting on the players backs.

If we start well then anything is possible but I wouldn't necessarily expect a promotion push, as good as some of the signings we have made are. It takes a lot to change the culture of a football club and I think if we were to go up it's an overachievement. 

• Like 1

I think the first couple of months are going to be difficult as the team finds it's feet both in this league and with each other, but I do see us getting stronger throughout the season (injuries permitting).

Whether or not we will end strongly enough to finish in the promotion shake up is anyone's guess, but a top 10 finish would be a solid start to what is a very new way of doing things at S6.

Guest LondonOwl313
18 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

But you could argue it's a lot to expect it to all gel together straight away, we aren't the most patient fanbase and if we don't start well I can see a lot of people getting on the players backs.

If we start well then anything is possible but I wouldn't necessarily expect a promotion push, as good as some of the signings we have made are. It takes a lot to change the culture of a football club and I think if we were to go up it's an overachievement. 

We must have one of, if not the highest wage bill, in the league.. so whilst I don’t expect us to walk it, I think given the way Chansiri has backed the manager he has a right to expect a top 6 finish if not better. I didn’t think he was going to back a full rebuild of the squad but he has, so that’s changed expectations.

We have lots of players on expensive  championship wages and even some of the  new signings won’t be cheap wages wise. Half this division is made up of tiny clubs with wage bills which will be 20% of what ours is. So we have to be doing well once everyone settles in.

Also with the way football has gone, there’s so much money difference between the leagues that it promotes yo-yoing and relegated sides have an advantage. West Brom, Fulham and Utd are favourites for promotion.. in this league last season Hull went  

straight back up. I know Sunderland and Bolton and Ipswich have struggled but they didn’t have a good squad and no rich owners backing them straight after relegation.

We’ve kept most of our best players, only really lost Reach and Rhodes who were any good (plus Westwood but BPF will hopefully be an adequate replacement). We got 48 points last season in the league above.. and we’ve ditched Harris who shanked every attack in to the kop and Dawson/Wildsmith who gave our opponents a goal head start every other game. That has to be worth at least 10 points.

At Championship level this squad would probably be light on goals to get near the top end but it’s a solid 55-60 points a season type squad. So at league 1 level, we should be aiming for 75 points and the play offs.. if not the autos if we get a good start

Let’s not forgot that for a small minority of fans, Wednesday doing well doesn’t fit the agenda. I’m desperate for us to get back up first time of asking, and Moore has built a decent squad here. Playoffs minimum. Get to Christmas there or there abouts and throw the kitchen sink at it. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Grandad said:Ive seen a few WBA fans say he was all Plan A - and if that wasn't working he didnt have something to fall back on - and that may be true as we haven't really seen enough of him to know any different. But given his performance last night, I'm fully behind him and really hope he can succeed with us this season.

Hes done incredibly well in a transfer window where hes been limited to freebies and loans. He did point to the standard in Div One being higher than its ever been - and that might hamper any chances we have of challenging next year. Personally I'd be absolutely delighted with mid-table - given the absolute mess we were just a few short weeks ago.

It’s weird how fans think managers can’t learn, change or adapt. He’s got 3 more years experience as a manager since WBA and has clearly developed, like we all do in our day jobs with experience. Last season he played a completely diff style than his Plan A against Barnsley, for example, because he knew they played a suicidal high line and we could get in behind. Likewise Donny fans told us he could only play 4-2-3-1 but he’s gone with numerous styles and formations with us. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

We must have one of, if not the highest wage bill, in the league.. so whilst I don’t expect us to walk it, I think given the way Chansiri has backed the manager he has a right to expect a top 6 finish if not better. I didn’t think he was going to back a full rebuild of the squad but he has, so that’s changed expectations.

We have lots of players on expensive  championship wages and even some of the  new signings won’t be cheap wages wise. Half this division is made up of tiny clubs with wage bills which will be 20% of what ours is. So we have to be doing well once everyone settles in.

Also with the way football has gone, there’s so much money difference between the leagues that it promotes yo-yoing and relegated sides have an advantage. West Brom, Fulham and Utd are favourites for promotion.. in this league last season Hull went  

straight back up. I know Sunderland and Bolton and Ipswich have struggled but they didn’t have a good squad and no rich owners backing them straight after relegation.

We’ve kept most of our best players, only really lost Reach and Rhodes who were any good (plus Westwood but BPF will hopefully be an adequate replacement). We got 48 points last season in the league above.. and we’ve ditched Harris who shanked every attack in to the kop and Dawson/Wildsmith who gave our opponents a goal head start every other game. That has to be worth at least 10 points.

At Championship level this squad would probably be light on goals to get near the top end but it’s a solid 55-60 points a season type squad. So at league 1 level, we should be aiming for 75 points and the play offs.. if not the autos if we get a good start

Still a lot of variables in play, we need everything to click together for us to be in the mix.

I like Moore, I think he's done well with the players he's brought in but it'll still take time to gel. We've got a tough start, Charlton, Rotherham and Sunderland all in the first 6 games is difficult. We have to be patient as a fanbase.

Think it's a bit unfair to say the division is made up of a lot of "tiny clubs", the whole big club thing hasn't exactly done us much good in the past. There are a lot of decent clubs at this level who are well run and will look at a trip to Hillsborough as a game they can go and attack, we have to be mindful of that. Sunderland have struggled to make the Stadium Of Light a fortress in this division, we need to avoid making Hillsborough that kind of place to play.

Personally I think it'll be a season we grow into, wouldn't be surprised to see us be around mid table and have a run at it late on.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, EcclesallOwl said:

With regards to a plan B

What a tremendous interview, full of insight, perspective and common sense. The whole 'no plan B' thing is usually just one of those cliches that fans throw around mindlessly (like 'lost the dressing room') when things aren't going well to give the false impression that they have some kind of solution to improve things. Martin is right - this 'genius' usually represents little more than hopefully lumping the ball into the box. 

I have absolutely no idea what to expect from this squad as it's almost entirely different from last season's and there are also 23 other teams that I have little interest in all aiming for the same objectives. Sharpening the knives for the manager before we've even kicked off the first match is absolute nonsense and is another demonstration of the petulance of the modern football fan.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fpowl said:

To be happy with mid table shows a complete lack of ambition you can tell by the players that have come in and people like bannan staying we have better aspirations than that top two must be the ambitions and the satisfactory level playoffs anything else is a failure in my eyes agree with rest I think we’ve got a great man in charge now 

Any one who supports Sheffield Wednesday shows a complete lack of ambition.  I know that for a fact, I've been supporting them for over sixty years.

• Like 1