Jump to content

LA in January


Recommended Posts

Got a big birthday coming up next year and tempted (covid permitting) to go all in and go to LA for a week or so. 
 

My question: will it be quite subdued after Xmas? And in terms of weather will it be too chilly to enjoy the best of what the city has to offer? 
 

Any advice welcome. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I go a lot with work and certainly try and go every January as a break from the Colorado cold. It’s one of my favorite times to be there.

 

Temps should be very pleasant. 60’s or 70’s. The water though will be chilly. You probably won’t want to swim in the ocean, but you’ll certainly see people bobbing about or surfing (mostly with wet suits on).

 

I have a suspicion that Covid will be impacting travel for a while yet. I wouldn’t book for a while.

 

Don’t forget that *some* trans-Atlantic travel is allowed. Planes are (and will be) still flying. So you may only be given vouchers (rather than a cash refund) if Covid means you are prohibited from traveling.

 

 

Edited by Neal M

The owls are not what they seem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Neal M said:

I go a lot with work and certainly try and go every January as a break from the Colorado cold. It’s one of my favorite times to be there.

 

Temps should be very pleasant. 60’s or 70’s. The water though will be chilly. You probably won’t want to swim in the ocean, but you’ll certainly see people bobbing about or surfing (mostly with wet suits on).

 

I have a suspicion that Covid will be impacting travel for a while yet. I wouldn’t book for a while.

 

Don’t forget that *some* trans-Atlantic travel is allowed. Planes are (and will be) still flying. So you may only be given vouchers (rather than a cash refund) if Covid means you are prohibited from traveling.

 

 

Thank you Neal, I’m pleased January isn’t a naff time to visit. And that was my mentality too- a nice break from the cold! 
 

Im actually currently based in Denmark and would be flying with SAS, who I believe have quite lenient refund/flight change policies. I will certainly leave it until late autumn before considering booking anything. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/08/2021 at 16:50, owls maniac said:

Absolutely. Was considering going up the Pacific highway to San Fran for a weekend whilst there. 

Great drive. 2 things:

 

1. Check the road is fully open, floods and erosion happen and they might be under re construction. Last time we did it we were re routed literally 100's of miles on back roads.

 

2 If you have the time stay and visit Carmel and Monterey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/08/2021 at 02:05, edmontonowl said:

Would it be chilly in SF in Jan?

 

 

Was in LA in Jan '91. Locals were wearing winter gloves, coats and hats. I was in a t-shirt and shorts.

It was 17C, sunny and clearlol

I think SF is very median temperature all year round, hence its popular with tramps/bums as they wont freeze to death on the street.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest T Hardy

If you’ve got the funds and time I’d recommend going LA, SF and Vegas. 2/3 nights in each is enough.

 

Having said that, there’s no guarantee the US are going to let us in by January, we’re still banned and there’s no positive news on that at all 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, T Hardy said:

If you’ve got the funds and time I’d recommend going LA, SF and Vegas. 2/3 nights in each is enough.

 

Having said that, there’s no guarantee the US are going to let us in by January, we’re still banned and there’s no positive news on that at all 

 

We did that over Xmas one year and tied NY onto the end for new years eve.

 

Think we did longer in each though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, owls maniac said:

Oh dear, why so bad? 
 

Ive been to SF and LV before and loved both, San Fran in particular. 

It's very dirty generally, and trafficageddon. 

 

Beverly hills was really fancy but that aside its not a particularly nice place, recall syringes on muscle beach and loads of homeless people on the promenades when I was there. Went once, and wouldn't return, much better places in USA. I 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, fudge27 said:

It's very dirty generally, and trafficageddon. 

 

Beverly hills was really fancy but that aside its not a particularly nice place, recall syringes on muscle beach and loads of homeless people on the promenades when I was there. Went once, and wouldn't return, much better places in USA. I 

Appreciate your honesty. I’m starting to think the south of Spain may be a more cost effective option and probably just as mild weather wise in January. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...