“Relegation Candidates”

Its all getting a bit bipolar on here again. I wouldn't say our recruitment has been superb or brilliant, we just don't know at this stage. The signs are good yes but without a decent number 9 we could be upper mid table.

A few of us said on here months ago that we would recruit in numbers and challenge top 10 and we got pelters. We were always going to have a big turn around of players this summer and we were always going to attract better players than most other teams in this league despite the incompetence at the top and the wages issue.

The key now is the manager, can he create a team that gets us winning on a regular basis? I think the good will towards him will make some difference but its all down to big DM now. 

Look at our history, especially since 2000. Those who believe we will go straight back up are dreaming. The most likely scenario, either this season or next, is we will be relegated again. Yes, we have never been in the 4th tier but it will be a real battle. So our key challenge this coming season is to avoid relegation. In this respect, the article is accurate. 

1 minute ago, Aingarth said:

Look at our history, especially since 2000. Those who believe we will go straight back up are dreaming. The most likely scenario, either this season or next, is we will be relegated again. Yes, we have never been in the 4th tier but it will be a real battle. So our key challenge this coming season is to avoid relegation. In this respect, the article is accurate. 

11 hours ago, Markowski77 said:

Signings underwhelming wtf!!!!!

Shodipo - L1 team of the year last year 

Hunt - experienced championship RB

Wing - Almost single handidly kept toy town up 

BPF - Young GK with prem experience 

DA - Stand out player for Wycombe 

Theo Corbenu - highly rated youngster who wolves fans want in and around their first team 

Kamberi - Champions league experience 

add this to Dom Iorfa , who is back from injury and a fit Sammy 

Im not been stupid am I? In think we have a great shot at Auto’s/Playoffs

I can’t wait for this season, we have a better squad than last year 

Agree although I’d argue the two Chsmpions League matches I attended as a supporter might give me more experience than Kamberi lol

4 minutes ago, Aingarth said:

Despite all the crap that has happened since 2000 and in recent times, we have never been relegated to the fourth tier. 

Some of our fans are just f*cking weird. 

• Like 3

I'm not getting carried away as many of the new signings are very inexperienced. In my lifetime we have been in the 3rd division on 3 occasions and each time, we struggled initially before rebuilding and  gaining promotion. I expect we'll be top 10 with an attempt at the top 6.

Can't see us going down.

We struggled initially under Megson, until he cleared the dead wood out.

Moore's had the opportunity to do that before we kick a ball in the Third.

People say we're bobbar, but we're in a bobbar league so I can't see us finishing below half-way.

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

How can you be so sure? 

I'm also note sure I completely buy the last sentence tbh.

I can’t be certain of how we’ll do - none of us are.

But let’s be real, of the players we’ve signed this summer, 99% of our fanbase have never heard of any of them before these last few weeks.  So there’s very little to get excited about there, if we’re honest.

Just saying that I broadly agree with a football journalist’s summation of our current situation.

What is it that you don’t buy?  As a season ticket holder of many years, I’m desperate for this club to start to dig itself out of this spiral of mismanagement we’re caught in.  Why would you imply different?

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

I mean a few weeks ago you were telling us that promotion was gone if Bannan was sold.

I think the lady doth protest a bit too much.

The comment in the Bannan thread was tonge-in-cheek.  I’m not expecting a serious promotion challenge this season, with or without BB.

I don’t think we’ll be back in the Championship until Chansiri sells the club to someone who knows what they’re doing.  Let’s hope I’m talking sh*t...

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Aingarth said:

Oh dear.

6 hours ago, Daavies; said:

I think the season will be very difficult and quite frankly, I would take a quiet season finishing comfortably mid table right now. We have more than enough quality to worry about relegation though, I'm not having that at all. Getting this many players in will always take time to gel and get right. I think we will end the season strongly but might have it tough for the first couple of months. 

I do hope no-one at the club is thinking like this. The longer we stay in League One the harder it will become to bounce back and the financial realities of being in that division will settle in. While we still have the opportunity to sign players like Wing, Hunt and Marvin Johnson who would normally be in the Championship we have to try and bounce back. This season is our big chance and I hope we don't blow it. Comfortably mid table would be a big disappointment for the squad we have.

Work with a Sunderland fan. 

He seems to think they'll romp the league and that we are in for a shock and will struggle. 

Hope we are under estimated and we have shades of the Megson team when we get fans from the teams we beat coming on saying how we bullied them and our team was full of cvnts 

The expectation from the manager and players should be to win the league, failing that finish as high as possible.

last year was a car crash but without a points deduction we would have been safe. The core of the team remains and we’ve added further experience from the league above coupled with some younger attacking players.

Given the way they were playing Reach, Harris, Pelupessy etc we are stronger now in my opinion.

Amazing what a few wins will do to both the players and the fans confidence should we get off to a decent start.

I expect us to be challenging and I think we’ll surprise a few people this season 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

I can’t be certain of how we’ll do - none of us are.

But let’s be real, of the players we’ve signed this summer, 99% of our fanbase have never heard of any of them before these last few weeks.  So there’s very little to get excited about there, if we’re honest.

Just saying that I broadly agree with a football journalist’s summation of our current situation.

Did you really expect us to sign "names" this summer? 

We are in League One and I doubt that most of us could name most of the top performers in that division last season. Would you have been creaming yourself over signing saying Charlie Wyke or Max Power? 

I've heard of Hunt, Peacock Farrell and Wing. We are linked with Marvin Johnson too. 

Yes, the rest are unknowns, but that doesn't automatically make them bad players. I doubt you will have heard of all of the Ipswich signings too.

I'm not saying we are going to romp the division and I'd be pleasantly surprised if we mount a sustained challenge for the top 6. 

But surely there is more than enough there to suggest we can do more than just stop up? 

Edited by SiJ