“Relegation Candidates”

Ridiculous conclusion to make. For example, Ipswich have made as many signings as we have, but we have Bannan, Luongo in midfield, Hutch and Iorfa at the back and in theory, Windass & Patto upfront. All 6 are regarded as stellar championship players, who have been together for some time. So…to say Ipswich are promotion contenders and we are relegation candidates is laughable.

Rotherham will be a challenge. We’ve signed their best player.

Wycombe will compete, we signed one of their central midfielders from last season.

Sunderland will be up there, but have lost their 30 goal man.

We will be an unknown quantity for the first few games. I am confident a strong team will emerge thereafter and we will be in the top six from October/November onwards.

Ben fishing! 🎣

I would have agreed with him at the end of last season, I could see us falling straight through the trap door into league 2. But, I have been bitten by the optimism that the new signings have brought, which let’s be honest, have some decent pedigree. 

Now I think, a strong top half finish as a minimum. Hopefully a lot better. 

Guest mrbluesky
1 hour ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Can't find much to disagree with.  Many of our signings are unknowns and we've no idea how or if they will gel.

This,I get the optimism of new signings, but some of these players will struggle, added to this the squad looks a bit threadbare, if we don’t hit the ground running we could very well findi ourselves at the wrong end of the table.

My hope of hopes is that it all clicks, but the time spent together has been limited.

As last season came to a close and faced the inevitable I wasn't too worried regarding facing the task this season. OK we had two prommising keepers who had been destroyed confidence wise by the debacle of chop and change. Had we settled for a single understudy to Westwood and the opposite gone out on loan we may, I stress may, have had a keeper up to the task and a saleable asset who would have left alongside Westwood. As it was all three were undermined at various stages and similarly all three became dumpster material.

The deffence was mistake ridden due in no small part to the loss of Dominic Iorfa and the loss of form of both Lees and Borner. It seemed to matter little wether we went 5 at the back or 5 across the middle. Mistakes were cumulative, costly and in the main late in the game.

Midfield and up top we made little progress through the middle or out wide. Set pieces were predictable and easily read due in most part to Barry Bannan being given most of the responsibility and consequently our threat was predictable. Even when we deployed wing backs or a five across the middle crossing was a lost art and what decent crosses came in were usually in front of our lagging strike force.

On the field and off we failed to meet the prospect of relegation. But, today we have a different story. It seems we have made a start on repairing the dammage. Particularly at the back where a fit squad at this level should be chasing clean sheets well into the high teens. On the players we have brought in, I am too long in the tooth to expect that all will be firing though we live in hope. Some may fall by the wayside but a decent start should see no shortage of suiters come the January window.

All in all we have a right to expect to be there or there abouts. We finally have a manager who is proactive and refuses to let the world pass him by. If things are going wrong he will shuffle the pack. To the players I say give it your all and the fans will give you all the support you need. WAWAW      

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

I'm not expecting us to romp to promotion or anything like that, but that is a ridiculous preduction.

I'm thinking the closest thing we have to a bit of a natural goalscorer is Windass, but of course he's injured. 

That said if we can consolidate inside the top 10 in the run up to Christmas, Luongo & iorfa getting fully match fit as they missed so much football last season  and Windass coming in, it may be an exiting second half to the campaign. Barring too much bad luck and injuries I do think we can be in or around the top six come May. 

1 hour ago, Pieman said:

Ridiculous conclusion to make. For example, Ipswich have made as many signings as we have, but we have Bannan, Luongo in midfield, Hutch and Iorfa at the back and in theory, Windass & Patto upfront. All 6 are regarded as stellar championship players, who have been together for some time. So…to say Ipswich are promotion contenders and we are relegation candidates is laughable.

Rotherham will be a challenge. We’ve signed their best player.

Wycombe will compete, we signed one of their central midfielders from last season.

Sunderland will be up there, but have lost their 30 goal man.

We will be an unknown quantity for the first few games. I am confident a strong team will emerge thereafter and we will be in the top six from October/November onwards.

Stellar championship players 😂

We still need another striker to back up the new lad, Florian or whatever his name is, but in my opinion we are much better equipped to deal with this division than we have been for the championship, over the last 4 or 5 seasons. OK, we managed to get into the play offs in CCs last full season, but the whole ethos of that elderly, highly paid squad, feels very different to this one. I reckon we will get better and stronger as the season goes on and our players gel. There is no way that this squad, as it is now, along with the manager that we have now, is going to get relegated. I do not think we should be favourites for promotion, but I will be having a bet on us getting promoted for the first season in a long, long time. The mood in the camp is very positive and DM is the right man for the job we need to do. I reckon more attacking quality is on it's way and Windass will be an asset when he is ready to come back and fight for his place. The defence looks very solid, but I also expect to see a centre half come in, maybe for cover, but hopefully as a first team player. 

Looking forward to seeing us fighting at the top end of the table this season. 

UTO!

• Like 1

At the end of last season, when half the squad was released, it did look dire, but the recruitment has been good, even if it hasn't brought in that elusive goal scoring machine

I imagine the author just looked at who came in, thought "never heard of them" and decided they must be poor as no one decent would want to come to Wednesday at the moment.

I don't think we are relegation candidates atm. If we did get the points deduction possibly but just now without a good striker at least one coming in we are not going to have a great season. Mid table to lower mid as it stands..... 

The squad had to be fees and loans....

Our long experience of loans has been rubbish. Don't come good or not till end of the season. Chansiri entirely to blame for this because of his running of the club causing the embargo.....

I really hope we do incredibly well. But I think a lot on hear are going to get a shock.....

What is this buffoon on about!! All players are underwhelming until they are overwhelming. All players are unknown until they become well known!! The mans a fool. Out recruitment looks pretty solid - yes we’ve a couple of unknowns (to us) but I go back to what I said they’ll certainly be well known soon. Good luck to all of ‘em, Looking forward to Saturday.

UTO

5 hours ago, yeadonowl said:

What an absolute load of rubbish

International goalkeeper 

Championship defence

Arguably the best midfield in the division

Strikers are unknown I’ll admit but we are nowhere near relegation candidates 

Championship defence? It's a defence pretty much the same as last year. A defence that finished bottom of the league 

• Like 2

I think the season will be very difficult and quite frankly, I would take a quiet season finishing comfortably mid table right now. We have more than enough quality to worry about relegation though, I'm not having that at all. Getting this many players in will always take time to gel and get right. I think we will end the season strongly but might have it tough for the first couple of months. 

• Like 1