So how is everyone feeling ?

4 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

I almost hate myself saying this.

but I said the same when Alan Irvine did our rebuild post relegation last time. We have signed a lot of players, and have retained Bannan, iorfa, Paterson etc. I absolutely hate to say this but we look ‘ heavy’ on our expense line again.  I have a very , very horrible feeling we have overcooked financially.

This has crossed my mind that we might be gambling on going up first time.
I am more optimistic than I was a few weeks ago but even in best of seasons every club his a bit of a bad patch and think that time will be the test. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Yes, but then we were signing the likes of Clinton Morrison and Gary Teale on what I imagine was some pretty high wages. 

This time, we are signing mainly younger players and loans. Fingers crossed, it should be ok. 

Further on this, I doubt Iorfa is on all that much tbh. I mean we signed him as a reserve from Wolves a few years back, so I doubt he was on the megabucks. 

Would agree that Bazza and Callum are probably on a bit too much for this level, but hopefully that has all been taken into account. 

We have pretty much ditched all the big earners now, so you would like to think the clubs finances are a bit better. 

Time will tell. 

I don't think our signings look 'heavy' at all. Reminds me more of the Chris Turner/Sturrock league one rebuild. 

Reading fans forums of other league one teams we're mentioned as favourites for promotion a fair bit, not just based on coming down. 

It looks like quite a competitive league, but we've got a competitive squad. Let's see how we go.

Excited. 

If we have a miracle and everything clicks there's a case for automatic promotion.

However...

I honestly remember what it's like at this level. Some tough games. Teams that want to take your scalp. Pressure and expectation. We have a largely new team and may take time. I would accept top 6 come May. There is a scenario in my head where we do an Ipswich and miss out though. 

Edited by TheEnchanter
  • Like 1

Pleasantly surprised by recruitment up to now but we still need a left sided centre back and another striker. Yesterday showed that one makeshift centre forward battling three centre backs gets us nowhere. Kamberi and Corbeanu go some way to solving this but proper centre forward still needed. Difficult to find I know but these last two signing are unknown quantities. Can another be unearthed?

Optimistic for sure but we have to give the team time as well. Not expecting us to get into the flow of things until 1-2 months into the season. There’s been a lot of upheaval and nee arrivals so it’s gonna take time. 

• Like 1

i know little of league 1, i know even less  of the new signings except hunt and the goalie  so i cant  predict how we'll do .......i just hope that moore can get the players to give there all and be competitive . if they do i'll be happy . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mozzy85 said:

Optimistic for sure but we have to give the team time as well. Not expecting us to get into the flow of things until 1-2 months into the season. There’s been a lot of upheaval and nee arrivals so it’s gonna take time. 

Yep. 

Based off what I saw yesterday, it might take us a few weeks to get into our stride. 

You can see what we  are trying to do, but we've got an awful lot of new players to incorporate. 

I think it's going to take time. 

I'm a lot more optimistic and looking forward to the future of the club for the first time in years, since the back to back play off years. It's been grim ever since on and off the field, the recruitment this time looks smart, I like the look of lot of our new players. I ain't getting carried away, as this level can be a slog and the League looks arguably more competitive than our previous stints at this level. No idea how we will fare but considering the mess on and off the pitch we were in the past few seasons, it's nice to have an optimistic forward thinking feeling back. In my opinion the best signing we have made in a long time could end up being Darren Moore's appointment. 

• Like 1

Just now, SiJ said:

Yep. 

Based off what I saw yesterday, it might take us a few weeks to get into our stride. 

You can see what we  are trying to do, but we've got an awful lot of new players to incorporate. 

I think it's going to take time. 

To be honest as long as things improve on and off the pitch and we at the very least flirt with the playoffs I’d be happy. 

We’ve not got out of this league on the first try the last two times so not expecting it this season either. But we’ve made positive strides so I’m pretty happy. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

I'm not getting carried away. Every time we've dropped to the 3rd division we have really struggled to regroup before rebuilding successfully. I think we'll be top ten and nowhere near auto promotion. 

Really fair appraisal bearing in mind our past and the struggles faced by the likes of Sunderland & Ipswich. Tbh I’d be happy with top ten if it means we’ve stabilised on and off the field and we can see a clear way forward. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I’m the most optimistic that I’ve been for a long time. I think Moore has done a great job. He released a load, sold Borner and he’s been wheeling and dealing in frees and loans. We’ve brought some championship players in and also some young prospects. We need another 4 in but I trust him to get those deals done.

It will take a bit of time for the team to gel and settle down but I am confident we should be in or around the top 6. Getting the front 3 working and productive will be key to our success this year and we still need to bring in at least a couple in these areas. 

• Like 1

The mood changed the day we signed Peacock-Farrell and Wing. Personally I think it’s 50/50 how the season will go

as I expect some departures still. I’ll be amazed if Bannan’s still here come September 1st? I could see Luongo going as well TBH as it was a surprise that he was on the bench yesterday.

• Like 1