Jump to content

Guardian article


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Of course it is. Without doubt, he has made mistakes and will make mistakes this year. But he has brought a sense of positivity and is also trying to build a squad in the right way - young, competitive, fit and seemingly, pretty attack orientated. Yes, it’s a results orientated business. No, he won’t kick a single ball on the pitch. I think he’s got a vision and a style of play that we can get behind, the club can build structure around and we can become a unit again. Division, selfish players, cliches and round pegs in squared holes, are hopefully things of the past…

 

Well I hope you are right but I'm more pessimistic, I see those same players as yet to prove themselves, players in the main who aren't being chased by host of clubs more that they are cast offs (wish I could word it better as I don't mean to sound so harsh) and that this is their final chance of making a career out of football.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

 

Well I hope you are right but I'm more pessimistic, I see those same players as yet to prove themselves, players in the main who aren't being chased by host of clubs more that they are cast offs (wish I could word it better as I don't mean to sound so harsh) and that this is their final chance of making a career out of football.

If you look at the records of the players we've recruited they should at least be able to hold their own at this level - added to the players we had. A few weeks ago I thought another relegation was on the cards. I'm less fearful now - and I certainly could be regarded as anything but naturally pessimistic.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

If you look at the records of the players we've recruited they should at least be able to hold their own at this level - added to the players we had. A few weeks ago I thought another relegation was on the cards. I'm less fearful now - and I certainly could be regarded as anything but naturally pessimistic.  

I understand why people focus on individual players and of course they make a difference as you move up the pyramid. However, football (like business) is a team game and success is based on the principle of 1+1=3. Individually, Sheridan and Palmer were ‘casts offs’ from their clubs. Together, they were incredible with a sixth sense of what each could and would do. Ferguson teams did not have the best individual players in them. Recent ‘teams’ we have turned out have been nothing short of a collective of individuals wearing the same kit. No cohesion, no anticipation, no band of brothers, point and wait for other people to take responsibility. DM is changing this, which is what we should focus on. A framework, a team, a collective belief and a collective responsibility.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, owls maniac said:

You can see that DM’s enthusiasm has been pivotal in getting a lot of these players signed. Whether you like it or not, as a rare black manager he probably feels he has to work ten times harder. I think a lot of players buy into that. 

This may sound wrong (I really don't mean this in a bad way) but I really hope we capitalise on him being one of few too many black managers in our system. He was harshly treated in my opinion at Albion.

The media do love a ethnicity related story, so let's hope he continues to move us forwards and heal much of the animosity between the club and fan base, whilst creating plenty of positive press and publicity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

If you look at the records of the players we've recruited they should at least be able to hold their own at this level - added to the players we had. A few weeks ago I thought another relegation was on the cards. I'm less fearful now - and I certainly could be regarded as anything but naturally pessimistic.  

 

If we bring in another two forwards then I would be happier. Just for the life of me I can't understand why signing forwards hasn't been our top priority over the last two or three seasons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

 

If we bring in another two forwards then I would be happier. Just for the life of me I can't understand why signing forwards hasn't been our top priority over the last two or three seasons.

 

It may well have been but good ones aren't easy to get for free. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Louise Taylor's non-NE writing is getting a bit better too. She seems to have been given the SWFC beat - up to now, any Wednesday-referencing article has been desperate to bring in Newcastle / Sunderland / Boro as points of reference.  (although the quotes from Warnock and Jones are no surprise at all)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very interesting read, thanks for posting.

 

DM apparently rated Peacock - Farrell because of his “ impressive footwork”. I would hope that DM also assessed his shot stopping ability and whether he can command his area and inspire confidence in the defenders in front of him.

 

Moore talks a lot of sense and I expect him to succeed in the long run, if he’s allowed time by DC, but I do think his preference for defenders playing the  ball out from the back is going to cost us a few goals over the course of the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Revenant said:

English football’s doziest sleeping giant...

 

:Chansiri:

We need to build a song around that!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

We need to build a song around that!

 

To the tune of "flying purple people eater..."

 

We're English football's doziest sleeping giant...*repeat*

 

I'll leave it to you to come up with the actions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Therealrealist

Il reserve judgement till about 19.20 next satday...there seems to be a lot of over eggin goin on...fingers crossed he turns out to be as good as most of you think he his🧐

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm feeling a lot more positive than I was a few weeks ago, but realistically I think DM is going to need a couple more windows before we can mount a genuine challenge. I'm quite happy  to give him that time, let's hope the fans, Clueless, and anyone else capable of influencing matters at S6 is equally as patient.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, aussieowl87 said:

 

To the tune of "flying purple people eater..."

 

We're English football's doziest sleeping giant...*repeat*

 

I'll leave it to you to come up with the actions.

We're known as England's doziest sleeping giant

We think we're England's doziest sleeping giant

We're sure we're England's doziest sleeping giant

Sheffield Wednesday's the name!

 

for those who don't know the tune (anyone younger than 60!)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good article, it's been remarked upon on here already that Moore is' the club's biggest asset. Players want to play for him, he's easy to get behind. He, similarly to Carlos and Bruce knows how to handle the media and is likable. It was something Jos and Monk really fell down on with the fans in that they didn't do themselves any favours in pre/post match interviews.

 

My biggest concern is if we don't start well, do the fans turn and how quick. I really hope Moore gets the time to build something, I genuinely trust him to get us back up, it might be more a case of next season than this one but start well and who knows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love Darren Moore. Just a top bloke, a proper good person it seems. Really want him to do well here. Of course I’d want any manager to do well for us but it feels even better when it’s someone that is relatable 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Brommers said:

This may sound wrong (I really don't mean this in a bad way) but I really hope we capitalise on him being one of few too many black managers in our system. He was harshly treated in my opinion at Albion.

The media do love a ethnicity related story, so let's hope he continues to move us forwards and heal much of the animosity between the club and fan base, whilst creating plenty of positive press and publicity. 

 

If that's not a typo or just some turn of phrase I don't recognise it sounds very wrong 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Therealrealist said:

Il reserve judgement till about 19.20 next satday...there seems to be a lot of over eggin goin on...fingers crossed he turns out to be as good as most of you think he his🧐


 

Hate this attitude 

  • Like 1

 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...