Guardian article

Nice little article to read and I’d love to see DM succeed. He appears to be a very genuine, true football guy. 

But, a ball hasn’t been kicked yet, so let’s just hang fire on the great expectations. There’s still a mountain to climb at this joke of a club, he’s going to need lots of time and support. 

• Like 1

Nice article that, and like other have said I have a good feeling about Moore, his attitude and footballing philosophy. I like how the article lists his credentials too. I really hope he can succed, of course, and really build something to be proud of, though that needs patience - not so much from the fans, god knows we've been patient this last 20 years or so, but from the the general malaise of short-termism in modern life, and definitely from the interferer-in-chief from Thailand; patience and trust.

Another thing raised in the article is the difficulty in building a team on a shoestring, but i actually think Wednesday's problem has always been when we waste money by spaffing large sums on players. I've been watching since 1982, big Jack, sgt Wilko built solid teams with astute signings, even BFR wheeled and dealed (e.g. selling Dalian, for a substantial profit, and bringing in Shirtliff, Williams, and Wilson with the proceeds) although on a better budget than the previous managers. It starts to go downhill for Wednesday when we think we have to spend big on players who, for whatever reason, simply don't perform. 

Thanks for posting the article OP, WAWAW!

I think DM could be the real deal, wanted him as manager when he was at west brom, i really like his calmness and can spot talent when he sees it great guy and I hope he's here for a fair few seasons to come....best of luck DM.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pieman said:

A good read. Explains the all round capability of Moore. While people point to results last season, during a period he flirted with death, I ask myself if Lewis Hamilton could win a Grand Prix in a XR3i? I am convinced he is the best thing that has happened to this club for a long time. He will build a team here, shaped in his own mould of honesty, courage and belief. It won’t happen from day one as there are teams in this league who have been together for some time. But momentum will build and we will hit a momentum which will take us up and away.

Why are you so convinced?  What's he done in managerial career to make you think that?

• Like 1

My favourite ever bit of writing about the Owls was post the playoff final..

No matter, the 40,000 in blue and white fortunate to be here – out of a total crowd of 70,189 – created a racket to make the hairs on the back of the neck spike. That is what happens when one of the most storied sides in the land spend a decade and a half in the doldrums, limping from disaster to farce and enduring spells in the third tier.

There were moments throughout, even when Hull were carving out opportunity after opportunity, where it was difficult to think coherently such was the noise.

"....but, as one more rendition of Carlos had a Dream came booming from the Wednesday end, it was hard not to agree, even in defeat, with the final line of the chant. They are Sheffield Wednesday and, surely sooner rather than later, they are on their way back."

Let's hope so.

Wednesday till we die

• Like 4
  • Love 3

32 minutes ago, Hodgyowl said:

I think DM could be the real deal, wanted him as manager when he was at west brom, i really like his calmness and can spot talent when he sees it great guy and I hope he's here for a fair few seasons to come....best of luck DM.

Exactly this.

We're inevitably going to have the odd poor result but hopefully the fan base can see past that and what Darren is building.

The first time I've felt +ve for a long time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mildatheart67 said:

My favourite ever bit of writing about the Owls was post the playoff final..

No matter, the 40,000 in blue and white fortunate to be here – out of a total crowd of 70,189 – created a racket to make the hairs on the back of the neck spike. That is what happens when one of the most storied sides in the land spend a decade and a half in the doldrums, limping from disaster to farce and enduring spells in the third tier.

There were moments throughout, even when Hull were carving out opportunity after opportunity, where it was difficult to think coherently such was the noise.

"....but, as one more rendition of Carlos had a Dream came booming from the Wednesday end, it was hard not to agree, even in defeat, with the final line of the chant. They are Sheffield Wednesday and, surely sooner rather than later, they are on their way back."

Let's hope so.

Wednesday till we die

wow, just reading that gave me shivers

7 hours ago, owls maniac said:

You can see that DM’s enthusiasm has been pivotal in getting a lot of these players signed. Whether you like it or not, as a rare black manager he probably feels he has to work ten times harder. I think a lot of players buy into that. 

That’s an interesting point to which I would subscribe. I also wonder if the young black players that have recently joined felt more comfortable or enthusiastic joining a club with a black manager. 

6 hours ago, rickygoo said:

Ducking hell. You ask yourself some challenging questions. Did you come up with an answer? 

He can’t. While he’s a brilliant driver, factors outside of his control mean he cannot win the race.

4 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Why are you so convinced?  What's he done in managerial career to make you think that?

My experience in business. My experience in change management and business turnaround. Working with people. What I have read and seen. The way he has conducted himself. What commentators say about him. His CV. What I saw from the really poor team last year under his stewardship, compared to what the previous 3 managers extracted (not inc Thommo). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

How much thinking did that take?

lol

None. I wanted to phrase the point to ensure I didn’t get piled on by the neg brigade. If I focussed on me, people couldn’t accuse me of making outrageous claims, as they do on here. 😀 

1 minute ago, Pieman said:

My experience in business. My experience in change management and business turnaround. Working with people. What I have read and seen. The way he has conducted himself. What commentators say about him. His CV. What I saw from the really poor team last year under his stewardship, compared to what the previous 3 managers extracted (not inc Thommo). 

I agree he comes across as someone who could motivate people but I saw nothing in his stewardship last season that was any better than the previous managers. In fact I was baffled with some of his team selections and the poor use of substitutions but it's all subjective I guess. 

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I agree he comes across as someone who could motivate people but I saw nothing in his stewardship last season that was any better than the previous managers. In fact I was baffled with some of his team selections and the poor use of substitutions but it's all subjective I guess. 

Of course it is. Without doubt, he has made mistakes and will make mistakes this year. But he has brought a sense of positivity and is also trying to build a squad in the right way - young, competitive, fit and seemingly, pretty attack orientated. Yes, it’s a results orientated business. No, he won’t kick a single ball on the pitch. I think he’s got a vision and a style of play that we can get behind, the club can build structure around and we can become a unit again. Division, selfish players, cliches and round pegs in squared holes, are hopefully things of the past…

"footballs doziest sleeping giant"

I mean....damning with faint praise..but crikey....what have we become?

Look at the stadium..look at the fanbase....then sadly...look at the management, the running of the club, and the team

The only thing to be ;proud of is the fans....Same in the 70's...abject tat...remarkable following, outstanding loyalty to a bloody circus not a football team.

It will happen again this season....I honestly wonder how long it can carry on....blind loyalty?...stupidity?....rank stubborness?

Its beyond football for Wednesday fans...Its deeper, its daft...Its The Wednesday...

Head down keep going...

• Like 1