Jump to content

Hallam FC 2021/22 season thread


Recommended Posts

Fresh after winning the Alan Cooper Memorial Trophy in the world’s oldest derby match against Sheffield (Dronfield) FC on Tuesday, Hallam kick off their Northern Counties East Football League campaign today away at Nostell Miners Welfare. 
 

I played against Hallam a few times when I was younger, and started going up to Sandygate last year with some mates when our season was on hold due to Covid to get our football fix. Would highly recommend going up there for a match… fiver in, good entertainment, nice ale - and they play in blue and white!

 

I’ve got a family wedding today so won’t be going to the match (I also have no idea where Nostell is) but I’ll get up to Sandygate a few times this season and I’ll try and keep this thread updated if it’s of interest to anyone

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Full time at Nostell… Hallam were 3-1 down at half time, pulled it back to 3-3 and hit the bar in the 90th minute and had a pen shout a minute later. Bit of a break now before the league cup game away at Brigg Town on the 11th.
 

First home game at Sandygate isn’t until Tuesday the 17th… unfortunately that clashes with our home match against Fleetwood though. From what I can see, the first Hallam home game that doesn’t clash with a Wednesday home game is the local derby against Dronfield Town on Saturday the 25th of September, when we’re away at Ipswich. 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 31/07/2021 at 11:28, beswetherick said:

Fresh after winning the Alan Cooper Memorial Trophy in the world’s oldest derby match against Sheffield (Dronfield) FC on Tuesday, Hallam kick off their Northern Counties East Football League campaign today away at Nostell Miners Welfare. 
 

I played against Hallam a few times when I was younger, and started going up to Sandygate last year with some mates when our season was on hold due to Covid to get our football fix. Would highly recommend going up there for a match… fiver in, good entertainment, nice ale - and they play in blue and white!

 

I’ve got a family wedding today so won’t be going to the match (I also have no idea where Nostell is) but I’ll get up to Sandygate a few times this season and I’ll try and keep this thread updated if it’s of interest to anyone

 

Nostell is slightly South East of Wakefield.
 

Sorry I missed the Hallam game too, sounded a cracker.
I enjoy local Non league football and a bit of groundhopper and think you always develop a soft spot for 1 club and I think mine is Hallam.
You are right that Sandygate is a good place to watch football and good to have such an historic ground in Sheffield.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After getting knocked out of the NCEL League Cup last Wednesday away to Brigg Town (courtesy of a 92nd minute goal), Hallam were on the road again on Saturday, this time travelling to the outskirts of Mansfield to play Rainworth Miners Welfare. 
 

Unfortunately, the game had to be abandoned due to one of the assistant referees collapsing in the second half. Hallam physio Shannon Brooks was by all accounts incredible with her reaction to the situation, and the assistant ref is apparently now stable and recovering in hospital after being taken there via air ambulance. 
 

Shannon has launched a JustGiving page to help raise funds for defibrillators in more non-league grounds, details below:

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No club at any level of the pyramid should be allowed to pay players/staff if they don't have a defib

 

I don't know what the situation is with Hallam so it's not a slight on them - but i do know clubs who play higher up the pyramid and do pay players yet do not have basic medical facilities - and the blame for that generally lies with the authorities because they do not mandate it 

 

You would be surprised how far down the list of priorities medical care, health and wellbeing of players, staff and officials is within football 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, scram said:

No club at any level of the pyramid should be allowed to pay players/staff if they don't have a defib

 

I don't know what the situation is with Hallam so it's not a slight on them - but i do know clubs who play higher up the pyramid and do pay players yet do not have basic medical facilities - and the blame for that generally lies with the authorities because they do not mandate it 

 

You would be surprised how far down the list of priorities medical care, health and wellbeing of players, staff and officials is within football 


Absolutely - it seems like it’s a pretty simple thing for the FA to sort out if they have the desire to. They could set up a fund to help grassroots clubs buy defibs or just buy a load in bulk for those who need them, it’s hardly as if they’re short of cash and defibs literally save lives - as everyone saw during the Euros. 

 

Sounds like Rainworth had a defib on site, fortunately, and the Hallam physio did an excellent job before the paramedics arrived. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a season ticket holder at Sheffield FC but we go to the Hallam games when Club are away. It's a great ground and atmosphere.

Unfortunately, this season the 2 teams Home games practically mirror each other!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/08/2021 at 17:51, Groundhopping Owl said:

Lost 2-1 at Brigg today, not an ideal start to the season.


Hallam responded well last night with a 7 (seven) - 0 win against Hall Road Rangers, with all seven goals coming in the second half. Having played at least one game less than most other teams, it hasn’t made a huge difference in terms of the league table… but the GD is looking a lot healthier!

 

In other good news, Shannon’s defib fundraiser reached its £2000 target today

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been a bit slow updating this thread over the past few weeks. Results since hammering Humber United 9-2 on the 28th of August: 

 

Hallam 4 - 0 Retford FC

Harrogate Railway 1 - 2 Hallam

Hallam 7 - 1 Shirebrook Town

Burscough 2 - 1 Hallam (FA Vase qualifier)

Hallam 4 - 0 Swallownest (Sheffield & Hallamshire Senior Cup)

Hallam 5 - 1 Swallownest

Parkgate 0 - 3 Hallam

 

Not a bad little run, currently sitting in 6th with a game in hand on the top 2 and a frankly ridiculous +28 GD after 10 games. Next home game is against Dronfield on Tuesday when we’re away at Wigan… Dronfield are 19th out of 21 teams with 4 points from 10 games, so it could well be another goalfest up at Sandygate!

 

CF74DE69-FBF7-45C7-9A7D-66F074DAF4EB.jpeg.cdfa02587273e1e1afeb0adb2c38c632.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been to the mid week home games at Hallam last few weeks and they just seem a division above everyone lately.

Another good thing is the crowds they seem to attract now.

To get over 600 for a run of the mill midweek game is really some going at that level.

I first went to Hallam abut 10 years ago and can remember crowd was about 70.

 

Think some non league clubs have benefitted a bit from the lockdown where they was a time when it was the only football you were allowed to attend and also good use of social media.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went to the match last Saturday. Over 620 in attendance to witness an absolutely cracking game. Unlike the goalfests of recent weeks this was a tight affair with Hallam equalising late on to earn a 1-1 draw. We had a few beers while watching the game, ended up in the bar afterwards and got chatting to some of the Glasshoughton lads. They were really buzzing and you couldn't blame them. For anyone considering going but thinking it may all be a bit Sunday League or just not as competitive as the professional game I urge you to try it. It's an absolute breath of fresh air after countless years feeling duty bound to watch Wednesday and coming home from each game disappointed, frustrated or worse! I haven't enjoyed my football this much since the early nineties. COYH!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Jaybeeowl said:

Went to the match last Saturday. Over 620 in attendance to witness an absolutely cracking game. Unlike the goalfests of recent weeks this was a tight affair with Hallam equalising late on to earn a 1-1 draw. We had a few beers while watching the game, ended up in the bar afterwards and got chatting to some of the Glasshoughton lads. They were really buzzing and you couldn't blame them. For anyone considering going but thinking it may all be a bit Sunday League or just not as competitive as the professional game I urge you to try it. It's an absolute breath of fresh air after countless years feeling duty bound to watch Wednesday and coming home from each game disappointed, frustrated or worse! I haven't enjoyed my football this much since the early nineties. COYH!

 

620 at that level is fantastic.

When I first went to Hallam FC about 10 years ago I think the crowd was about 70 on a Saturday when both Wednesday & United were not playing.

Not sure why they attendances have really shot bit pleased for them.

Couldn't make it last night but saw they won again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forgot about this thread for a while lol 

 

Hallam have been smashing it this season, currently 3 points clear at the top with a game in hand and a quite ridiculous GD of +97. I’ve not gone through every non-league table to check but I think they’re possibly the highest scoring team in the country. 
 

Provided they win again on Tuesday, the title will be mathematically confirmed at Sandygate next Saturday against Clipstone. Expecting another big crowd up there, probably close to the 1000+ who turned up for the game against North Ferriby, which is fantastic for a club at their level

 

🔵⚪🔵⚪🔵

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...