Looking to buy a laptop

Hi all, so I'm still using a Sony Vaio I bought from a colleague about 10 years ago. Its running Windows xp. I mainly use it for photoshop/illustrator (CS3). It can't connect to our wireless printer as the drivers aren't compatible. Its still going strong, BUT, the fact it is so out of date makes it hard to use any more. (I have to set the clock every time I fire it up, otherwise I can't use the Internet). 

My misses has a lenovo that she mainly uses for word processing/spreadsheets. It's maybe 2 years old and is rubbish. So slow and keeps crashing. 

We're looking to buy a new (or refurbished if any good?) laptop to combine so we can run photoshop and do word processing, print etc on it. 

I'm COMPLETELY out of the loop with computers (see windows xp, above), it just doesn't interest me any more and just looking for some advise as to what i should look at. Obviously budget comes into play, I would guess maybe around the £400 mark (if it's even possible to get anything for that?). 

Any advice would be massively appreciated. Thanks

You should get something suitable for that money.  I would be looking at a spec as follows:

Processor: Intel i3 minimum, i5 if you can within budget

Memory: 4GB min, 8GB if you can

HDD: ideally SSD

If you can I would definitely recommend the SSD above the other nice to haves, it is the single biggest and best upgrade I’ve ever done. 

In terms of brands, I’ve had 2 Lenovo’s and never had an issue, but at that price point don’t think there will be much between any of the popular brands. 

22 minutes ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

Bought one of these, reconditioned, from Amazon about three years back for my home business.

https://amzn.to/3C3INNe

Very happy with it.

Also as an aside I had a new laptop before that but the problem with brand new ones is that they tend to pre-install all sorts of crap on them which you probably don't want and only succeeds in slowing the thing down. Apart from having Windows 10 installed reconditioned machines come totally empty....

• Like 2

On 29/07/2021 at 16:43, the_vinyl_frontier said:

Hi all, so I'm still using a Sony Vaio I bought from a colleague about 10 years ago. Its running Windows xp. I mainly use it for photoshop/illustrator (CS3). It can't connect to our wireless printer as the drivers aren't compatible. Its still going strong, BUT, the fact it is so out of date makes it hard to use any more. (I have to set the clock every time I fire it up, otherwise I can't use the Internet). 

My misses has a lenovo that she mainly uses for word processing/spreadsheets. It's maybe 2 years old and is rubbish. So slow and keeps crashing. 

We're looking to buy a new (or refurbished if any good?) laptop to combine so we can run photoshop and do word processing, print etc on it. 

I'm COMPLETELY out of the loop with computers (see windows xp, above), it just doesn't interest me any more and just looking for some advise as to what i should look at. Obviously budget comes into play, I would guess maybe around the £400 mark (if it's even possible to get anything for that?). 

Any advice would be massively appreciated. Thanks

What did you end up with and are you pleased with it?

9 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

What did you end up with and are you pleased with it?

I bought the Asus that skyline recommended. Its very good. I can't get over how quick it boots up with the ssd (I think that's what it's called?). The only slight issue is that it can often crash when I'm using affinity photo (similar to photoshop), I wanted to upgrade the ram but it's not an option with this model. 

For what I need it for though, its fantastic

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1