Darren Moore: The Club’s Best Asset ??

I was disappointed with some of his team selections and substitutions last season.  Harris in particular was clearly shot of confidence (or ability if you want to go there), yet was continuously picked or left on the pitch.  The only solace is the lack of alternatives Moore had available at the time. 

But we did play better football under Moore (see the Cardiff game), and now we are signing the right types of players in his first transfer window.  Plus people within football always say positive things about Moore as a manager/person.  

So I think there’s hope for a good season to come 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, heppers said:

He seems like a nice bloke. Beyond that he has achieved nothing.

I am happy to give him time but why the love in?

I think part of it is because he seems to be the first manager who has managed to persuade DC to let him have control of recruitment.

The type of player he is recruiting is exciting and gives us the feeling that we might have a team we can be proud of again.

Add into the mix that he seems to have a really good pulling power in terms of players wanting to come to us. I am still surprised Lewis Wing is stepping down to League 1! I’ve not been as excited by a summer recruitment drive since DCs first year at the club.

I also think the fact that he seems to be a genuinely nice bloke is helping people buy in to him. 

That said, I am still a bit wary, as last season he made some really bizarre substitutions and tactical decisions. 

So in summary, I’m on board but with a wee bit of doubt at the back of my brain. It’s just nice to have some positivity again! 

Edited by Think tank
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Think tank said:

I think part of it is because he seems to be the first manager who has managed to persuade DC to let him have control of recruitment.

The type of player he is recruiting is exciting and gives us the feeling that we might have a team we can be proud of again.

Add into the mix that he seems to have a really good pulling power in terms of players wanting to come to us. I am still surprised Lewis Wing is stepping down to League 1! I’ve not been as excited by a summer recruitment drive since DCs first year at the club.

I also think the fact that he seems to be a genuinely nice bloke is helping people buy in to him. 

That said, I am still a bit wary, as last season he made some really bizarre substitutions and tactical decisions. 

So in summary, I’m on board but with a wee bit of doubt at the back of my brain. It’s just nice to have some positivity again! 

So what you are really saying is that he got us relegated.

I very happy with the recruitment so far. Moore is definitely an asset in attracting players and I’ve been surprised how well we have done at getting good recruits in. Filling the strikers positions next week will leave me actually looking forward to the season!

Obviously recruitment is only half of the battle but even if he ends up being rubbish as a manager if he gets fired at least whoever comes in next has a reasonable squad to work with!

Give him the season, with his players, methods and formations. If we have improved on the field, can achieve good consistent performances and string a few wins together (decent football would be a bonus) then he will be our biggest asset, but until then he's done nothing.

I'm giving him a cautious thumbs-up, I like the fella and the way he goes about his business - let's just hope the football and results match-up.

9 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I thought he was utterly hopeless last season. 

However, that’s history and his transfer activity so far looks spot-on. 

Utterly hopeless.

Yep walking into a squad on a downward spiral,unbalanced swuad,  no confidence and players not getting paid.

Then he got Covid.

But we have our fans saying he was hopeless, says more about them as people.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

He’s clearly seen what most fans saw, that we needed a proper keeper and a proper striker. It was hardly rocket-science but it fills me with optimism that he’s done the bleedin’ obvious. 

Plus, he’s managed to persuade decent players to come here. That can’t have been easy with our recent wage shenanigans.

It remains to be seen what he’ll do with this new squad, but fair-play to Moore he has without doubt built a far sounder squad than many of us feared.

Compare his acquisitions with those of Monk last July.

• Like 2

On 30/07/2021 at 06:43, heppers said:

He seems like a nice bloke. Beyond that he has achieved nothing.

I am happy to give him time but why the love in?

I get where you’re coming from. In the grand scheme of things he hasn’t achieved much in his managerial career but we have had mixed success during the DC Era with proven managers. Bruce and Pulis on paper should’ve worked but for a variety of reasons they didn’t.

In some ways I look at Moore’s appointment in a similar fashion to the appointment of Carlos. In essence we are at the start of a project. The project that started under Carlos was undoubtedly different. Promotion to the premier league was the aim

with a well funded budget and we targeted proven experienced players and it almost worked. I think it derailed after Carlos’ departure somewhat as the Chairman never had the connection with his replacements as he had with the Portuguese?

Now the project is different but I suspect the long term aim is the same. We now have a manager who seems to be well respected in the game. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that every player that has signed for us this summer has said that the gaffer was a big factor in them signing.

Now the budget is obviously lower, the players targeted are not as proven and experienced but I suspect like under Carlos the aim will be to play attractive football and challenge at the top end of the table albeit in League 1.

I see Moore having the same sort of relationship with the Chairman as Carlos did. Engaging, warm, friendly and positive. If I’m right it won’t be long before things start to move in the right direction as for this project to work the Chairman has to buy into it?

I get a similar vibe, don’t know why but this reminds me very much of our relegation in 1990. Last home game of the season against Forest. A game at Derby being pivotal on the final day this time actually involving us rather than someone else (Luton), arguably being relegated in harsh circumstances?

I think Moore has a similar background in general to our Manager then. Effervescent personality, good man manager, players want to play for him, believes in attacking football. I think if we can get promoted from League 1 relatively quickly then the juggernaut could well roll and we could be back challenging for a return to the premier

league sooner than many think?

Many on here will say it’s a dream, wishful thinking, total b*ll**ks etc. As I fan if you can’t dream then what’s the point? I genuinely believe Moore will be eventually talked about here in the same way we talk about Big Ron but only time will tell if I’m right or wrong. I’m looking forward to the next few seasons with interest.

• Like 3

It all depends on how we start the season, and I don’t mean at Charlton I mean the first 8-10 games. 

Last season had some many problems, and I think Moore made some mistakes as others have pointed out in our run to relegation. However the circumstances at the club and the players we had were shocking so the fact he actually got that set of players even trying to play football was decent. Plus he was in and out of the club with illness !! 

However, he seems to have control over what he wants to do going forward. Seems it was his decision which players left and he is making the signings which is a much more positive step. He wants us to play football which again is positive. We’re still in a mess off the field too so to get the squad he has so far he has done well.

However, if we lose quite a few of our first games the pressure is on, our fan base won’t let up and the job will get harder. He needs time which lets be honest we’re not great at giving. But as a club we can’t stay down here too long so time isn’t a luxury he has.

All in all, last season he got a pass as Monk is up there with the worst we have ever had and then Pulis was just a complete farce. 

His proper job started as soon as the season finished, on paper it’s looking good so far, there is more work to do recruitment wise and then the key part is the results - let’s hope he delivers 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marro said:

Is Moore a good manager?  I don’t know.  However, I like the way he conducts himself, I like the guy and of all the managers in recent years I really want him to succeed.

Can’t argue with that at all. Does seem like a really good sort. Hope it works for him and us.

On 29/07/2021 at 15:41, Glenn59 said:

Old school manager, wants to play the game in the right fashion, attacking football. Clearly well respected by other managers/players and seems the type of manager the fans can connect with.

Just hope fans don't start after any defeat as it'll be a long old season with bumps in the road. It's a teambuilding process too, not a boil in the bag Barcelona so fans need to stick with him and the plan.

Looking at the business I'm getting to like the look of this squad, still more to do, but a decent honest basis to it.

This made me chuckle , look who started the "Untenable " thread !!

Must say though ,I questioned DM s appointment at the time ,wondering what he had done in management to get the job , and threads like this and the ones after half a dozen games just made me smile quietly to myself