Liverpool

Upwind

Liverpool is such a great city

I used to live and work in Liverpool and it's one of the best cities in the world

The people are great, the city is forward thinking and positive, and ambitious
There's loads to do

The nightlife is amazing

The shopping is great now too

Great place

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

On 01/08/2021 at 14:15, neo hippy said:

Mathew Street area was always more full of the types of scouser you want to avoid and stag/ hen do's. Avoid. 

WHATTTTT???

Noooo!!!!

Mathew Street is amazing!
There's some great pubs and bars, the street gets full of partygoers and tourists and there's a great vibe!

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

On 04/08/2021 at 03:33, @owlstalk said:

Was always gonna happen once you let Meadowhall open up

But other cities have big indoor malls too.

Why do we always assume Meadowhall would kill Sheffield city center when the Metrocenter didn’t kill Newcastle? 

And the same can be said for Manchester, Leeds, and many others.

The owls are not what they seem.

We had a long weekend in Liverpool a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.

I remember Albert dock area when it was a derelict wasteland and now it's great area with plenty of places to eat and drink. The area is well policed and they have a no walking around with Booze in your hands policy.

As others have said the Museums and Tate modern are well worth a visit, my favourite being the Migration Museum which was a great education.

On the evenings we went on Matthew St, the Cavern has live bands on doing Beatles and that era covers, but for me personally I preffered the club that was once "Eric's" where bands such as Echo and the Bunnymen, OMD, KLF and many others cut their teeth. Again they had live bands on.

We stayed in a large hotel opposite Albert Dock and I would say most of the guests were Scandinavian Liverpool fans who had come over to watch Liverpool.

I am sure you will have a great time.

ps

If you are taking your car,  parking is scarce and is very expensive £25 for 24 hours.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

ps

If you are taking your car,  parking is scarce and is very expensive £25 for 24 hours.

There is parking opposite our hotel - but it is £18 per 24 hour............. so we're getting a train.  £90 return for both of us.

On 04/08/2021 at 10:58, Essix Blue said:

You’ve got a point there. Maybe Sheffield city centre does suffer a bit because of the close proximity of good drinking areas around it 

yeh think so.

You can live in nice areas and walk to town etc. Walkley, Eccy Road, Heeley, Hillsborough etc etc

In Manchester once you leave the ring road its all a bit ropey, Moss Side, Salford,  Longsite, Ardwick

Travelled up to Liverpool on Friday, stopping in Shrewsbury to go to Planet Doughnut who make absolutely amazing doughnuts. Worth checking out.

Arrived in Liverpool early afternoon and went to the British Music Experience, which was great. Recommended.

Then went over to new Brighton where we staying and checked into our Airbnb.  Then went for a stroll on the sea front. Not masses there. Had tea at a Hungry Horse and we were lucky to get in as we hadn't booked. Food was ok.

Saturday morning we did the Beatles' Story, which was also very good. Again I recommend it.

After that we had a wander around Liverpool One, had lunch in Byron's, dodged the rain, looked around some more.

Good shopping centre  if you like that sort of thing.

After that we went to the World Museum.

There were far too many people there and the majority were not wearing masks. The lifts were completely inadequate for the number of people there, and we rely on them because of the wheelchair. We spent an inordinate amount of time waiting for the lift that we saw very little.

I got the impression it was a great museum if it were less crowded and you could get around without using the lifts.

Went back to New Brighton front and had an ice cream in the exceptional Caffe Cream.

Then went back to the apartment and listened to the match and then chilled in the evening.

We intended to go Crosby to see the statues on Sunday morning before heading home but it was weeing it down again.

We stopped again at Shrewsbury to stock up on doughnuts.

All in all a good weekend despite the rain and we feel we need to go back because we did not do half the things we had on our list of possibilities.

• Like 3

Thanks for update @OxonOwl - will certainly look into the British Music Experience - already got the Beatles Story on list.  I think the World Museum is already on the list also - but it's a shame you didn't get the time to look round properly.  Maybe next time you visit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

Travelled up to Liverpool on Friday, stopping in Shrewsbury to go to Planet Doughnut who make absolutely amazing doughnuts. Worth checking out.

Arrived in Liverpool early afternoon and went to the British Music Experience, which was great. Recommended.

Then went over to new Brighton where we staying and checked into our Airbnb.  Then went for a stroll on the sea front. Not masses there. Had tea at a Hungry Horse and we were lucky to get in as we hadn't booked. Food was ok.

Saturday morning we did the Beatles' Story, which was also very good. Again I recommend it.

After that we had a wander around Liverpool One, had lunch in Byron's, dodged the rain, looked around some more.

Good shopping centre  if you like that sort of thing.

After that we went to the World Museum.

There were far too many people there and the majority were not wearing masks. The lifts were completely inadequate for the number of people there, and we rely on them because of the wheelchair. We spent an inordinate amount of time waiting for the lift that we saw very little.

I got the impression it was a great museum if it were less crowded and you could get around without using the lifts.

Went back to New Brighton front and had an ice cream in the exceptional Caffe Cream.

Then went back to the apartment and listened to the match and then chilled in the evening.

We intended to go Crosby to see the statues on Sunday morning before heading home but it was weeing it down again.

We stopped again at Shrewsbury to stock up on doughnuts.

All in all a good weekend despite the rain and we feel we need to go back because we did not do half the things we had on our list of possibilities.

You've absolutely nailed the World Museum there pal. It's excellent when you go on a quiet day and dont have to queue forever for the lifts (we used to have the pushchair or pram a lot when we used to go) but when it's busy it is not a fun place to be. 

Also, I completely agree about Caffe Cream. Always stop in for a coffee and ice cream/cake when we are over the water. We were there a couple of weeks ago as we took the kids over and went on the beach and for a scoot down the front.

• Like 1

There is a meme I have shared quite a few times and occasionally I stop and wonder if it true or just an urban myth. I have never checked it out.

On this trip I saw it. The merchandise shop, Everton 2, Liverpool 1

The people we encountered were really friendly and helpful. My wife remarked on it and my son replied that he was not surprised. Every time he goes up north he notices that the people are nice and friendly.

Wife and children are southerners.

• Like 1

On 09/08/2021 at 13:57, Upwind said:

Thanks for update @OxonOwl - will certainly look into the British Music Experience - already got the Beatles Story on list.  I think the World Museum is already on the list also - but it's a shame you didn't get the time to look round properly.  Maybe next time you visit.

Give us your review please when you get back. We are booked to go back at the end of October so it would be useful.

Thanks

• Like 1

On 06/09/2021 at 08:32, OxonOwl said:

Give us your review please when you get back. We are booked to go back at the end of October so it would be useful.

Thanks

Here you go.....

So, got back from Liverpool end of last week and had a really good time - nice city and nice people (generally)

We stayed in the Pullman Hotel in the King's Docks and were lucky enough to have a great view  which encapsulated of the Mersey, Liverpool Wheel, Albert Docks, 3 Graces and Royal Liver Building.... great view and the we had large panoramic windows which made the most of it.

We did the following in our 5 days there.

Maritime Museum - excellent and free (although suggested £5 donation) - we went midweek to avoid the crowds

Museum of Liverpool - also excellent and free (again £5 donation suggested) - as above.

Ferry up the Mersey and then across the Mersey to Birkenhead (and return) - was a nice day and quite calm.  We managed to get a seat in the sun and it was cheap enough at £11 - although I recommend that if you want any refreshments you buy before you get on as the beer and coffee prices are a bit steep.  

Stadium Tour at Liverpool FC - this was £22 each, but was enjoyable - even for the missus who isn't a footy fan.  We had a Man Utd fan on our tour and he got some ribbing - but all friendly and entertaining.

St John's Beacon - the big radio mast with viewing gallery - cost was £7 - was enjoyable and great if it's a nice day...... and you don't suffer from vertigo...  

Cavern Club - We went to this on the Sunday afternoon after it had started raining, with the idea of having a drink or two.  We ended up staying for 5 hours and really enjoyed the atmosphere and vibe - it costs £5 to get in, but the bar prices aren't too bad and there were acts on the whole time - would definitely recommend.

There is a large shopping area (named Liverpool One) which the missus enjoyed walking round and 

We ate out every evening and mostly enjoyed the fayre.  Two of our favourites were in Bold Street which is full of restaurants.

Fogo Brazil - we went for evening meal - was about £22 per person, but for that you got all the meat you could eat (served by the chefs directly to your plate) and a great buffet salad.  We ate far too much - but if you have a healthy appetite it's great.  They also do a lunchtime menu for half the price and this may have been a better option.

Greek Taverna - we went for the early bird - was £13 for starter and main.  Very fresh and tasty food and also - I can recommend the Moussaka.

Also went to the Philharmonic pub (Hope Street) as suggested by someone on here - it really was nice and classy - although not pretentious.  We ate in here also and the food was good.

There is a lot of work ongoing around Albert Docks and quite a bit of pedestrianisation happening in the town areas.

• Thanks 2