Liverpool

Upwind

So - we are going to Liverpool in September for a few days - we've not planned our itinerary yet, but would be glad of any handy tips........ or suggestions for things to do / avoid.

Staying in the King's Docks area overlooking the Mersey.

19 minutes ago, Upwind said:

So - we are going to Liverpool in September for a few days - we've not planned our itinerary yet, but would be glad of any handy tips........ or suggestions for things to do / avoid.

We're going in August. Staying in Wallasey .

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Upwind said:

What are you looking for? Family stuff or drinking?

There's a few museums round the docks. Loads of places to go for food/drink.

Probably best to go on one of the tripadvisor sites. I've barely been in the city centre for 18 months so i dont even know what's still open.

• Like 1

Going as a couple and we'll be trying to take in a bit of everything.  History/museums/walking tours/markets etc.  

We enjoy eating out and having a drink or two, but we're not after any late night (night club) action particularly.

Just now, Adem Poric said:

Loads of things to go around, The Docks, Cavern, China Town, Beatles tours, etc.

That sounds like us. Mrs Oxon works out the itinerary though.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2021 at 11:51, OxonOwl said:

That sounds like us. Mrs Oxon works out the itinerary though.

Feel free to come back with any update when you get back - hope you enjoy it.  👍 

• Like 1

If the weather is nice and you want to get out of the city centre you could get up to Crosby (where I live) and see the Anthony Gormley Iron Men on the beach or the sand dunes at Formby. There's also Aintree racecourse just down the road, Southport is a nice seaside town as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

museum of liverpool was good, maritime museum was interesting too.

We did the "magical mystery (bus) tour" which was ok but a bit meh

Cavern pub is worth visiting just for a pint

Shopping is good (if you like that sort of stuff) 

Overall I like Liverpool, feels a lot like sheffield but more international 

• Like 1

Concert Square was always great for a beer when the sun's out.

American pizza slice company does great takeaway pizza. 18" so just get a slice or 2 for lunch.

Caven club is worth it of you like the beatles 

Mathew Street area was always more full of the types of scouser you want to avoid and stag/ hen do's. Avoid.

Love the place but must have been about 7 years since I last visited though.

• Like 2

Harry Enfield and his Scousers sketches have a lot to answer for, IMHO, for the undeserved bad reputation that Liverpool has.

Jokes about disappearing hub caps, telling people to “calm down, calm down” and the like present an unfair caricature of Scousers and the city as a whole.

I haven’t been to Liverpool for a good few years now, but I always enjoyed by visits to the city.

The optimist in me says that one day Wednesday will be back playing in The Premiership at Anfield and Goodson Park, although I suspect Everton will have moved to their new ground by then !

• Like 2

On 02/08/2021 at 18:41, flo said:

There right now.

Reyt busy for a week day compared to Sheff. 

Sheffield city centre needs rebooting. Always dead outside of weekends. Think this is due to nice suburbs close by etc compared to say Manchester where many are holes.

54 minutes ago, modboy said:

Sheffield city centre needs rebooting. Always dead outside of weekends. Think this is due to nice suburbs close by etc compared to say Manchester where many are holes.

You’ve got a point there. Maybe Sheffield city centre does suffer a bit because of the close proximity of good drinking areas around it