Are we still under an embargo/transfer constraints?

3 hours ago, swinners said:

Can't see anything to say we are or aren't.   Do we still have signing constraints?

Put it this way, we're not in for Harry Kane just yet!

This is from a few weeks ago:

It was confirmed by the English Football League that the Owls are no longer under a transfer embargo and can now bring in some much-needed reinforcements. 

But Wednesday are still operating under some restrictions imposed by the EFL. Yorkshire Live can reveal the Owls can't pay any transfer fees this summer and are only permitted to sign players on a free or loan.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-wednesday-transfer-restrictions-recruitment-21012807

But if the reported £300k loan fee for Peacock-Farrell is true, then you have to wonder why we'd be allowed to pay that but not spend similar on a permanent signing? 

• Like 1

I don't think there is a formal embargo, but the EFL will be keeping a close eye on our compliance with the L1 FFP rules to make sure we stay within 75% of revenue, given our previous conduct.

Presumably the last contractual parents to released players have been made, which may have been a focus of EFL as part of the suspended penalty and Bormers departure have given us some wriggle room in the transfer market and the green light to start trading.

My understanding is that no transfer fees can be paid until the EFL are confident that the cash flow issues being experienced have been overcome.

Not a bad thing as its clearly made a positive change in thinking at the club, the need for external income, reasonable salaries etc.

39 minutes ago, King_Monkey said:

My understanding is that no transfer fees can be paid until the EFL are confident that the cash flow issues being experienced have been overcome.

Not a bad thing as its clearly made a positive change in thinking at the club, the need for external income, reasonable salaries etc.

One would assume they're monitoring payday like a hawk now

3 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

But if the reported £300k loan fee for Peacock-Farrell is true, then you have to wonder why we'd be allowed to pay that but not spend similar on a permanent signing? 

Surely, that £300k would be paid over the length of the season not upfront? 

1 minute ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

Surely, that £300k would be paid over the length of the season not upfront? 

Transfer fees are usually spread over a few seasons as well, aren't they?

It just seems odd that we'd be allowed to pay a loan fee but not a transfer fee. I assume something in that report I quoted isn't quite accurate.

3 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

This is from a few weeks ago:

It was confirmed by the English Football League that the Owls are no longer under a transfer embargo and can now bring in some much-needed reinforcements. 

But Wednesday are still operating under some restrictions imposed by the EFL. Yorkshire Live can reveal the Owls can't pay any transfer fees this summer and are only permitted to sign players on a free or loan.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-wednesday-transfer-restrictions-recruitment-21012807

Don’t tell me we’re sliding around the restrictions by paying a loan fee rather than a transfer fee. Whatever next?