The Wilderless Years

4 minutes ago, owl_83 said:

Yesterday confirms to me that Wilder did not make all of those expensive signings. Think about it, why would Wilder criticise us for "spunking money up the wall" and then go and make the same mistakes at S2? He wouldn't, he is not that kind of manager.

The Chairman/Owner saw it as an opportunity to break into and solidify their place in the Premier League, so they gambled. They went out and bought expensive signings, signings in positions they didn't even need and went to Wilder and said "there you go, go and take us to the next level". And Wilder couldn't exactly turn around after the club had made a £20 million signing and say "well he is not really what I wanted, I will hardly play him". He had to toe the party line.

All the talk yesterday about changing strategy and letting the Football Manager manage the football side, speaks volumes to me that the exact opposite happened in the past. They did interfere in the footballing matters. They treat it like it was a game of Football Manager or fantasy football. And I believe that they think the players are good enough and they aren't. Wilder and Slavisa both could not get them to play and Slavisa did not play the signings towards the end.

The board/Chairman/Owner had seen enough of Slavisa, they want to see their investments being played out on the pitch, not him going to the board and asking for more money. It is going to be interesting what happens in the near future. I think we will see a return of Brewster etc in the first team. What will happen if they lose the first three or four, god only knows.

It's one thing sticking to the party line, then it's another thing coming out saying it is their best transfer window in the entire history of the club

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, smhouston said:

It's one thing sticking to the party line, then it's another thing coming out saying it is their best transfer window in the entire history of the club

Your club has just spent upwards of £100 million. They were one of the best net spenders in the division and broke every club record signing. What else can you expect him to say?

How could he say anything else?

He was shrewd the way he got them to the Championship and Premiership. He didn't spend much money getting them to 9th place in Premier League. Then when the dust has settled in the McCabe and Prince fight, all of a sudden they change tact and just buy random signings. How many forwards did they buy?

That wasn't Wilder. That was the Prince and his management team playing football manager with a real club.

15 minutes ago, owl_83 said:

Your club has just spent upwards of £100 million. They were one of the best net spenders in the division and broke every club record signing. What else can you expect him to say?

How could he say anything else?

He was shrewd the way he got them to the Championship and Premiership. He didn't spend much money getting them to 9th place in Premier League. Then when the dust has settled in the McCabe and Prince fight, all of a sudden they change tact and just buy random signings. How many forwards did they buy?

That wasn't Wilder. That was the Prince and his management team playing football manager with a real club.

Yup, clearly didn't spend anything upon his first season in the premiership to get them to 9th 🙄:

Sander Berge £20m

Oliver McBurnie £17m

Lys Mousset £10m

Callum Robinson £7m

Luke Freeman £5m

Ben Osborn £3.5m

There is even arguments his 1st season transfers was worst than his 2nd! 

7 minutes ago, smhouston said:

Yup, clearly didn't spend anything upon his first season in the premiership to get them to 9th 🙄:

Sander Berge £20m

Oliver McBurnie £17m

Lys Mousset £10m

Callum Robinson £7m

Luke Freeman £5m

Ben Osborn £3.5m

There is even arguments his 1st season transfers was worst than his 2nd! 

For some reason some supporters want to put Wilder on a pedestal, he didn't make any poor decisions, someone else did

he didn't threaten to walk away so he could get a wage rise year on year

non of it was his fault and he didn't ask for 4 million to walk away so he could maintain his record of never being relegated

he was the greatest manager Sheffield has ever seen

• Like 2

It does pose a good question though, will Heckingbottom now reintegrate all these expensive signings and see if he can get a tune out of them? They obviously want to start selling assets and they are not going to get any value for them if they are sat in the stands doing nothing. 

Mousset, Basham, Mcgoldrick, Sharp, Freeman and Osborn are all out of contract at the end of the season. Other than Sharp there's surely a chance they jettison all of them in January if they can get nominal fees and get them off the wage bill. They are going to take a hit on someone like Mousset as they arent getting £10m back for him but they may get £2.5m from some mug. Maybe a million for Osborn? I dont think Freeman even gets a game. Basham likely ends up at Boro with Wilder.

• Like 1

What I’m finding bizarre, though very enjoyable is the narrative from the club.

Wilder is in total charge and makes all the decisions.

We want to bring in a DoF to make sure Wilder doesn’t spunk any more money

Wilder walked because he could be in charge.

Hecky is a good replacement but we need experience.

Slav is a great coach and it was definitely the right appointment.

Slav is leaving because we now have a strategic plan, and there is no role for a coach.

Hecky will be in control of everything to do with football, and no one will interfere.

We have given him the title football club manager. You thick’s won’t understand that, but I’m not from here and don’t understand football so I don’t actually care what you think.

And we think we lack direction😀😀🤓

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

It does pose a good question though, will Heckingbottom now reintegrate all these expensive signings and see if he can get a tune out of them? They obviously want to start selling assets and they are not going to get any value for them if they are sat in the stands doing nothing. 

Mousset, Basham, Mcgoldrick, Sharp, Freeman and Osborn are all out of contract at the end of the season. Other than Sharp there's surely a chance they jettison all of them in January if they can get nominal fees and get them off the wage bill. They are going to take a hit on someone like Mousset as they arent getting £10m back for him but they may get £2.5m from some mug. Maybe a million for Osborn? I dont think Freeman even gets a game. Basham likely ends up at Boro with Wilder.

Not sure anyone will pay owt for the, A’s their contracts run down. So they have to gamble on offering them a new reduced deal, the same deal, or let them walk. What a dilemma. 

21 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Not sure anyone will pay owt for the, A’s their contracts run down. So they have to gamble on offering them a new reduced deal, the same deal, or let them walk. What a dilemma. 

according to the football transfers market website they have 12 players out of contract with a value of 30million

don't know how many are first team players, but they will not have much value in a fire sale in January

1 hour ago, owl_83 said:

Yesterday confirms to me that Wilder did not make all of those expensive signings. Think about it, why would Wilder criticise us for "spunking money up the wall" and then go and make the same mistakes at S2? He wouldn't, he is not that kind of manager.

The Chairman/Owner saw it as an opportunity to break into and solidify their place in the Premier League, so they gambled. They went out and bought expensive signings, signings in positions they didn't even need and went to Wilder and said "there you go, go and take us to the next level". And Wilder couldn't exactly turn around after the club had made a £20 million signing and say "well he is not really what I wanted, I will hardly play him". He had to toe the party line.

All the talk yesterday about changing strategy and letting the Football Manager manage the football side, speaks volumes to me that the exact opposite happened in the past. They did interfere in the footballing matters. They treat it like it was a game of Football Manager or fantasy football. And I believe that they think the players are good enough and they aren't. Wilder and Slavisa both could not get them to play and Slavisa did not play the signings towards the end.

The board/Chairman/Owner had seen enough of Slavisa, they want to see their investments being played out on the pitch, not him going to the board and asking for more money. It is going to be interesting what happens in the near future. I think we will see a return of Brewster etc in the first team. What will happen if they lose the first three or four, god only knows.

Because he’s full of poo, that’s why

As soon as he got the chance to spend he took it

It was nothing but a cheap shot to pander to the fanbase. Like most of his comments

• Like 6

I love the way they are trying to say they appointed Slav on 40k a week because their business plan wasn’t ready

But now it’s ready they are appointing Hecky.

Surely they would just keep him as interim manager whilst they finish the business plan 

Or could it be that it’s not actually how it played out. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I love the way they are trying to say they appointed Slav on 40k a week because their business plan wasn’t ready

But now it’s ready they are appointing Hecky.

Surely they would just keep him as interim manager whilst they finish the business plan 

Or could it be that it’s not actually how it played out. 

Ahh yes, the genius business plan which involves paying up 2.5 years of £2m a year contract 

lol 

2 hours ago, owl_83 said:

Do you believe in Father Christmas as well ?

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, alanharper said:

How can they be struggling financially when they had players worth this much?

Yes, that's genuinely Ravel Morrison he's talking about... 

And I think of the players they've moved on from this list the only actual return they've had is Oliver Burke, who they swapped for "15-30 million Robinson".

20211125_232649.jpg.ffaa24d472ba906b2833141ae5bf32cd.jpg

How old is that list? £2 million for Sharpy.  What's the valuation for Jagielka? it's either I don't know or 1 Danish Krona?

😀

1 hour ago, the third man said:

Just checked, Brewster is there until 2025, the only way they will get rid of him is to cancel his contract and pay him off, no one is going to buy him and pay his wages

his value is quoted at £8.1million, quite a loss in a season and a half

No one in the Prem would gamble on him after his performance at S2 so far and no one in the Championship has £8m to risk anymore. They'd be lucky for anyone to come in for Brewster as his wages are likely to be very high too.